Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 12:09 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times

Advertisements

I don't know what state you live in but ignorance of the law is no excuse and if you are blatant with your insubordination, you may end up in a situation where you will have to study the laws at night or weekends in traffic school.
Cops have a tough job as it is dealing with knuckleheads every day.
How about giving them a break ?
Highway Safety Laws by State

Aggressive driving laws by state.
The term aggressive driving covers a range of unsafe driver behaviors. State laws define what constitutes aggressive driving and stipulate the related fines and penalties. Often, a driver must demonstrate more than one action to be considered aggressive.

State Aggressive Driving Laws
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 12:58 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
I don't know what state you live in but ignorance of the law is no excuse and if you are blatant with your insubordination, you may end up in a situation where you will have to study the laws at night or weekends in traffic school.
Cops have a tough job as it is dealing with knuckleheads every day.
How about giving them a break ?
Highway Safety Laws by State

Aggressive driving laws by state.
The term aggressive driving covers a range of unsafe driver behaviors. State laws define what constitutes aggressive driving and stipulate the related fines and penalties. Often, a driver must demonstrate more than one action to be considered aggressive.

State Aggressive Driving Laws
I was not aggressive. If anything the cop flashing his light at drivers on the road was the one acting recklessly.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:24 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Night time situation. 4 lane highway. 2 lanes each direction. Driving on right lane getting ready to exit. Not bumper to bumper traffic but steady flow of cars in both lanes.

Blah blah blah... I decided to stay in the right lane when I near the exit she has her flashlight literally pointing at every passing car effectively telling them to move over.

To me her beaming her flashlight at moving cars on the highway presented a high safety risk....

I just think it was very irresponsible for the cop to behave in that manner.
Interesting how the wording in your post seem to make you out to be some kind of saint with all-knowing wisdom regarding safety and a law officer waving a flashlight is an evil agent of blinding light putting all at risk in the deep, dark night.

First of all, you don't know what the issue was on the side of the road, by your own admission. Secondly, you have no idea what it is like to be in a blue uniform, out in the dark helping a citizen on the side of a busy highway, waiting to be the next statistic because some drunk or doper (it was CO right?) was mesmerized by the flashing lights and took you out.

I have yet to see a handheld flashlight issued to officers that is really bright enough to be blinding. Most people keep their screen on the iphone brighter while texting at 80 mph.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Interesting how the wording in your post seem to make you out to be some kind of saint with all-knowing wisdom regarding safety and a law officer waving a flashlight is an evil agent of blinding light putting all at risk in the deep, dark night.

First of all, you don't know what the issue was on the side of the road, by your own admission. Secondly, you have no idea what it is like to be in a blue uniform, out in the dark helping a citizen on the side of a busy highway, waiting to be the next statistic because some drunk or doper (it was CO right?) was mesmerized by the flashing lights and took you out.

I have yet to see a handheld flashlight issued to officers that is really bright enough to be blinding. Most people keep their screen on the iphone brighter while texting at 80 mph.
It's blinding when it's dark and someone unexpectedly shines a bright tactical flashlight in your field of view, cop or not.

We know where you bias lies.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:37 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
"Dopers" ??? Really??? What is this, Reefer Madness? LOL.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:39 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
If I could not move over, I would slow down as slow as safely possible and go on by. The police-person would probably appreciate my action and I would not have my day ruined. Life is so simple, why make it complicated?

Old 11-16-2015, 02:05 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
The police officer put his/her life in danger simply by being there. I would think it would have been better to use the light to motion oncoming traffic to slow down rather than at them.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
If I could not move over, I would slow down as slow as safely possible and go on by. The police-person would probably appreciate my action and I would not have my day ruined. Life is so simple, why make it complicated?
Exactly. I (and other drivers) slowed down. Why did the cop complicate matters by flashing their light

Old 11-16-2015, 04:22 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Why did the cop complicate matters by flashing their light (?)
None of us can answer that question.
If you wanted a definite answer, you would have needed to ask the cop.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:32 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Night time situation. 4 lane highway. 2 lanes each direction. Driving on right lane getting ready to exit. Not bumper to bumper traffic but steady flow of cars in both lanes.

Notice ahead that trooper is stopped on right side of road assisting/ticketing vehicle. Not sure of law in CO but generally it is advised that if possible switch over for safety reasons. Well there were a line of cars ahead behind me and they weren't really switching over and my exit was coming up (cop was literally stopped right before exit). I decided to stay in the right lane when I near the exit she has her flashlight literally pointing at every passing car effectively telling them to move over.

To me her beaming her flashlight at moving cars on the highway presented a high safety risk. Me trying to move over to the left lane to accommodate her and then immediately moving back to the right to exit would have been far riskier. Note there were cars behind me and would probably have created an uneasy situation for both parties.

I just think it was very irresponsible for the cop to behave in that manner.
If you can't move to the left lane, slow down on the lane you already are at until passing the police car. That's all there is to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive