Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 09:13 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I've been with Sirius for about 6 years or so.. I like it..

The music stations.. They do have DJs on them.. I haven't noticed them 'shilling' anything.. They talk up songs, etc.. I stick mainly to 80's on 8 and they do mention the "80's cruise" that you can go on, and they'll talk about Sammy Hagar's CaboWabo Tequila, but.. Not as advertising.

The music stations since the merger do seem to all have the proverbial box of records that they play over and over again. Obviously, there's a limited selection on something like 80's on 8.. They're not making new 80's music.. But.. When i first got it, you'd hear songs that you just don't now.. White Lines by Grandmaster Melle Mel. Pop Goes the World by Men Without Hats... They Don't Know by Tracey Ullman. The Monkees songs from their 80's reunion.. Now.. You don't hear those songs at all unless they're on one of the countdowns that are done every weekend. And, they got rid of Casey Kasem's countdowns for their own produced shows using the original MTV VeeJays (Who are the DJs for 80's on 8)
If they are repeating the same 80s songs in repetition then the DJs suck. Some years ago I had a boss who after hearing me listen to music on my laptop, asked me to come up with a playlist for the PA system. For the playlist I used 100% 80s hit songs. The songs repeated once about every 50 hours. So even the employees working the longest hours, never heard the same song more often then once a week.

It’s true they are not making it anymore, but I have been listening to 80s music non-stop since the 80s, and even now I hear songs, and even artists that I have never heard before.

Other decades may be a bit more difficult, but if you are a DJ and can’t come up with a 80s playlist that is not repetitious, then you need to find other work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 10:48 AM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
There are commercials all over the comedy channels. Every 5-10 minutes there's a male enhancement commercial, or life insurance commercial. I also hear these on the news channels.
Agreed.. Those are the comedy channels. I'm asking the people who say the music channels have commercials which ones they are talking about.

Howard has commercials, the sports stations have commercials.. I mean, these folks have to pee. But, outside of the 2 simulcasts, I can't remember ever hearing a commerical on the music channels. I have heard things that maybe some people would consider a commercial that I wouldn't.. They might advertise that "At 3pm today so and so will be in studio playing music." I think the 80's channel had Duran Duran do it one time.. Rick Springfield another.. And, a few years ago, they did a retrospective on the launch of MTV.. And the DJs were talking about the book they wrote (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ie=UTF8&btkr=1) which.. is an interesting read, but not great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
If they are repeating the same 80s songs in repetition then the DJs suck. Some years ago I had a boss who after hearing me listen to music on my laptop, asked me to come up with a playlist for the PA system. For the playlist I used 100% 80s hit songs. The songs repeated once about every 50 hours. So even the employees working the longest hours, never heard the same song more often then once a week.

It’s true they are not making it anymore, but I have been listening to 80s music non-stop since the 80s, and even now I hear songs, and even artists that I have never heard before.

Other decades may be a bit more difficult, but if you are a DJ and can’t come up with a 80s playlist that is not repetitious, then you need to find other work.
It's not the DJs, it's never the DJ's. It's Program Directors. Sirius or the PD made the decision around the merger time that rather than focusing on a wide range of songs, they would focus on top-10 hits. You give a good DJ free reign, and you'll see a station that plays all kinds of things. The old WHFS in Washington DC was like that. Of course, it's sometimes inmates running the asylum.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:58 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,247,758 times
Ehh, I equate the constant plugs by the DJs on those stations (whether it's for a band's album or other product, or another XM station) as commercials, regardless of semantics. Seems like on Classic Rewind it's every 5 songs the DJ is coming on to *** about something

Last edited by RiotAct41; 12-01-2015 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: Y - A - K is censored??? Seriously?

Old 12-01-2015, 01:28 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,699 times
Love Satellite radio for long trips. A bunch of short commutes, I couldn't care less. It's easy to install with a little knowledge. You can get a head unit that has everything you want.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:18 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,225 times
Ive had Sirius in my car for years and years. When I first got it, I did the lifetime member thing where you pay 400ish up front, and never had to spend a dime after that. It's more than paid for itself. I dont think they have this option any more though.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:58 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Which music stations have commercials? The only ones that I can think of that would are the simulcasts of KIIS in LA and Z-100 in NY. Since they're simulcasts, obviously, they'll have the same content as the base station.

I have heard the 'bumpers' for other stations.. I don't really consider those commercials. Alan Hunter does shows on both 80's on 8 and Classic Rewind and he'll mention as his shift on one ends that he's going over to the other channel.. I'd consider that more cross promotion than a commercial, tho.. That's like saying a jingle or a shout (DJ's name and station bumper) is a commercial

The Christmas stations (They started those a month ago!) there's a 15 second bumper every 30 minutes or so that lists all the different stations that are playing Christmas music. Again.. I don't consider that a commercial. So.. if we just have different views on what constitutes a commercial, that's one thing.. But.. If there's actual music stations with commercials.. I'd like to know which ones.
Like I already said, I do NOT listen to the channels you keep listing! I listen to the country channels. They do in fact have commercials. Not a ton. Some of the commercials are for other channels or shows on other channels. It's an ad and it's a commercial.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:59 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
One thing to remember, most data plans aren't affected by streaming music anymore (streaming music is essentially "free" for smartphone users on most major carriers), so that makes it cheaper than satellite for many people.
This is NOT the case with AT&T! Not at all.....unless you have a brand new plan and they've recently changed them. This was not the case when I had to change plans earlier this year. Streaming anything counts in my data. I would never assume anything is free especially with a cell phone. The carriers change their minds like the tides.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:34 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
This is NOT the case with AT&T! Not at all.....unless you have a brand new plan and they've recently changed them. This was not the case when I had to change plans earlier this year. Streaming anything counts in my data. I would never assume anything is free especially with a cell phone. The carriers change their minds like the tides.
I did say MOST, not ALL just because some people may have got bad deals. I talked with AT&T and streaming 8 hours a day, every day, would use up about 1.5 GB of data, so on a 5 GB data plan (currently $25 a month for a smartphone), you'd have a lot of headroom for streaming music. My T mobile and my friend's Sprint plans make streaming free, so it's pretty good for us. And Verizon is doing it as well, so AT&T won't be far behind, or they'll be left out of the market.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:50 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Like I already said, I do NOT listen to the channels you keep listing! I listen to the country channels. They do in fact have commercials. Not a ton. Some of the commercials are for other channels or shows on other channels. It's an ad and it's a commercial.
Advertisements are not commercials.

Which is why they can say that they have 72 commercial free music channels.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:17 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,216 times
If satellite radio sells commercials for revenue, why is the monthly subscription amount so expensive? Who is getting the money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive