Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 10:07 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
For just 4 months, you don't NEED any of the above. I leave my Bronco sit sometimes as long as a year and it doesn't get any of that. After a year I throw a battery charger on it, start it up drive off. Usually I have enough battery left at 6 months that a charge isn't necessary and that's with a 7 year old Walmart battery. I don't have issues with the gas, tires, nothing. It starts and runs just like it did the first day I bought it new. Like anything else, if you want to do all that then get after it. If you don't, have a great trip.
You are in Texas. He is in a place that gets enough snow he is hoping for covered storage.

I would say your advice is off base. Cold can kill a battery. A poor charge in a battery can allow the electrolyte to freeze.

Now maybe you are in west TX and this advice has panned out for you there...because it does get super cold in west TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 07:13 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFury59 View Post
Throw some dryer sheets in the car; on the seats, dash, on the floor, and in the trunk, and under the hood. The mice hate the smell of dryer sheets. And your car will smell good when you drive it again.

I've been doing this for my collector cars for the last couple years and when I bring them out of hibernation in the spring, no signs of those little critters.
Beat me to it.
Mice can be a very undesirable situation.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:48 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I would not even worry about it except make sure no food is left in the car, four months is not long at all, I use to leave mine sitting for months while on deployment with no issues, so did thousands of other people.
Exactly. Geez, 4 months is nothing. Just leave it and not worry about it. You don't need to do anything special and certainly don't need fuel stabilizer for a 4 month park. Leave the car with a full tank of gas.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:41 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
Four month dont bother with the fuel stsbizer, i kerp a trickel on the battery or just tske the battery inside. Other that that lock it up. If you are in a home owner assocoation they willl toe the car off and sell it, if its gets a flat tire, exspire tag etc.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:04 AM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
If you don't want the hassle of jotting down your settings which would be wiped out when you disconnect the battery and then re-inputting them, then use battery tender. It uses minimial electricity but keeps your car fresh when you are ready to use it.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:09 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,658 times
Would check with professionals to be on safe side. Google search should be able to give that info. Retiring a vehicle for months can create problems if not done properly.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:39 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
If you don't want the hassle of jotting down your settings which would be wiped out when you disconnect the battery and then re-inputting them, then use battery tender. It uses minimial electricity but keeps your car fresh when you are ready to use it.

i like the battery tender too, i mention take it inside because, if its in a driveway or parking lot, you dont want a cord laying out for four months

Old 12-20-2015, 01:54 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Four month dont bother with the fuel stsbizer, i kerp a trickel on the battery or just tske the battery inside. Other that that lock it up. If you are in a home owner assocoation they willl toe the car off and sell it, if its gets a flat tire, exspire tag etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Exactly. Geez, 4 months is nothing. Just leave it and not worry about it. You don't need to do anything special and certainly don't need fuel stabilizer for a 4 month park. Leave the car with a full tank of gas.

Free advice. You get what you pay for on City Data. Especially since we don't know the car's age and model.

Tech Article: The Ethanol Issue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive