Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 12:00 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,887,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Do basic oil changes *really* need to be done by employees making more than $15/hr to be done correctly?
I went to a mechanic with a 5 star Yelp rating and they used the wrong oil weight in my car, denied it, and they put in too much.

I'll never let another do my oil except my trusted mechanic or myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 12:03 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,199,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Wanna bet? I had a bud that bought a new top of the line F150. He took it to Jiffy Morons where they proceeded to change his oil for the first time. The truck had 1500 miles on it. He paid his bill and took off across town. By the time he got to where he was going he was leaving a smoke trail. Seems they filled the engine with transmission fluid, not oil. Had to get an attorney for them to replace the truck.

The wifes car needed an oil change and told her to go to our usual ASE shop and have them do it since I didn't have time. Well she decided to take the car to Jiffy Morons. She paid her bill and took off. Two blocks away she stopped at a light and the car was covered in smoke. She thought it was on fire. Called me to come quick. When I got there it was still smoking and a nice puddle of oil under the car. Seems Dimwits R Us didn't tighten the oil filter and it was pumping oil like it was free. Went and got the manager of the place and took him to the car so he could see. Stupid thought he was going to charge me $75.00 for a wrecker. I missed one hellva shot at going to jail over it.
I go to walmart, and watch them every step of the way. 15 years and counting. No problems. But I do watch them. Like a hawk.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:53 AM

135 posts, read 168,533 times
I can attest to consistent quality jobs performed by walmart. It's surprising, actually.

Other experiences to note:

Jiffy lube - got upsold twice and went elsewhere.

Firestone - caused $400 of damage after improper oil change. tried to weasel out of fixing it.

Dealership - consistent for the most part but crap attitudes and long wait. once, a mechanic unscrewed the air box to change oil and left it like that. drove home with irregular noise, noticed and fixed myself. notified dealership and received 2 vouchers for free oil change (while any customer that paid msrp or close to it gets free lifetime oil changes). had to deal with the "monday" lady from office space for the whole ordeal so i should have been paid for that.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:48 AM

806 posts, read 949,754 times
I know my oil changes are done properly with proper oil and filters cause I do it myself. No I'm no mechanic, learned how to do it watching Youtube videos actually. I've now done it like a dozen times without a problem so I guess I'm doing it right.

I had to do them myself cause I've had mechanics not do the work but charge me.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:04 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,078,191 times
Quote:
Do basic oil changes *really* need to be done by employees making more than $15/hr to be done correctly?
Well it is an Audi and that German soul requires nothing but the white glove treatment and a sawzall.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:07 AM

774 posts, read 2,365,577 times
Reading these horror stories reinforces why I do all my own oil changes.

It also gives me a chance to look around at everything else at the same time and find things that might need attention now or in future.

Rule 1: Never let anyone touch your car or your wife .... unless it's absolutely necessary

Old 12-18-2015, 06:05 AM

7,880 posts, read 12,589,105 times
I had my oil changed at firestone when I was getting new tires; I usually do it myself. Next oil change I had to replace the oil drain plug with a self tapping one because the idiots stripped the threads when they put the plug back in. Never again.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:08 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,076,125 times
Quote:
I ask the same question about McDonald's employees that demand $15/hr to man a clam grill.

Seriously... Employees at Jiffy Lube sound like they ended up there because they don't possess the brain power required to run a cash register at Wal-Mart.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:36 AM

7,120 posts, read 9,185,840 times
Why do I insist on changing the oil in my cars by myself?

Because over the years I have heard so many stories like the ones in this string.

When I change my own oil, I do a perfect job. I lift the car at the proper lifting points. I use premium materials. I make sure none of the bolts are over torqued. Not one drop of oil gets splashed anywhere. I inspect the under side of the car to look for worn out bits.

Am I a type A perfectionist? Yup.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:46 AM

3,394 posts, read 6,036,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
I go to walmart, and watch them every step of the way. 15 years and counting. No problems. But I do watch them. Like a hawk.
But you ever wonder if it's worth taking to a place where you have to watch them "like a hawk?"

If places aren't even competent enough to do a minimum skill job, then I really don't know what our society has come to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive