Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 12:39 PM

7,908 posts, read 5,725,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxcarseeker View Post
I am looking for a sedan, crossover or SUV that meets the following criteria (listed in order of importance). Please help me find it.

I am looking to spend less than 40k out the door (MSRP could be well above that).

MUST HAVES:

1. Excellent acceleration (no pickup lag or jerky transmission)
2. Excellent handling (this may exclude all Asian cars...)
3. Excellent stereo (at least 400 watts, at least 9 speakers) and acoustics (I have done aftermarket stereos before and I honestly no longer want to deal with that hassle)
4. Sun/moonroof
5. Backup camera
6. Leather
7. Large infotainment display

OPTIONAL (in other words, I would be willing to pay above 40k if the following were available):

8. Lumbar support
9. Heated seats
10. Power trunk/tailgate door

Do yourself a favor and buy a used Porsche Cayenne Turbo S for $30,000, and bank the $10k for repairs/maintenance.

Porsche Cayenne Turbo 4DR SUV | eBay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 12:48 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,003,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxcarseeker View Post
I am looking for a sedan, crossover or SUV that meets the following criteria (listed in order of importance). Please help me find it.

I am looking to spend less than 40k out the door (MSRP could be well above that).

MUST HAVES:

1. Excellent acceleration (no pickup lag or jerky transmission)
2. Excellent handling (this may exclude all Asian cars...)
3. Excellent stereo (at least 400 watts, at least 9 speakers) and acoustics (I have done aftermarket stereos before and I honestly no longer want to deal with that hassle)
4. Sun/moonroof
5. Backup camera
6. Leather
7. Large infotainment display

OPTIONAL (in other words, I would be willing to pay above 40k if the following were available):

8. Lumbar support
9. Heated seats
10. Power trunk/tailgate door
Infiniti Q series sedans new.

Pre owned G Series

And you will erase your point 1 and 2.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:32 PM

455 posts, read 385,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Do yourself a favor and buy a used Porsche Cayenne Turbo S for $30,000, and bank the $10k for repairs/maintenance.

Porsche Cayenne Turbo 4DR SUV | eBay
70 k miles, a 2008 and it's gray pass.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:43 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,198,909 times
Americuh F Yeah!!

Charger Scat Pack

Old 12-01-2015, 03:59 PM

761 posts, read 910,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
Instead of snickering, why don't you come up with a suggestion for the OP? With all of the options listed, you won't be able to suggest much under $40k. And I'm assuming you've never driven an Accord V6, which I think is actually over powered, and the handling is excellent compared to other sedans in that price range.
I haven't come up with a suggestion for the OP because they need to at least decide on what style of vehicle they are looking for. With a screen name of "luxcarseeker" I certainly wouldn't bother listing ANYTHING that wasn't a higher end car... which neatly eliminates pretty much any Honda right off the bat, even if points 1 and 2 weren't already enough to do so.

I had some friends who used to drive an Accord. How does that joke go? "My lug nuts require more torque than your engine produces?"

Old 12-01-2015, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,073 times
thanks all for your suggestions, to be honest sedan or SUV does not matter

what matters is the perfect combo of the criteria ilisted

as for handling some SUVs handle better than sedans (for example i think the smaller BMW X SUVs handle better than an accord or camry)

my idea of great handling cars (this is only a partial list of cars i have actually tested):

most BMWs
most Mercedes
Mazda 6
Ford Fusion

sorry but the Honda interiors are a dealbreaker, as is the Honda definition of handling

i am looking for 0-60 times of low 6s (6-6.5)

the subaru interiors are also a dealbreaker and the subaru CVT is just horrendously bad

Old 12-01-2015, 05:23 PM

17,097 posts, read 11,943,054 times
Have you seen the new WRX? Their interiors have come a long way but yeah you would definitely want a stick not the cvt, as you would in most vehicles with that sort of performance.

But if that's out I would take a serious look at the VW GTI in autobahn trim or the Golf R.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:57 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,077,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
You're probably the only person on earth who would suggest a Jeep Wrangler to satify someone who wants excellent acceleration and handling.
Unlike you, I actually own one and don't base my opinions on the nonsense published in Consumer Reports.

Based on that and the fact you have offered no suggestions to the OP's original question other than to ridicule other people's posts, I strongly suspect you really don't know dick-all about cars, trucks or SUVs to begin with.

Big surprise there.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:12 PM

17,097 posts, read 11,943,054 times
Offroad "handling" sure. But those wranglers put down skidpad numbers in the .6 territory. That does not make for excellent handling. I've driven a few and wouldn't even be comfortable taking a highway ramp at speed much less a weekend auto-x course.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:31 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,077,314 times
I own a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. It has far more power than my Ford F150 with the 4.6 L Triton V8 did when new. Acceleration is fantastic, the ride is smooth and handling is great, especially in snow, mud or off roads. The ride would definitely be rougher in the 2dr model with the shorter wheelbase, but that's the trade off as they are far more effective off road and can go places nothing else can. I don't regularly take mine on the highway, by the I fail to see where your fear of gunning it would come from when I do. It has proved to be an excellent ride whether on the highway, road or trail with plenty of power that eats up anything you throw at it.

I initially looked at a Ford Explorer when I bought the Jeep. The Ford was a gutless POS in comparison. I test drove the Jeep after leaving the Ford dealership and the experience in the Jeep was like night and day.

Maybe you don't like Jeeps, domestics or SUVs in general. That's fine. But regurgitating the garbage written about the Wrangler in Consumer Reports isn't going to make you seem very knowledgeable to those of us that own one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive