Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 11:29 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,658,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Camry is pretty easy. Corolla is even easier.....however, seeing how you seldom HAVE to work on them, it makes it all the better overall?

Can't say that about Ford....
Can't say that about Chevy...
Can really start laughing about Lincolns and Cadillacs
Can even laugh harder about Fiat.....
Can't stop laughing about Chrysler....

Buy a Toyota. After all, why buy the others/misery?

I would refrain from hanging my hat on Toyota because they have been historically easier to maintain. That's not necessarily the case with the brand new ones. We just traded in a 2014 Toyota Venza because of all the problems we had with it. Our friends did the same with their Avalon hybrid.

Their quality is about on par with everyone else now honestly. Our friend is the service manager at one of the local Toyota dealerships and he tells us all kinds of stories that you didn't hear ten years ago about Toyota failures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 11:31 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,958,672 times
Quote:
Camry is pretty easy. Corolla is even easier.....however, seeing how you seldom HAVE to work on them, it makes it all the better overall?

My 4 Toyotas were FAR more troublesome than my 2 Fords. On top of that, theyre harder to work on, and the parts are more expensive. I currently have 175K miles on my Focus, and havent spent more than $200 in parts in the 8 years Ive owned it. Granted, my Toyotas were older (late 80s and early 90s), but that was when they were MORE "reliable" than they are now, and I was sinking thousands of dollars into repairs. Whether it was axles (both 87 and 90 pickups), transmissions (Paseo and Prizm), brake master cylinder (87 p/u), radiator (Paseo), sliding rear window (90 p/u), throttle body (Paseo), window regulator (Paseo), timing chain guide (87 p/u), fan clutch (90 p/u)....

My Toyotas were an effin nightmare! $260 for a Toyota throttle body... $400 for a drive axle... $275 for a radiator... I was nickled and dimed to death. Screw Toyota. Im sticking with Ford from here on out. Not only are they more fun to drive, but my two have been virtually bulletproof. The ONLY time I was left stranded in my Focus was when the neutral safety switch literally broke (connector body came apart -- probably due to the intense AZ heat) and I couldnt start it. I walked down the street to Auto Zone, and $22 later and about 5 minutes in labor I was back on the road.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:32 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,377,992 times
Quote:

OK, but it's a Toyota "boring"

Old 11-19-2015, 11:36 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,132,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
My 4 Toyotas were FAR more troublesome than my 2 Fords. On top of that, theyre harder to work on, and the parts are more expensive. I currently have 175K miles on my Focus, and havent spent more than $200 in parts in the 8 years Ive owned it. Granted, my Toyotas were older (late 80s and early 90s), but that was when they were MORE "reliable" than they are now, and I was sinking thousands of dollars into repairs. Whether it was axles (both 87 and 90 pickups), transmissions (Paseo and Prizm), brake master cylinder (87 p/u), radiator (Paseo), sliding rear window (90 p/u), throttle body (Paseo), window regulator (Paseo), timing chain guide (87 p/u), fan clutch (90 p/u)....

My Toyotas were an effin nightmare! $260 for a Toyota throttle body... $400 for a drive axle... $275 for a radiator... I was nickled and dimed to death. Screw Toyota. Im sticking with Ford from here on out. Not only are they more fun to drive, but my two have been virtually bulletproof. The ONLY time I was left stranded in my Focus was when the neutral safety switch literally broke (connector body came apart -- probably due to the intense AZ heat) and I couldnt start it. I walked down the street to Auto Zone, and $22 later and about 5 minutes in labor I was back on the road.

Ford parts arent cheap at all if you go OEM from the dealer. I was quoted $90 for 6 o-rings for the valve cover gaskets and the aftermarket for $12 total for all 6 when I checked online. But aftermarket Ford parts have alot of choices and great prices. What ever you see price wise for aftermarket Ford parts, the OEM version will usually be 50% more.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:37 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
any vintage falcon. mustang, camaro, nova, etc. something built before 1970.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:18 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,958,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Ford parts arent cheap at all if you go OEM from the dealer. I was quoted $90 for 6 o-rings for the valve cover gaskets and the aftermarket for $12 total for all 6 when I checked online. But aftermarket Ford parts have alot of choices and great prices. What ever you see price wise for aftermarket Ford parts, the OEM version will usually be 50% more.
I bought a TPS for the Focus, cost me under $30 through Ford. A TPS for my Toyota Paseo was nearly $100, and that was over 10 years ago. Id hate to see what Toyota charges these days.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:20 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,498,002 times
Look into a Honda CRV.
Plenty of room for both of you...reliable, good gas mileage, and easy to work on.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:33 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,035,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
any vintage falcon. mustang, camaro, nova, etc. something built before 1970.
This, really. The easiest car I know of to maintain is an air-cooled VW Bug. They take, relatively, a lot of maintenance compared to a modern car, but all of it is stone easy to do, very few special tools.

I could change the engine in a Bug faster than just spark plugs in some transverse V-6 cars.

Any old classic Mustang or Camaro will be easy to work on, if you avoid wrecking it you pay only for gas, tires, and oil - no depreciation at all. Parts availability for the cult cars remains good and should be good for foreseeable future.

And they are *not* boring.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:12 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,299,034 times
A basic no frills Domestic Half ton 2WD or 4WD PU truck with a V6 or small N/A V8 like a the Ford F150, Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra 1500, Dodge Ram 1500 are best IMO and built to last longer work harder under heavy loads and are easier to work due to popularity with not just Civilian but with independent trades workers and contractors and used in Government and Non-Government commercial fleets.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:05 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
I think the whole reliability factor depends on what kind of issue. There are those issues that cost money to fix but the car still works vs those issues that prevents the car from running.

I've seen lots of Euros on the side of the road with issues than both domestics and Japanese cars. Most of the issue I've seen is electronics or over-heating. A lot of Bimmer with electric issues just won't start, died like a bad laptop that wouldn't boot.

Japanese car have issues but you rarely see them won't run even with issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive