Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 05:00 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I was scarred by an XC90 with transmission issues as well, going through three under warranty. However, I do like Volvo overall, and with the 2.5T engine, you may not have the most power, but the engine is proven. I would consider the new XC90 as well, which I think I mentioned in your other thread a couple of weeks ago, but knowing that early introductions of new models from a smaller manufacturer like Volvo can be a bit problematic, would hedge bets on the engines. V8s were never Volvo's forte, more the 5 and 6-cylinder engines were the brand's focus. The early S80 also had issues, so completely new introductions may need a year or two to work out the issues, but I have not heard of anything major and know people with new XC90s.
I like BMW as a brand just not the BMW SUV's I like the 3 series and the M3 and M5 not too much of a fan of the six and seven series I heard bad things about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 05:39 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I was scarred by an XC90 with transmission issues as well, going through three under warranty. However, I do like Volvo overall, and with the 2.5T engine, you may not have the most power, but the engine is proven. I would consider the new XC90 as well, which I think I mentioned in your other thread a couple of weeks ago, but knowing that early introductions of new models from a smaller manufacturer like Volvo can be a bit problematic, would hedge bets on the engines. V8s were never Volvo's forte, more the 5 and 6-cylinder engines were the brand's focus. The early S80 also had issues, so completely new introductions may need a year or two to work out the issues, but I have not heard of anything major and know people with new XC90s.
The 2016 Volvo T6 engine is a newly designed lightweight, both supercharged and turbocharged four-cylinder that is getting a lot of praise from gearheads on the design/performance. Never thought I'd consider a 4 cylinder but it was surprisingly peppy in sports mode (can't compete with a Porsche Cayenne, but suitable for my needs). In Motortrend's straight-away road tests it beats competitor 4-cylinders. Also has new 8-speed automatic Geartronic transmission. They will start rolling out this new architecture to the other Volvo models. There also may be a sports coupe in the works.

More about XC90 Drive-E power train/triple charged engine...
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/07/v...linder-engine/

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 12-03-2015 at 06:07 PM..

Old 12-03-2015, 06:44 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Volvo XC90 has completely won me over. I went back to the dealership today to price up the top Inscription model with all the bells & whistles... Got an unbelievable price (compared it against other dealers and threw in a Costco membership) for all these features (would have paid more). It's the exact AWD SUV we need - ability to switch suspensions/heights (off-road, luxury, sport), larger cargo area, comfy seating, 3rd row seating, the most state-of-the art safety/infotainment/connectivity/Touchscreen/Apple features out there - Reviewers (e.g. Motortrend) say only Tesla and Volvo currently offer these systems. Plus there was a customer in the service dept. telling me how a Volvo saved his life...

Then, to top it all off - we found out we could save the transit/import fees if we do the European delivery program, which includes airfare for 2 to/from Sweden, 5-star hotel, and we can use the car for 2 weeks (no need to rent a car for our Scandanavian ski trip). Not a bad deal.

Am a Volvo fan now.
Please come back and post pictures when you pick it up!

Old 12-03-2015, 06:46 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
I've owned a 2007 XC90 Sport V8 since new, now with 75k. I love it but I had a bad year for repairs this year, having spent over 10k for various items to keep it on the road. I just got it out of the shop yesterday, another 2k for a power steering pump and front spring seats. It prompted me to add up all of my invoices for service and repairs since new. Total was $17,422 and Volvo covered a 4k repair when the angle gear failed about 6 months after the factory warranty expired. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

Like I said, I love it but get an extended warranty! I don't think that would have even helped me this year given the fact that the car is 8 years old. Would I buy another one? Maybe, but I would definitely shop around. That Yukon Denali is looking pretty good right now.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Those were Ford designed/built. You can't really compare the two. Look at how many 850's and the predecessor the 240/740 are still on the road...mine is one of them...great cars when designed and built to Volvo specs.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:19 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
This forum has given me some great input on my current car search. I think I have narrowed my list to the following 2016 vehicles: BMW X5, Mercedes GLE (may consider the 2015 M), Porsche Cayenne

Appreciate any additional input from those experienced with these models. I have test driven the vehicles and am now researching options, reviews, road tests, maintenance/warranties, etc. I am leaning toward new 2016 models, but might consider a 2015 (perhaps 2014) CPO vehicle with low mileage.
I would advise you to save half the money and choose something much more sensible.

But you probably wouldn't listen. I hope one of these vehicles helps you feel better about yourself.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:49 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I would advise you to save half the money and choose something much more sensible.

But you probably wouldn't listen. I hope one of these vehicles helps you feel better about yourself.
Wanna know why you never get invited to any parties?

Old 12-04-2015, 02:26 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
This forum has given me some great input on my current car search. I think I have narrowed my list to the following 2016 vehicles: BMW X5, Mercedes GLE (may consider the 2015 M), Porsche Cayenne

Appreciate any additional input from those experienced with these models. I have test driven the vehicles and am now researching options, reviews, road tests, maintenance/warranties, etc. I am leaning toward new 2016 models, but might consider a 2015 (perhaps 2014) CPO vehicle with low mileage.
Neither of the above. The X5 interior seems too plastic and cheap. The GLE has crappy resale value. The Porsche, don't know much about that one.

I looked at the above and settled on a Range Rover. Black exterior with Alpaca cream interior. Well built, oodles of features and best of all, they depreciate the less out of all the luxury SUVs.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:06 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
For some reason, he Porsche Cayenne is not very popular in my area. MB GLE is popular as is the X5. I can tell you the back seat (cayenne) was uncomfortable in the past, maybe not now, it's been a while since I test drove it. The X5 has gotten bigger and has great handling. If you think you will keep the car only 4 or 5 years or less, I like the X5.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

Duly noted.... After considering your sage advice, I will look for a cheap, sensible SUV better equipped to handle my myriad of self-esteem issues.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Wanna know why you never get invited to any parties?
That made me laugh! Wish I could rep you again....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive