Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2015, 11:43 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
My #3 above is, perhaps more than any other issue, THE prima facie evidence that the below market rate is tied to the purchase price of the vehicle, something that you have steadfastly denied throughout this discussion.
Let's be clear, no one has ever denied that at some point upstream in the process, far before a consumer ever even thinks about buying a car, the manufacturer has factored in profit and anticipated incentives and accounted for those.

But there is no direct correlation between the price a consumer ultimately pays for the car, which is all that really matters from a practical perspective, and incentivized financing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 11:50 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Let's be clear, no one has ever denied that at some point upstream in the process, far before a consumer ever even thinks about buying a car, the manufacturer has factored in profit and anticipated incentives and accounted for those.

But there is no direct correlation between the price a consumer ultimately pays for the car, which is all that really matters from a practical perspective, and incentivized financing.
Bingo. It's already been factored in long before we as consumers step into a dealership.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:54 AM

10,713 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:

I posted this a little while back:

Quote:
I have purchased several new cars where the manufacturer was offering teaser rates on financing. In every instance, upon paying cash, I received an additional discount off of the purchase price, approximately equal to the difference between the teaser interest rate and the current market rate for similar loans. YMMV.
My experiences aren't unique. There most certainly is a relationship between manufacturer sourced financing and vehicle price.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:55 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
I haven't moved the goalposts at all. The two points that you bring up are two sides of the exact same coin. There are three issues, and they are all tied together.

1) Below market rates on manufacturer provided financing are tied to the price of the car.
2) Money is never free, and a below market rate results in a higher price for the car. This is evidenced by the fact that after negotiating best price, paying cash for the car will result in a further discount (rather than a higher price resulting from the use of the "cheap" financing).
3) The 0% rate on loans is ONLY available when purchasing a product that the lender has an interest in. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get the same 0% financing if one ISN'T buying a product in which the lender has an interest.

My #3 above is, perhaps more than any other issue, THE prima facie evidence that the below market rate is tied to the purchase price of the vehicle, something that you have steadfastly denied throughout this discussion.

I really don't see how this could be any more clear.
That's what I have been saying all along. Never stated anything contrary to that.

But you can't wrap your head around the fact that two people with two separate credit histories can negotiate the same exact price for the same exact car models from the same dealership. Except one could conceivably end up paying 0% while the other 2.9%. Somehow this is inconceivable in your world.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Bingo. It's already been factored in long before we as consumers step into a dealership.
Read my above post. If it's "already been factored in" it would be impossible to get additional discounts as a result of NOT using the teaser rate financing.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
That's what I have been saying all along. Never stated anything contrary to that.

But you can't wrap your head around the fact that two people with two separate credit histories can negotiate the same exact price for the same exact car models from the same dealership. Except one could conceivably end up paying 0% while the other 2.9%. Somehow this is inconceivable in your world.
I have no trouble wrapping my head around that. If you believe otherwise based on what I have posted, you haven't been paying enough attention.

My point is quite simple. Let's add a third person to your example above. The third person pays cash for the vehicle, and as a result of not using the special financing, receives a discounted price lower than that paid by either of the two people in your example.

Your person #1 paid a market rate rate of interest, not 0% (based on the difference in final price paid by him, and my guy that paid cash). Your person #2 paid a greater than market rate. Remember, both #1 and #2 pay a higher price for the car. Only #3 pays the true market price of the car (which he is able to do because he didn't use the "0%" financing).

Old 12-23-2015, 12:12 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,267 times
Quote:
I have no trouble wrapping my head around that. If you believe otherwise based on what I have posted, you haven't been paying enough attention.

My point is quite simple. Let's add a third person to your example above. The third person pays cash for the vehicle, and as a result of not using the special financing, receives a discounted price lower than that paid by either of the two people in your example.

Your person #1 paid a market rate rate of interest, not 0% (based on the difference in final price paid by him, and my guy that paid cash). Your person #2 paid a greater than market rate. Remember, both #1 and #2 pay a higher price for the car. Only #3 pays the true market price of the car (which he is able to do because he didn't use the "0%" financing).
Then the third person is a ****ty negotiator.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Then the third person is a ****ty negotiator.
Did you miss the part where person three paid less than the other two?

Old 12-23-2015, 02:08 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
My only new car is a 2002 year model and has been a wonderful car... bought when working in Germany and shipped it home.

Other than that... all my cars have been bought used and I have yet to ever sell a car for less than I paid for it...

The trick is to buy right and if you keep it around long enough the value goes up... at least this has been my experience.

The $800 car I bought in school is worth about $2500+ now and still has the original motor/drivetrain.

It does help that where I live rust is not a problem as it doesn't snow...

Old 12-23-2015, 03:07 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
In my buying experiences paying cash was a negative. Take the financing with a discount and pay it off the next month. Car deals are so transient, there really is no consistent method to their final pricing. These days they make more money off the financing than the car sale it seems, with the Internet offering near perfect competition. If you read most special offers you either get the 'cash back' or you get the low financing, not both, are there exceptions made I'm sure but that isn't the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive