Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 02:41 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webtek334 View Post
Count me as someone that hates pickup trucks, especially the supersized and lifted ones. They look absolutely ridiculous.

Those trucks are usually driven by pricks with low self-esteem in dire need of something big and aggressive to make them look more macho and manly than they could hope to become.

But the top reason I hate pickups is the junk that flies out of the beds.

In the last month I’ve been lucky enough to get behind 2 large pickups where items fell out from the back and either hit my car or hit the road and made it a danger for drivers.

First incident was a large potted plant that fell on the street and forced me to run over it. Second incident was some kind of object like a piece of a plastic container that flew from the back and hit my car.

I mean, come on dudes. If you can’t secure your loads better than that you shouldn’t even be driving. Get an enclosed vehicle like a van or SUV for your loads!

About as ridiculous as this post stereotyping everyone who owns a large pickup truck, perhaps?

I was wondering who the next person would be to revive this thread.

"Those trucks" are usually driven by normal people (man or woman) who have a need to move large objects from point a to b, or sometimes by people who just like the way they look and ride. My truck is lifted. My truck has large tires on it. My truck takes me to and from work on the interstate every single day. It also hauls furniture, hauls lumber, mulch, rock, and pulls a 14' trailer frequently.

Again, you cannot assume that you know anything about the person driving these trucks because one or two people are clowns. I could stereotype that all Prius owners drive like 90 year olds, and are hippy potheads but that is far from the truth. I could stereotype that luxury car owners (BMW, Audi, etc..) are all pricks that think they're better than anyone else. Again, not the truth.

At the end of the day, people drive what they enjoy and feel comfortable with. That does not make them wrong, nor you right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 07:30 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
People who suck at driving are going to suck at driving no matter what vehicle they drive.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:48 PM

25 posts, read 34,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
About as ridiculous as this post stereotyping everyone who owns a large pickup truck, perhaps?

I was wondering who the next person would be to revive this thread.

"Those trucks" are usually driven by normal people (man or woman) who have a need to move large objects from point a to b, or sometimes by people who just like the way they look and ride. My truck is lifted. My truck has large tires on it. My truck takes me to and from work on the interstate every single day. It also hauls furniture, hauls lumber, mulch, rock, and pulls a 14' trailer frequently.

Again, you cannot assume that you know anything about the person driving these trucks because one or two people are clowns. I could stereotype that all Prius owners drive like 90 year olds, and are hippy potheads but that is far from the truth. I could stereotype that luxury car owners (BMW, Audi, etc..) are all pricks that think they're better than anyone else. Again, not the truth.

At the end of the day, people drive what they enjoy and feel comfortable with. That does not make them wrong, nor you right.
I never claimed to be right, I simply expressed an opinion based on my dealings with large pickup trucks and the people who drive them. Sorry you're so sensitive and offended by my stereotyping.

What you failed to do was express any empathy for the junk that flew out of the truck beds and caused damage to my car. Of course the truck drivers never pulled over either to assess their missing items or see if any damage or injuries occurred.

All too typical of many pickup drivers, no consideration for anyone else on the roads. It's all about 'my truck is jacked-up and lifted high off the ground', 'my truck has them big-ole tires', 'my truck hauls arse better'n your car'.

I'm not saying you in particular are an aggressive driver or one of the pricks who doesn't secure your loads. If you're not then you shouldn't have the need to be so defensive about what you drive or why.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I never claimed to be right, I simply expressed an opinion based on my dealings with large pickup trucks and the people who drive them. Sorry you're so sensitive and offended by my stereotyping.

What you failed to do was express any empathy for the junk that flew out of the truck beds and caused damage to my car. Of course the truck drivers never pulled over either to assess their missing items or see if any damage or injuries occurred.

All too typical of many pickup drivers, no consideration for anyone else on the roads. It's all about 'my truck is jacked-up and lifted high off the ground', 'my truck has them big-ole tires', 'my truck hauls arse better'n your car'.

I'm not saying you in particular are an aggressive driver or one of the pricks who doesn't secure your loads. If you're not then you shouldn't have the need to be so defensive about what you drive or why.

I'm not defensive, as I have no reason to be. I am, however, annoyed by various people who "think" that just because some of us drive these vehicles must mean we are trying to compensate for something else, or think we own the road, or don't care about anyone else, or whatever other comment you all try to make. Your comments in bold just prove my point and explain why I am annoyed with this. Most of us don't care what you drive. If it makes you happy, drive it. That's what we do.

As for empathy... have you ever stopped to think that maybe the driver didn't see it come out? I typically secure my loads very well (was a delivery driver for 6 years that drove a 24 ft box truck many moons ago) but there was one instance where my wife drove my truck and was unaware that she had an item fly out of my truck until she got home. You don't hear it most times and if you're paying attention to the road you may not notice it out of the rearview.

My point is that one cannot make assumptions based on one or two bad experiences. There is an entire planet full of people. Some bad, some good, and some just indifferent.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:34 PM

25 posts, read 34,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I'm not defensive, as I have no reason to be. I am, however, annoyed by various people who "think" that just because some of us drive these vehicles must mean we are trying to compensate for something else, or think we own the road, or don't care about anyone else, or whatever other comment you all try to make. Your comments in bold just prove my point and explain why I am annoyed with this. Most of us don't care what you drive. If it makes you happy, drive it. That's what we do.

As for empathy... have you ever stopped to think that maybe the driver didn't see it come out? I typically secure my loads very well (was a delivery driver for 6 years that drove a 24 ft box truck many moons ago) but there was one instance where my wife drove my truck and was unaware that she had an item fly out of my truck until she got home. You don't hear it most times and if you're paying attention to the road you may not notice it out of the rearview.

My point is that one cannot make assumptions based on one or two bad experiences. There is an entire planet full of people. Some bad, some good, and some just indifferent.
I suppose you have a right to be annoyed by the comments and stereotypes about large pickup trucks but you also chose to drive a big jacked-up vehicle, so you put yourself in the position of ridicule.

But are the comments and stereotypes really worth getting all annoyed and pissed off? It seems to me that if you and all the other drivers of lifted trucks weren't trying to prove something you would just suck it up and let it go.

Because I'm in web design I've been stereotyped and called a computer geek, nerd, socially awkward, among other things. But you know what? I don't get annoyed or let it bother me because it's all part of the trade. I make a good income with my business so I just consider the source.

Because I drive a smaller car and obey the speed limit most of the time I've been a victim of road rage and told I drive like an old lady. But I don't get annoyed very much by those incidents either.

My point is stereotypes exist among everyone and it's part of life, and life isn't very fair.

Regarding your comment about how the pickup drivers may not have seen the objects fly out of their beds, what kind of moronic answer is that? I'd love to hear a cop's reaction to that answer, especially if the missing objects happen to be the cause of accidents. Drivers are 100% responsible for their vehicles and if items happen to fly out of the beds then the accountability falls entirely on them.

The instance you described about an object flying out of your truck is one instance too many. How do you know that object didn't damage someone's vehicle or create an accident? It doesn't matter if you don't hear it or see it fall out, you are still responsible. If you fail to secure your loads 100% of the time then you're a danger on the road.

Show some accountability and consideration for other people. Get an enclosed vehicle like a van or SUV for your loads, or at least put a secure lid cover over your truck bed. My point is you need to take precautions to make those incidents never happen. Pickup drivers can't just let items fall out, then make lame-arse excuses and shirk it off.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:04 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
I've coined the phrase "dumb-ass in a pickup" and even have a little theme jingle to go along with it when I see some genius pretending he's Kyle Busch behind the wheel of his piece of crap Silverado.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
I suppose you have a right to be annoyed by the comments and stereotypes about large pickup trucks but you also chose to drive a big jacked-up vehicle, so you put yourself in the position of ridicule.

But are the comments and stereotypes really worth getting all annoyed and pissed off? It seems to me that if you and all the other drivers of lifted trucks weren't trying to prove something you would just suck it up and let it go.

Because I'm in web design I've been stereotyped and called a computer geek, nerd, socially awkward, among other things. But you know what? I don't get annoyed or let it bother me because it's all part of the trade. I make a good income with my business so I just consider the source.

Because I drive a smaller car and obey the speed limit most of the time I've been a victim of road rage and told I drive like an old lady. But I don't get annoyed very much by those incidents either.

My point is stereotypes exist among everyone and it's part of life, and life isn't very fair.

Regarding your comment about how the pickup drivers may not have seen the objects fly out of their beds, what kind of moronic answer is that? I'd love to hear a cop's reaction to that answer, especially if the missing objects happen to be the cause of accidents. Drivers are 100% responsible for their vehicles and if items happen to fly out of the beds then the accountability falls entirely on them.

The instance you described about an object flying out of your truck is one instance too many. How do you know that object didn't damage someone's vehicle or create an accident? It doesn't matter if you don't hear it or see it fall out, you are still responsible. If you fail to secure your loads 100% of the time then you're a danger on the road.

Show some accountability and consideration for other people. Get an enclosed vehicle like a van or SUV for your loads, or at least put a secure lid cover over your truck bed. My point is you need to take precautions to make those incidents never happen. Pickup drivers can't just let items fall out, then make lame-arse excuses and shirk it off.

Most of this I won't respond to, simply because I can tell it's going to take the discussion nowhere. (By the way, I drive the lifted truck because it came that way and was a good deal, not because I wanted it)

However, I will respond to securing the loads. Yes.... it is the driver's responsibility to secure their load and if an accident is caused because of it they are at fault. Nowhere did I say otherwise. Had the lid that flew off the container in my truck hit another car, my wife would have accepted full responsibility for it.

That does not mean that an accident cannot happen. A van will not haul the loads I haul, nor will an SUV. Furthermore, a bed topper will not allow access to the gooseneck hitch in my bed. You need to understand the ways in which a pickup is used before assuming that there are easy answers to all the questions. Sometimes there aren't. Many who do not use a truck do not understand these things.

Bottom line, just because you don't like a pickup truck or like that people tend to customize their vehicles to suit their needs does not make it wrong. Driving any vehicle with little to no regard for others around you makes it wrong. Driving any type of vehicle shouldn't subject those people to ridicule unless it is justly deserved. In that instance, and that instance only, is a stereotype warrantable. But in every other instance you know what they say about those who assume...

Old 04-11-2016, 07:14 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
If you are so close to another vehicle that you don't have enough time to swerve if something is in the road you are too close. Especially if it's something falling off, or out of, a vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive