Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 01:54 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,251,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
Not according to Truecar.
You're well overpaying if your buying at the base Truecar price.
The Truth About TrueCar Savings

Being a USAA(or a few other organizations) member gets you an insider price that is significantly lower. Note the additional $1589 off for being with USAA.

But with further negotiation I got even lower than that. Just went in on last day of the month and repeatedly said I was going to the VW dealer next to check out the Golf I got a further $1000 off for a final price of $17,900. Significantly below what you get if you just go to truecar.com without being a member of a partner. This was just a straight purchase too, no trade-in.

Heck even the Edmunds price promise is lower than the base Truecar price.

Meanwhile here's a dealer asking $25k for a used one lol. In fact just about every used listing out there on a 2015 is higher than what I paid new. True, that's just the asking price but still it's ridiculous.
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...7876/overview/

Last edited by notnamed; 12-30-2015 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 02:03 PM

902 posts, read 1,105,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post

Being a USAA(or a few other organizations) member gets you an insider price that is significantly lower. Note the additional $1589 off for being with USAA.

But with further negotiation I got even lower than that. Just went in on last day of the month and repeatedly said I was going to the VW dealer next to check out the Golf I got a further $1000 off for a final price of $17,900. Significantly below what you get if you just go to truecar.com without being a member of a partner. This was just a straight purchase too, no trade-in.

Heck even the Edmunds price promise is lower than the base Truecar price.
Great Advice & very true

the truecar suggested price is usually in the middle between MSRP and Invoice

Truecar is a great resource to obtain the invoice figure, but don't pay attention to their suggested price

there are many sources to obtain the invoice price and they will all be the same

truecar used to show actual dealer cost (invoice minus the "holdback" 1-3% of MSRP)

.....Pay below Invoice.....

USAA can do this for you without you having to negotiate as can Costco, AARP & Consumer Reports

here is a great link, it shows the actual Holdback" (hidden profits) for each manufacturer

[url=http://www.car-buying-strategies.com/new-car-dealer-cost.html[/url]

Invoice minus holdback = actual dealer cost

Last edited by azsportpilot; 12-30-2015 at 02:30 PM..

Old 12-30-2015, 02:16 PM

Truecar doesn't even show the invoice price anymore. It was a good tool back in 2012 but now it's not worth much.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Truecar doesn't even show the invoice price anymore. It was a good tool back in 2012 but now it's not worth much.
agreed, they really sold out to the dealers

so who do you use to get the invoice price online for free?

Old 12-30-2015, 02:38 PM

Edmunds still shows one but I don't have much faith in it. If it's true the dealer sold me my car at a loss even after accounting for the holdback and the rebate. Though of course there are still other incentives that they get from the manufacturer based on number of sales. Which you exploit by shopping on last day of the month.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:48 PM

this site looks promising

shows invoice and holdback to give a total dealer cost..... if it can be trusted

2015 Honda Accord Prices: MSRP, Invoice, Holdback & Dealer Cost

Old 12-30-2015, 10:16 PM

70 posts, read 77,141 times
Be careful if you are buying from a lot. One of the current tricks is to pull up car values from NADA as opposed to kelly blue book or Edmunds. Nada stands for national automobile dealers association....and thier estimates are always ridiculously high and is purposely slanted toward the dealers.(surprise) they will try to tell you that Kelly is not the standard... but it is. never accept data from NADA as a basis for negotiation.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:52 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:

Depends on the make, model and market. USAA's car buying website is now powered by Truecar. USAA offered a whopping $100 savings on an Outback earlier this year. Dealers advertising on carsdirect were much lower - another $1K+ lower in fact. YMMV depending on a whole host of other factors. But I can say that since USAA switched to truecar the discounts haven't been worthwhile whenever I've checked.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:49 PM

Yep as I said I managed another $1k under the USAA price. More just to say the truecar target price for the general public is actually pretty bad.

Subarus are easy. There are a number of outdoor rec groups that they have partnerships with that get you 2% under invoice.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:47 AM

1,785 posts, read 2,382,960 times
When I was shopping for a car last spring, I used Kelly's Blue Book and other pricing websites to get an idea of whether the dealer was asking too much for the car. Since the law doesn't require the dealer to tell you how much he paid for a used car, it's really hard to know if you're getting screwed on the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive