Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 10:18 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
The 5.6 is their VK V8 series. I've never had the 5.6, but my family and I have had the VK engine in the Q45, M45, and I've cross-shopped the FX45 a couple times now, and been disappointed every time. (Not always just with the engine, but as an overall package.)

They are typically down on power compared to competitors, and I personally think they are one of the worst among Asian brands for their engineering. We had several things fail on our sedans, and being that I'm a DIY kind of guy, seeing how they did things in some cases was just ridiculous and made no sense.
The 5.6 puts out 420HP, right? With 25 hwy mpg... Seems to be up there in terms of power vs competition for 2011.

Either way I'd probably stick with the 3.7L, as I know the VQ engines like the back of my hand at this point.

I'm a DYI guy myself, and have the exact opposite opinion regarding Nissan's overall engineering. I've always found them to be built extremely well...

Oh well, different people different strokes I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 10:29 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The 5.6 puts out 420HP, right? With 25 hwy mpg... Seems to be up there in terms of power vs competition for 2011.

Either way I'd probably stick with the 3.7L, as I know the VQ engines like the back of my hand at this point.

I'm a DYI guy myself, and have the exact opposite opinion regarding Nissan's overall engineering. I've always found them to be built extremely well...

Oh well, different people different strokes I guess.

More like 320 hp. The well known manifolds crack on the Titan/Armada. my buddy has a Titan. It moves the mail pretty good

Old 01-06-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
More like 320 hp. The well known manifolds crack on the Titan/Armada. my buddy has a Titan. It moves the mail pretty good
420hp in the M56

That's 20 more than BMW's twin-turbo 4.4L V8 of the same era...

Old 01-06-2016, 11:21 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,467,077 times
the VQ engine in the M37 is a great engine but if you are comparing that to an AMG Mercedes you will find it to be underpowered. I have a 370Z and I have had no problems and it is a very quick car. But might not be so quick in a large car like the M

Old 01-06-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
the VQ engine in the M37 is a great engine but if you are comparing that to an AMG Mercedes you will find it to be underpowered. I have a 370Z and I have had no problems and it is a very quick car. But might not be so quick in a large car like the M
I really don't NEED the power of an AMG tbh... I was just looking at what I can get within a price range, and I've always been a huge fan of the CLS, so when I saw the CLS63 priced around the same as the Infiniti I was looking at, I had to ask... That said, my concerns about the AMG have been confirmed, and I doubt I'll be considering one in the near future as I don't care for massive repair/service bills.

My last personal car was a Maxima, and it was more than powerful enough. I actually found it to be quite fast. Much faster than my wife's C-class Mercedes, which isn't particularly slow for what it is to begin with.

Anyone have experience with Jaguar XF cars? (2009-2010-2011)
They're considered M37/56 competition -- type of car I'm looking for.

I know Jaguar used to be extremely unreliable in the 90s. Has this changed in recent years?

Old 01-06-2016, 12:49 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I really don't NEED the power of an AMG tbh... I was just looking at what I can get within a price range, and I've always been a huge fan of the CLS, so when I saw the CLS63 priced around the same as the Infiniti I was looking at, I had to ask... That said, my concerns about the AMG have been confirmed, and I doubt I'll be considering one in the near future as I don't care for massive repair/service bills.

My last personal car was a Maxima, and it was more than powerful enough. I actually found it to be quite fast. Much faster than my wife's C-class Mercedes, which isn't particularly slow for what it is to begin with.

Anyone have experience with Jaguar XF cars? (2009-2010-2011)
They're considered M37/56 competition -- type of car I'm looking for.

I know Jaguar used to be extremely unreliable in the 90s. Has this changed in recent years?
Best option is to get the CLS550, with the AMG package as an option. That gives you the AMG front bumper, wheels, steering wheel, and suspension programming. That's what I'm looking for. All the looks of the AMG, just down about 100 hp.

Jaguar has gotten better, but they still rank pretty far down the list as far as reliability goes.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:19 PM

446 posts, read 845,553 times
If buying an AMG, you should only consider ones that are still under factory warranty so that you can get the MB extended warranty. I have an E63 with the NA V8 and the power is great. Haven't had issues w the car yet (48K mi), until today where it's in the shop while they try to figure out a why the instrument cluster is freaking out. I bought the extended warranty bc of the well documented head bolt issue.

The MB biturbos (2011+) don't have the head bolt issue FYI. I also love the CLS' styling, so I'd pick it over the Infiniti.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:39 PM

8,678 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Since your wife drives a MB, you know german cars isn't all about HP. I recc. you test drive it.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:18 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I agree with the above, I'd look at a CLS550 before an older AMG. IF CPO, with an extended warranty, or from Carmax with an extended warranty, the AMG might not be a bad consideration, but not for a purchase without a warranty.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-06-2016, 06:37 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,237 times
I owned a CLS 55, WORST CAR EVER!

Ill try to find my thread where another person was kicking around the idea and I told them about my ownership.

can't find it, so ill give you the cliff notes:

40k miles: SRS light, SRS malfunction visit workshop" 3X never fixed. Showed up just before I sold had to pray it didn't show up again.
45k miles: collapsed airmatic strut, car is worthless and can't be driven car was down for 3 months. $2700 if an Indy does it. Mine was under warranty.
55k miles: Transmission began skipping 2nd gear. Dealer "reprogrammed it" One morning a week later went to reverse out of the garage and car would not move. New Transmission. Under warranty. $5k+ at an indy.
58k: 2 coil packs went out. Out of warranty. $700
62k Fuel pump goes out an strands me in California. $400 to fix, but more money in arrangements and frustration, including airfare hotel and lost wages.
68K: Intercooler pump failed. the 55 engines are notorious for this. $1200 out of warranty.

a brake job all 4s costs $1400 just for parts, almost $2500 at an indy, The 19" tires are super expensive and prone to damage. don't even try to put 20s on it or you'll end up with bent rims and screwed up suspension.

Look elsewhere seriously. Visit mbworld and check the C219 CLS forum.

Last edited by AndyAMG; 01-06-2016 at 06:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive