Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 04:43 PM

5,994 posts, read 19,885,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
The Charger taillights are a low power running light that isn't very bright at all:

The brake lights and turn signals are brighter but they are only small parts at the outside corners:

It's not really different than the Cougar taillights that went all the way across and had brighter brake lights:

Camera exposure will change how bright they look in pictures, but overall the Charger, Challenger, Dart, and Durango taillights (not brake lights) are not al that bright. The brake lights and turn signals are bright, as they are supposed to be.
That's my take, I don't find them overly bright at all. Definitely brighter than halogens but that's progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 04:58 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,241,132 times
I don't have an issue with the brightness, but I do have an issue with some LEDs in a circle causing double vision.

Same with newer LED street lights.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:28 PM

5,457 posts, read 3,332,085 times
Default Bright lights and night vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
Is it just me or are these light hurting your eyes? Every time I drive behind one of these suckers my eyes start to hurt and if I shift my gaze away, I see an imprint for a couple of seconds. I think they are kind of dangerous.

What are your thoughts?

http://www.carid.com/images/spyder/t...deo_720p_t.jpg

I have astigmatism in my left eye so that I see halos or prisms around all of the night lighting and car lights especially LED. They are very piercing.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:11 PM

17,096 posts, read 11,936,476 times
Yeah I have a mild astigmatism. Don't really need glasses for anything else but they do help a lot with night driving. Gives me "HD" vision and removes the halos and such.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:12 PM

430 posts, read 634,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I'd have to get a better look at that specific light but I'm betting they are either not terribly bright or do have diffusion. Even when it looks like individual LED's they are still placed in a housing/lens of sorts.
I'm telling you, they are bare LEDs with no diffusion. They are little pinpoints of light. Why are you so incredulous? Have you never seen a Tacoma?

Old 12-17-2015, 06:59 PM

17,472 posts, read 17,292,541 times
Yes and no. Most models with LED tail lights are fine. However some models are way too much. I like LED tail lights because they're easier to see in the fog. I don't like the ones that are so bright they look like the brakes are applied. They're far safer than the older cars with very dim tail lights. On dark country roads they're bright enough. On brightly lit city streets they're nearly impossible to see.

If you wear glasses, ensure they and your windshield interior are clean. Try to avoid buying cheap eye glass lenses. They tend to cause more lenses flares. I worry I may be taking longer for my eyes to adjust to the darkness after bright headlights have passed. I also am noticing having trouble reading in low light conditions even with my glasses. Will bring this up with my next eye exam.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:37 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,175,453 times
Default annoying, anti-social automotive features tolerated

I just laugh when people comment on something or other on a car these days with "is that legal?" or "that'll never pass inspection."

What a joke; cops/government don't get into this stuff anymore like they did years ago. Witness: annoyingly bright headlights, ditto: brake lights, bumpers (usually on pickups which constitute half of the "cars" on the road) that are never going to be at at the same height as those of the car they impale, pickup truck mirrors that extent WAY on out into traffic/bike lanes, "chariot" wheels that also extend WAY on out there, over large and loud exhausts, etc. Am I forgetting anything? Probably. PS, don't bore me with the details on what type of lights they are. They're way too bright and distracting, that's why their owners like them.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:20 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,627,616 times
I am glad to see I am not the only one. I hope manufacturers change them down the road.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:15 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,048,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
PS, don't bore me with the details on what type of lights they are. They're way too bright and distracting, that's why their owners like them.

So now you are ascribing motive to owners for lighting standards that manufacturers are following and safety studies that have been proven? GTFO.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:08 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,175,453 times
Default how it works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
So now you are ascribing motive to owners for lighting standards that manufacturers are following and safety studies that have been proven? GTFO.
You didn't follow what I said, let me try again: government used to set standards on headlight brightness. I don't think it occurred to anyone to create super bright taillights, they used to be round and red. Marketers, working for auto makers, figured out that today's narcissistic auto customer would react positively to anti-social, gaudy features such as crazy blue headlights and "in your face" taillights. Government doesn't say no. Auto reviewers site "test data" and "studies," test subjects become early adopters, many customers buy them proving marketers correct once again, and next thing you know we're in the midst of a plague of hazardous and annoying over bright cars.
But hey, if you want to think you were smart enough to find a brighter tail lamp equipped car all on your own out of concern for your family's safety, you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive