Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 05:24 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Don't know much about Porsches or Acura either, apparently.

My MDX has had far more problems than my Cayenne has, and in only 1/3 the ownership time. Porsche as a brand has better reliability than Acura, pretty much every year, btw.
Porsche #1 in customer satisfaction
J.D. Power's Initial Quality Study Yields Unexpected Results - Business Insider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 05:54 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Really? Recommending a pickup truck to someone looking at high-end luxury SUV's? That's a reach, even for the C-D Auto forum.
Well to be fair these days PU truck do reach levels of luxury that are on par with entry to mid-level luxury cars and can get into high 60's low 70K price range quite easy these days and many people that used to own a Range Rover may end up with a Full-Size PU truck if they need to tow or haul a trailer or power boat or own Horses .

Old 12-04-2015, 08:49 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
J.D. Power: Lexus ranked most reliable, Buick up to #2

Porsche is tied with Honda for reliability, and Mercedes has made a lot of strides towards being reliable again.

Only BMW is a money pit.
Don't confuse initial quality with reliability down the road. Porsche may come out of the factory with everything working right but my 2014 Cayenne GTS has had a lot of issues cropping up lately. Seat heaters that don't work, trim coming loose, power lift gate issues. They all my run forever but you will be nagged to death by the nickel and dime stuff.

My wife's 8 year old Lexus SUV has no-one of these problems. Heck, it has had zero problems since new.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:24 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Well to be fair these days PU truck do reach levels of luxury that are on par with entry to mid-level luxury cars and can get into high 60's low 70K price range quite easy these days and many people that used to own a Range Rover may end up with a Full-Size PU truck if they need to tow or haul a trailer or power boat or own Horses .
Pickups these days are seriously nice, however I don't think one with a camper shell would replace an SUV. Getting stuff in and out of the back is an annoying hassle that involves climbing, while an SUV is designed to be easy to unload.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:11 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Don't confuse initial quality with reliability down the road. Porsche may come out of the factory with everything working right but my 2014 Cayenne GTS has had a lot of issues cropping up lately. Seat heaters that don't work, trim coming loose, power lift gate issues. They all my run forever but you will be nagged to death by the nickel and dime stuff.

My wife's 8 year old Lexus SUV has no-one of these problems. Heck, it has had zero problems since new.
My link had nothing to do with initial quality. My link was for vehicles that are three years old. Cityguy posted a link on initial quality.

Your experience doesn't mirror anyone's experience that I know, or mine. My Cayenne is 10 years old now, and it's been the most reliable car I've ever owned. My 911 Turbo has only been slightly less reliable, though I also don't have near the same mileage as the Cayenne does.

Lexus is always at the top when it comes to reliability. That's no surprise, Toyota does very well too. But there are so many posters who know absolutely nothing about Porsche who are always posting how unreliable they are. It's simply not true, and you know they've clearly never owned one before.

When you compare the Cayenne's power, handling, and other attributes against Toyota/Lexus, it wins in almost every category. If Lexus manages to be better in the reliability department, that's really not a selling point in my book if they have half the horsepower, half the towing capacity, and half the offroad chops, while being far uglier to boot. They should win at something!

Old 12-04-2015, 10:25 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
My link had nothing to do with initial quality. My link was for vehicles that are three years old. Cityguy posted a link on initial quality.

Your experience doesn't mirror anyone's experience that I know, or mine. My Cayenne is 10 years old now, and it's been the most reliable car I've ever owned. My 911 Turbo has only been slightly less reliable, though I also don't have near the same mileage as the Cayenne does.

Lexus is always at the top when it comes to reliability. That's no surprise, Toyota does very well too. But there are so many posters who know absolutely nothing about Porsche who are always posting how unreliable they are. It's simply not true, and you know they've clearly never owned one before.

When you compare the Cayenne's power, handling, and other attributes against Toyota/Lexus, it wins in almost every category. If Lexus manages to be better in the reliability department, that's really not a selling point in my book if they have half the horsepower, half the towing capacity, and half the offroad chops, while being far uglier to boot. They should win at something!
Porsche is way better than Lexus in everything. Its not really a fair fight.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:20 AM

428 posts, read 1,082,964 times
Our 2013 Lincoln MKX lease is up in 2 months so went shopping. Considered 2016 MKX, explorer Sport and Lexus RX.
Test drove 2016 BMW X5 and came home with it that night.
My wife loved how it drives and feels and she is not a car person.
We went with X line, 20 inch rims, alpine white over mocha with running boards.
3 neighbors are now looking at BMW!

Old 06-30-2017, 09:02 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
J.D. Power: Lexus ranked most reliable, Buick up to #2

Porsche is tied with Honda for reliability, and Mercedes has made a lot of strides towards being reliable again.

Only BMW is a money pit.
JD Power is useless for long term reliability and cost of ownership data. The OP is buying a late model used car. It's going to see all the problems expensive 4 or 5 year old luxury crossovers see. If you're leasing and dumping, sure. JD Power data is fine since it is the first 3 years of ownership.

I'm trying to imagine the bill at a Porsche dealership for pretty much anything.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:46 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
JD Power is useless for long term reliability and cost of ownership data. The OP is buying a late model used car. It's going to see all the problems expensive 4 or 5 year old luxury crossovers see. If you're leasing and dumping, sure. JD Power data is fine since it is the first 3 years of ownership.

I'm trying to imagine the bill at a Porsche dealership for pretty much anything.
Sure, to the last point. That's why it's smart to use independents, if your area has any of-note. Seattle has several that I know of. The dealer is just way-expensive for anything, don't do it.

My 10K oil change was $264.18 on my 911 GTS for rather exotic lubricants. That's just how it is. The guy up thread with a Turbo and "no problems" is smoking something, my 996 Turbo had little issues that came up in the 40K miles when I traded it for the GTS. That's just how they are, and little items are 2x or more the cost of Toyota problems. With 911s it's dumb stuff like window motors, leaking reservoirs, and front and rear bearings. The tires might be $350/each, too. It's all high-performance and doesn't tend to last quite as long.

Ferrari problems are 2x Porsche, at-least, same caveats. Know what you're getting into. Try changing the clutch on a Lamborghini Gallardo at 15K miles, you want expensive.

I'd buy a CPO Cayenne Turbo if I needed that kind of truckster. My best friend has a 110K (or so) mile X5 that breaks down often; this guy's a wrench though with a comprehensive set of tools. He does most, though not quite all, of his own work on that and his son's E39 530i. If you hold them, they will need work, it will cost money, and get the Lexus if you don't want to deal with any of that. End of story.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:25 PM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
I haven't driven all of those but I have put over 90k (130k on the clock) on my 2010 X5M and it has had little things go wrong but it has never broken down or left me stranded anywhere. Just my .02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive