Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 10:10 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,660,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I know that, I was making a point. mass market cars usually don't have over 400hp either- which is what he said awd is a must for, and it isn't.
I never said it was a "must" it just typically makes the car easier to control for inexperienced drivers. Some vehicles have a reputation for being wild and hairy and hard to deal with, like Vipers. Cars like R8s and Gallardos are generally easier to handle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 02:17 PM

4,857 posts, read 5,777,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I never said it was a "must" it just typically makes the car easier to control for inexperienced drivers. Some vehicles have a reputation for being wild and hairy and hard to deal with, like Vipers. Cars like R8s and Gallardos are generally easier to handle.
Lol, can't really argue with that logic. Granted t/c, and grip hasn't been surpassed, nothing like a front skid to grow hair on your chest.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:08 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,080,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
So if you were me, would you get a car with AWD or 4X4? I mean I'm not an off-roader or anything like that. I just seem to get unlucky trying unfamiliar roads or short-cuts.
Try buying better tires first. My 2x4 RWD Ford F150 had no issues on back roads with a foot of snow on them when I was rolling on BF Goodrich four season radials. I eventually had to replace them and bought some Michelin four season radials which have almost no traction on wet pavement, never mind in snow. The performance difference between the two brands were like night and day, despite Michelin having a reputation as one of the best quality tires on the market.

As for your original question, the most capable off-road production vehicle being sold today is the Jeep Wrangler, and it has used 4 wheel drive since they first started making them in 1941.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:34 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,109,235 times
Quote:
My last three cars were RWD over 400 hp and no trouble in the world from them.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:31 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,660,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My last three cars were RWD over 400 hp and no trouble in the world from them.
I guess you aren't inexperienced. Would you want your 16yo's first car to be a 400hp RWD?

Old 11-25-2015, 04:18 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,078,280 times
After dealing with the winters out here for the past, three years, I'd say just carry a shovel and drive carefully until you no longer have to deal with any of that mess.
I'm still paying for my current pickup truck and unless I could find a good deal on some manual transmission, unaltered, classic ex-military Jeep(a'la M*A*S*H), then I'm not expending any extra funds or credit on something I don't plan on using outside of emergencies.

I still don't see the fun in taking a perfectly good vehicle and getting it stuck in mud, snow, or some other road condition conducive to a developing nation.
I do that every day in some of the places I have to drive a semi-tractor.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:44 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,109,235 times
Quote:
I guess you aren't inexperienced. Would you want your 16yo's first car to be a 400hp RWD?
Mine was close.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:12 PM

20,251 posts, read 36,945,607 times
Quote:
What I would do is to teach my 16-year old how to drive the car or truck. Now a lot of old farts learned how to drive what are now considered dangerous automobiles, and even how to handle firearms, when we were very young

Old 11-27-2015, 11:23 PM

20,251 posts, read 36,945,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
SOME (most these days) AWD systems have a manner in which to lock the diff, it is not however a requirement to be AWD. An completely open diff AWD would act like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68lEFjjG798
(yes there is osmething wrong with that car, just the first example I could find. 3 open diffs + one loose wheel = stuck )

Subaru has a much more effective capacity to sort of lock the center diff than most AWD vehicles.

The downfall of AWD is when torque is needed. When that happens most AWD systems cannot send enough torque to the axle that needs it. Locking the center diff (4x4) makes it happen.
There are several AWD systems that work as well or better than Subaru's. Mitsubishi uses one of the best in the world in some of their rally cars, Audi has a very advanced one, and so on. But I would agree with you that Subaru's is a good bang for the money.

That said, I wonder if all AWD systems are designed by a very few companies, and then licensed to other automobile manufacturers?

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-27-2015 at 11:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive