Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 01:14 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
So my X5M is in the shop and I was given a loaner from the dealership. It really was just taken off the lot. A brand new 2016 328. When I drove away it still had the glue on the windows from the sticker and had 30 miles on it.

My wife was coming home from then gym and a deer jumped into the side of the car. She was fine but now there are dents all along the passenger side of the car.

I have contacted my insurance and the dealership and everyone seems okay with it but I am worried. They take such good care of me at the dealership and here I go and bring back a brand new car that is damaged.

What should I do as far as the dealership goes? Do I give my SA a gift card or anything to say sorry? I want to stay in their good graces lol
So.....how's the deer? All this worry over the car and not a word about the deer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 10:19 AM

6,738 posts, read 2,906,835 times
Having worked in a dealership, I could relate many horror stories of accidental damage done to customer vehicle and dealer owned vehicles, this stuff is common place. The dealership probably has thousands of cars a month pass through their doors, a few little blips a months doesn't raise any eyebrows at all.
Your story is just a piece of paper in their in basket, no one at the dealership is giving it a second thought, it's just another day at the office. Business as usual, forget about it, they already have.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:33 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
I feel bad because it wasn't my car.

If it had 10000 miles on it I wouldn't have cared as much but this thing was brand new.

I have the loaner through the weekend at the very least. The x5m has a vacuum leak they can't find.
Part of what you're paying for in your $100,000 car purchase is the warranty which covers loaners when their product has a defect which they can't find out what the issue is and repair it in a timely fashion, typically within one day. So you're out the use of a $100,000 defective car you've paid for because they can't fix the problem. Part of that $100,000 includes a warranty which warranty includes the use of a much cheaper car while they try and fix their defective product. While they're trying to fix their defective product, a deer runs into the side of the car that you're paying for as part of your purchase of the vehicle you can't use because it's defective.

Why do you feel bad? I'm not saying be mad at the dealership or BMW, but there's literally nothing to feel bad about. It's fortunate the deer ran into the loaner for you, sure, but that's just dumb luck. If the product you paid for wasn't defective you wouldn't be in this position, and part of what you paid for was a warranty against such defective products like they sold you. There's warranties and insurance already priced into the purchase price you paid. As long as they handle the situation appropriately, the only courtesy you owe them is consideration. Next time you buy a car, consider that dealer and BMW if they do right by you. If they expect anything more than that, they don't deserve your business anyway.

Last edited by Malloric; 11-15-2015 at 05:53 AM..

Old 11-15-2015, 07:37 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
That's what ins is for and you already apologized, accidents happen end of story.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:43 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
These things happens more than you think (at least that's what the loaner department person told me). I had a 320i for a one day loaner last December. Car had less than 1000 miles on it and on my way to returning it, I got rear ended just an intersection from the dealership. Insurance paid (they went after the other driver's insurer) and things when on. No need to feel bad for the car or the dealership.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:41 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Default Dealer will not auction. Ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
They will make it like new again? Are you kidding? Even doing the best job that they can, the accident will affect the durability of everything from the paint to the suspension. It certainly can't be sold as new, or even a demo. The dealer will probably send it off to auction to keep from damaging their reputation. The worst part is that whoever buys it at auction will pull a Carfax that looks squeaky clean, since the shop certainly won't be reporting it.
Actually, the sale status of the car will have nothing to do with the accident. If it has not been titled, it will still be sold as new. Legally, a demo is a new car, just with miles on if for demonstration purposes. Financing and legal definitions consider it a new car unless it was titled and registered by the dealer or their parent organization.

If the accident meets a particular threshold it is reported as damage to the new car buyer. This threshold varies by state and may not actually be required at all. It was 6% of the value of the car when I sold, which meant you could do repairs to vehicles damaged in transit or on the lot up to 6% of window sticker value without legally needing to disclose it.

A dealer will not lose thousands by auctioning off a new car for a minor incident. They will get it repaired and either sell it off at a discount or let it slide without even disclosing if they can.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:46 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
So my X5M is in the shop and I was given a loaner from the dealership. It really was just taken off the lot. A brand new 2016 328. When I drove away it still had the glue on the windows from the sticker and had 30 miles on it.

My wife was coming home from then gym and a deer jumped into the side of the car. She was fine but now there are dents all along the passenger side of the car.

I have contacted my insurance and the dealership and everyone seems okay with it but I am worried. They take such good care of me at the dealership and here I go and bring back a brand new car that is damaged.

What should I do as far as the dealership goes? Do I give my SA a gift card or anything to say sorry? I want to stay in their good graces lol
A deer is not your fault. They likely have insurance to cover such things....I think a sincere apology and being right on it like you were is enough. But, a gift basket, or something for the office is a very nice gesture.
And....They will get miles out of this story....lol

Old 11-16-2015, 06:57 AM

13,706 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
They will make it like new again? Are you kidding? Even doing the best job that they can, the accident will affect the durability of everything from the paint to the suspension. It certainly can't be sold as new, or even a demo. The dealer will probably send it off to auction to keep from damaging their reputation. The worst part is that whoever buys it at auction will pull a Carfax that looks squeaky clean, since the shop certainly won't be reporting it.
It will get fixed and sold as brand new. This doesn't affect the car mechanically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
So.....how's the deer? All this worry over the car and not a word about the deer?
Delicious, why do you ask? seriously though, the deer hit the car, the car didn't hit the deer. I would guess the deer has a headache and a mild concussion but they usually run off after hitting cars. And it happens more often than you might think.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:32 AM

52 posts, read 96,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
You handle the insurance claim like an adult and apologize for any inconvenience to them. Deer strikes are typically considered an "act of God" on insurance policies since there is no third party and life goes on. Dealerships have vehicles damaged and in accidents all the time, it is a part of the business that is simply unavoidable.

It is refreshing to hear someone actually caring and wanting to do the right thing, but it should have little effect on your relationship with the dealer.
Not nitpicking, but I believe it's called a "comprehensive loss" due to the deer strike happening while the deer was alive. Had the OP's wife hit it when it was road kill, it would be considered a "collision loss" due to striking or colliding with an inanimate object. That could have had a different, um, impact, on the situation. Just what I recall from my days in insurance.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:36 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshaman View Post
Not nitpicking, but I believe it's called a "comprehensive loss" due to the deer strike happening while the deer was alive. Had the OP's wife hit it when it was road kill, it would be considered a "collision loss" due to striking or colliding with an inanimate object. That could have had a different, um, impact, on the situation. Just what I recall from my days in insurance.
You are correct, it comes under the comprehensive coverage. Some policies have an additional clause, if you will, that the deductible for a deer hit is either reduced or waived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive