Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2015, 07:03 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times

Advertisements

I have noticed a shop we use has recommended degreasing the engine so they can identify what they say is an oil leak. They did that when I was bringing my old van to them, but now they are also saying it for my daughter's older car. It seems like a bogus charge. I did pay for it once on the old van, but the next time it was in, they recommended it again. That was after they replaced a gasket the first time. Now they're saying it for my daughter's car and I declined it. I'm just wondering what you guys thing about that charge? I don't see any oil spots on the ground yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 08:47 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
It's a lot easier to find leaks if the engine bay is clean. No spots on the ground may just mean that all of the leaks are sticking to the car or only hitting the ground when you're moving.

If you don't want to pay for it, do it yourself. It can take a while and I'd recommend doing it at a self wash so the solvents and oil get processed as waste water. It's really not that fun of a job. Lots of scrubbing every little nook and cranny with degreaser and a tooth brush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive