Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 11:32 AM

250 posts, read 1,114,857 times

Advertisements

I've owned 2 Subaru Outbacks over the years.. neither got "good MPG" for their size. Plus, their Symmetrical AWD system is prone to high wear and failure. Also, the AWD system made them twitchy at highway speeds. I really did like both of those cars, but I really wish they would employ an on/off button for the AWD system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 12:10 PM

11,153 posts, read 29,139,769 times
Too bad it is not the early 00's where a mid 90's Jeep Cherokee XJ or even a 90's Suzuki Sidekick/Chevy Tracker and GMT 330 platform Blazer ZR2 Off-road Trim where dirt cheap but very capable used 4x4 with tons of parts availability great buys for a cheap 4x4 for very little money. (compared to buying new)

Those older Suv's would take you where most modern CUV's that cost $60K+ could never go and be found in $5K-$8K Range all day long for decent well maintained versions.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:13 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,901,923 times
4X4. Im not a fan of AWD.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:19 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,243,414 times
The newer Subarus get decent mileage, but older models consumed about the same as a larger crossover or small SUV. If you are looking to add a car, I would look for a maintained Land Cruiser as they are very reliable, and very capable. The downside is that the size/weight of the Land Cruiser is that it will use more fuel than a FWD sedan. However, for inclement weather, or driving in rural areas, you'd be hard-pressed to find something as reliable and off-road ready as a Land Cruiser or Lexus LX. Range Rovers are capable, but reliability pales in comparison to a Land Cruiser. A new Land Cruiser is about $75k, and the Lexus a bit more, and they do retain their value well, but I have seen examples with 80-90k miles for $10-$12k. The previous generation FJ100 series also had a lever for seleciting 4WD mode, as opposed to the switches in the current generation.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-10-2015, 12:25 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,130,734 times
For you I'd probably recommend AWD. I've owned more 4x4s and insist on them for rugged mountain trails, but for highway driving, where you simply need a little something extra (above FWD/RWD) for rain, snow or ice, AWD outperforms 4x4s. I seldom drive on the highway with 4x4 engaged. I simply don't like the way it can handle at highway speeds on slick patches. If the road is mostly snow/ice covered, then 4x4 is fine, but it still doesn't outperform AWD.

I agree with the earlier poster who suggested that you sign up for AAA. Better yet, check with your insurance carrier and compare its version of roadside coverage with AAA's. In most cases you can get the same coverage for half the cost of AAA.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:22 PM

455 posts, read 384,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
Yesterday, I was driving in an unfamiliar remote area in my FWD sedan when I ended up on a mountain road with soft sand (thanks Google Navigation!). As it got deeper and deeper, I did a U-turn to try and go back up the road but that's when I got stuck. I tried the Drive/Reverse thing but all it did was spin and dig deeper. I dug the tires out and put it in reverse, slammed on the gas and miraculously worked. Drove "off-road" on firmer ground until I reached another road. I have to admit, I was pretty panicked since nearest paved road was 20 miles away and doubt AAA would've come.

Another time, I was headed home when my RWD vehicle couldn't handle an inch of snow and I had to abandon it on the road and walk the mile home at midnight.

I've been stuck at least 5 more times in mud, soft sand and snow. I've sometimes had to dig for hours to get the cars out but never had to call a tow truck which I've heard costs like $300 & up.

So if you were me, would you get a car with AWD or 4X4? I mean I'm not an off-roader or anything like that. I just seem to get unlucky trying unfamiliar roads or short-cuts.
Here's the deal, I'm not a gear head and couldn't talk myself through all the specs but it comes down to this. An AWD will be good enough and even if you get a 4X4, they still get stuck. The power just goes to all tires or potentially selective in some AWD types. Unless you get slip differential and lockers (and that's not even a guarantee) you may be able to power up the non stuck tires and get yourself out.

A tip - lower the tire pressure in soft sand/earth for more grip or tire coverage or.....dig, sometimes a piece of wood or rock (whatever is handy) slipped under the tire works too We got our 4x4 jeep REAL stuck in a bog with one tire up in the air. No option will get you out of that other than a big cattle truck and a chain

Maybe go rent an AWD and then a 4x4 and see how you handle them....if you intend to go on these misadventures you might also invest in some driving courses that teach you some new techniques Have fun and enjoy the adventure!

Old 11-10-2015, 02:45 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,910,861 times
We have both. An AWD is good for 95% of the time. It's great in snow if its heavy enough (we have a traverse.... it's a Tank in the snow).

But if you don't live in the snow belt and have incidents like you mentioned, a 4X4 would work just fine for the occasional "I need help" times.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:13 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,863,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
No, not for a vehicle like a Subaru, they get good MPG. I haven't had any more wear and tear and maintenance costs compared to a FWD vehicle other than the fact I had to replace all four tires at the same time as was required.
Every Subaru owner I know has had expensive repairs when car gets older.
Maybe down South with flat roads it's different.
Not here in hill and mountain country with snow and salt on roads.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:51 PM

806 posts, read 949,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
If I were you, I'd seriously consider getting a membership in the AAA.
I have AAA. But according to their conditions & restrictions, they can refuse help if you are more than 100 ft from a paved road. Remember this happened 20 miles from one.

So I would need to call a specialty tower.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:09 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,617,896 times
AWD vs 4WD, it really depends on what you are looking for in a vehicle. most 4X4s are truck type vehicles, where as most AWDs are more car like. also note that there are some 4X4 systems that are designed to be both full time and part time systems. for instance there are F150 4X4s that have the NP208 transfer case that has a center differential where you can put the truck into 4WD and drive on hard pavement with no issues.

so decide, do you want a truck like vehicle, explorer, blazer, ramcharger, bronco, bronco ll, tahoe, etc.

or do you want something more car like, amc eagle wagon, any of the subarus, various volvos, audi quattro, etc.

if you want/need a truck, then 4X4 is for you. if not then AWD works just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive