Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 02:07 PM

145 posts, read 519,350 times

Advertisements

I loved my '76 red w/ black top and interior. My mother bought it new and it became mine in '82. Cost about 3k new and in '98 I sold it for 3k. Loved it while I was young and immortal, didn't want it when I started my family. I took great care of it and enjoyed the modifications to the engine: dual cadrones (sp?), bored out short block, etc. Beat a lot of cars off of the line and drove around with a bag of dry cement in the front end. Added an enormous sound system that today I would think obnoxious. A Lot Of Fun for that time in my life!! With the hair styles of the 80's and my treasured convert, I was a happy girl!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 07:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,839 times
Default balancing

Hi, I saw your post about the things you do. I have a question about balancing an engine? I am looking for someone to balance an old 4 cylinder ford engine for me both static and dynamic. can you help me> Or do you do it?
Thanks
my email is [email]colt9@mac.com[/email]

Old 07-08-2009, 01:26 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,082,432 times
My mother bought a used 2004 Beetle after the lease ended on her Jaguar and what a POS that was. The electrical system would go haywire and show kilometers instead of miles, random things would stop working, sometimes it wouldn’t start and I was the happiest person in the world when we finally sold it and got a new Nissan Maxima.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:34 PM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
I've got a 2000 Jetta TDI.. had it a little over a year now. I love it and have learned a lot about it. Since I can never leave anything stock, it's got a larger turbo, larger injector nozzles and a ECU reprogram. I drive pretty aggressivly so it's only getting 48mpg... I haven't broken that 50 barrier yet !

Old 07-09-2009, 05:50 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,262,232 times
I like this
Attached Thumbnails
Any VW fans out there?-09sciroccor_hi_007.jpg  

Old 07-10-2009, 12:41 PM

89 posts, read 527,192 times
Just bought my first VW which happens to be my 20th car. 2006 GTI, and although I never considered myself a VW person, I have to say I really do like it. Great upscale fit and finish, drives beautifully, and pretty fun. May be a convert

Old 07-10-2009, 08:05 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,039,693 times
'78 Rabbit and a '89 GTI, best cars I have ever owned from new. Still driving the GTI, 28 mpg in mountain driving, the best kind in this car, still a hoot to toss through the corners!

A squareback, beetle and SuperBeetle experience before that.

Love 'em, wish I could afford a Jetta SportWagon TDI right now.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:00 AM

3 posts, read 4,278 times
Default old yard vw

Hello - new member,

I found a 66 vw bug that was setting behind a fence from 1991 not ran owner die wife parked the car never look at it again. I can have the vw for 100.00 dollars. Would this car ever run again ?

Nice set up what I see - Mostly stock Has a 1835 type III with holly-300 bug spay,on a high rise manifold, dual header exhaust, Vary large tires on rear, cut fenders as a home made baja bug / street driver. all metal fenders.
What I like is it has a sun roof ? hope vw sells parts for it. looks factory to me. could be a nice car again.

Should I just rebuild the engine or try to save it and see if it will run again?
What is good is everything is there nothing missing.

Have you had this problem before ?
What are the steps to check and do before I try to start the engine which has not been running for a long time ?

I know I will have to drop the gas tank clean/replace all fuel lines.
Rebuild carb, If holly still sells a rebuild kit. air filter still on carb.looks like a K&N filter.
pull all plugs lube cylinders see if engine frozen.
Change oil and filter, has a outside oil cooler.
Looks like a after market distributor ? red cap not 009 style wider, maybe a good cleaning and lube change points all plug wires some electrical wires.

The wife said he would run high octane fuel from 76 station ( how long ago was that ) and she was afraid to drive the car too much power ! 1835 ?
maybe for a women to drive. It may have some trans work done because the tires set square not at a v like all vw's and it was running when she turn off the key in 1991.

Let me know if it is worth the time to bring the dead back to life !

Thanks
Johnnie

Old 08-31-2009, 12:11 AM

3 posts, read 4,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I've got a 2000 Jetta TDI.. had it a little over a year now. I love it and have learned a lot about it. Since I can never leave anything stock, it's got a larger turbo, larger injector nozzles and a ECU reprogram. I drive pretty aggressivly so it's only getting 48mpg... I haven't broken that 50 barrier yet !
How much money have you spent for the new items ? sounds like a nice car to buy and to play with.
2000 TDI should be able to buy at a low price.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:23 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
66 VW bug...sure it will run...18 yrs or less...NO problem.

How much money do you have?

As a VW mechanic/shop owner of 28 yrs have rebuilt/repaired my share.

I can give some good advice if your really interested...if not...then I won't waste my time.

Tried to help someone out with good info on a bug and they never had the courtesy to reply or thank me. Before retireing I was paid $48 an hr for my work an now offer it for free to just keep the cobwebs away.

DM me if interested.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen