Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 01:10 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightInExile View Post

Anyway, is it worth getting my car repaired or am I just throwing money away that will ultimately end up costing me more than it's trade-in value?

Or am I better off just getting a new car instead?
Reminds me of years ago a rep for a state was in Washington DC and had one heck of a beater, but couldn't afford new. So, for $3K he had the beater brought up to snuff. New car would have been $12K for 3 K he got a basically "New" car. Interior replaced, motor rebuilt and tranny rebuilt also.

No payments, no long term interest Looked like new also....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 11:29 AM

6 posts, read 9,689 times
Hmmm...... I guess I will keep my care and have it repaired. Also, I will not have to worry about car payments either! You guys make a good point about that, thanks!

Old 12-13-2015, 12:45 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
I would only repair the body if it was needed to stop water from coming in, or if there was a structural issue that could be a safety issue. Would keep driving it, but would be careful about driving very far from the city. Probably would not take it on any long road trips.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:40 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
You're going to pay for transportation. Even if it is a beater, putting money into any car is a fact of life. No, I am not going to say throw a new engine into a 500 dollar car. But a beater needs money thrown at it to keep it running, no biggie.

The key with beaters is to put just enough money into the thing for it to keep running safely and reliably......nothing more. I just put a new, 13 dollar, upper radiator hose in my vehicle, which is basically a junker. But the hose was going to burst.....so I had no choice, even if the rig goes to the junkyard in the next couple of weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive