Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 05:43 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,249,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
Except for the $3,500 timing replacement. depending on the years you're talking about. VW claimed it was a lifetime part, Apparently lifetime in german must mean 80,000mi. They made it brutally hard to change. I would avoid old VW's unless you have many funds available. Those and the audi's of similar years are so great when there new,but be prepared if you want to keep it.
I don't know of anyone gouged for $3500 for a timing belt change, on any 4-cylinder Volkswagen engine. Typically the parts cost around $200 or a little more, which includes the cam belt itself, the auxiliary belt, rollers or idlers, the tensioner, the water pump, and maybe a few single-use bolts. Depending on the engine, there is about 3-to-5 hours of labor. So there is no way this job should cost more than $1000. And on most VW engines since 1999, the replacement interval is about every 100,000 miles. So less than a penny a mile. And there is nothing especially complicated about the procedure for replacing the timing belt.

I am pretty sure that Volkswagen has never claimed that their timing belts are good for the life of the car. You'll have to provide more information.

My recommendation is based, in part, on my ownership of two Mk4 Golfs, both TDIs. I am familiar with them, and to a lesser extent to the 2.0 liter gas engine version. That gas engine is of a relatively simple design, durable if not ultra-efficient. It is the automatic transmissions used with that engine on that model that are not reliable. That's why I recommend ONLY the manual transmission models.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 05:45 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Honda Fit.
I second the Honda Fit. My son loves his, it has a "right side" camera that shows what's happening on the right side of the car. You can "fit" almost anything in that car.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:37 PM

639 posts, read 579,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
I don't know of anyone gouged for $3500 for a timing belt change, on any 4-cylinder Volkswagen engine. Typically the parts cost around $200 or a little more, which includes the cam belt itself, the auxiliary belt, rollers or idlers, the tensioner, the water pump, and maybe a few single-use bolts. Depending on the engine, there is about 3-to-5 hours of labor. So there is no way this job should cost more than $1000. And on most VW engines since 1999, the replacement interval is about every 100,000 miles. So less than a penny a mile. And there is nothing especially complicated about the procedure for replacing the timing belt.

I am pretty sure that Volkswagen has never claimed that their timing belts are good for the life of the car. You'll have to provide more information.

My recommendation is based, in part, on my ownership of two Mk4 Golfs, both TDIs. I am familiar with them, and to a lesser extent to the 2.0 liter gas engine version. That gas engine is of a relatively simple design, durable if not ultra-efficient. It is the automatic transmissions used with that engine on that model that are not reliable. That's why I recommend ONLY the manual transmission models.
They called it a lifetime part. My neighbor doe's the books for a major garage up here. There between $2,700 and $3,500, I don't recall what the difference was. I also have a 20yr old son so you can imagine how many of his friends have had GTI's. When they went they were either replaced at that cost , or sent to the junk yard. You have to lift the engine. We must be talking different years as this is a common reason parents don't want to buy these.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
They called it a lifetime part. My neighbor doe's the books for a major garage up here. There between $2,700 and $3,500, I don't recall what the difference was. I also have a 20yr old son so you can imagine how many of his friends have had GTI's. When they went they were either replaced at that cost , or sent to the junk yard. You have to lift the engine. We must be talking different years as this is a common reason parents don't want to buy these.

It is not a lifetime part, and never has been. I can show you You do not have to lift the engine, just support it while you remove the engine mount. I do not know what VW dealerships charge, but reputable mechanics charge $800-1000 including parts and labor for the TDI, and less for the 2.0 gasoline engine.

A 30-second Google search resulted in this: VW Jetta Timing Belt Replacement Change Interval 2.0L

Old 01-09-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
It is not a lifetime part, and never has been. I can show you You do not have to lift the engine, just support it while you remove the engine mount. I do not know what VW dealerships charge, but reputable mechanics charge $800-1000 including parts and labor for the TDI, and less for the 2.0 gasoline engine.

A 30-second Google search resulted in this: VW Jetta Timing Belt Replacement Change Interval 2.0L
What year? They called it a lifetime part untill they weren't able to anymore.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:00 PM

I just found a few quotes on line for 2k on a 2003, I believe the extra was due to the fact that while you had it apart there were other parts to replace. The TDI's And 1.8's were not the same. Quick edit, he also said it is more expensive after it fails as opposed to just replacing, due to other damage, so that probably figured in. also not that it matters but I thought they used a chain back then, hence there claim of lifetime.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
What year? They called it a lifetime part untill they weren't able to anymore.
I have only been referring to the Mk4 Golfs in this thread: 1999-2006. None of the engines used in the Mk4 had a "lifetime" timing belt, nor did VW ever claim this.

Quote:
I just found a few quotes on line for 2k on a 2003, I believe the extra was due to the fact that while you had it apart there were other parts to replace. The TDI's And 1.8's were not the same. Quick edit, he also said it is more expensive after it fails as opposed to just replacing, due to other damage, so that probably figured in. also not that it matters but I thought they used a chain back then, hence there claim of lifetime.
Oh, well if you wait until the TB fails, then there is serious damage to the cylinder head (valves, cam, etc.). You really should try to avoid that, which is the reason for replacing the TB and related parts before failure. The extra parts that should be replaced at the same time are listed in the link I posted previously, all available in kits for $200+ from REPUTABLE online vendors.

The 1.8T engine in the GTIs of that era are different, and I don't know much about them. But the prices for parts and labor should not be significantly different. Here's a link to 1.8T timing belt kits. 1.8T Timing Belt DIY | Audi & VW 1.8T Timing Belt Kits

As for whether VW ever used a timing chain in a 4-cylinder engine -- not to my knowledge. But again, I'm only talking about the Mk4 Golf (and the same engines in the Jetta and New Beetle).

Old 01-09-2016, 07:55 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
You can get a new Soul base with a stick or automatic for your price goal. They come with stability control, ABS, and the other required safety stuff. Rugged and reliable with an excellent warranty.

Get to a driving school. NOT driver ed, which in my day was a joke. One that goes beyond the basics.

Teen defensive driving school improves confidence, skills

Old 01-09-2016, 11:48 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
I'd get a 2008 or newer Honda Accord. The 4 cylinder has plenty of power and it's extremely safe and practical.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:03 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Honda Fit.
One medium-sized wreck and no more teenager.

He should get something big, even if it is not that great on gas mileage. Gas is cheap, hospital bills and funerals are expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive