Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 01:52 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I don't agree. Voicing out about wrongs is a good thing. Just shutting up and taking it never causes change.
Ok, lemme know how many people moved over for you after this thread appeared on CD, OK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 03:07 PM

639 posts, read 579,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Ok, lemme know how many people moved over for you after this thread appeared on CD, OK?
What happened to your evolution of society theory?

Old 01-14-2016, 03:18 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
What happened to your evolution of society theory?
Its been quantified by posters to this forum.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:21 PM

639 posts, read 579,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Its been quantified by posters to this forum.
I can certainly appreciate that,

Old 01-14-2016, 03:43 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,345 times
Here in NJ, I have noticed many of the left lane hogs are too busy texting on their smartphones to be concerned with the speed limit. I really wish all cars were manual transmission, that way people would need to pay attention and the unskilled can just ride the bus. Sorry.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:52 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbosquee View Post
I have to show those of you that advocate for your "right" to sit in the left lane what a disservice you are doing to everyone else. The following video shows me navigating through somewhat thick traffic, which is standard for much of SoCal. I then found myself on a suddenly empty freeway while looking back at a massive fleet of cars. Holy crap. It was the light at the end of the tunnel. It just goes to show you how traffic would flow so much more smoothly if people stuck to the proper lanes and left the left lanes open for passing. People are stuck because they can't pass slower traffic. This leads to traffic backing up. This is actually the second time I've been able to achieve this, but the first time I had no dash cam. Mostly I just stick with the flow of traffic because it tends to be utterly pointless and dangerous to weave, but I will take any open lane which can lead to weaving like in this case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYufT9P4gm8

Now that I have a rear camera, if I ever get an opportunity to do this again, I will be sure to post it. It was an utter mess behind me. Please stop blocking the flow of traffic. Especially in larger metro areas, there are usually more than two lanes to choose from. There is no excuse in places like this to camp in the left lane where the exits are on the right. If you manage to cork four lanes of traffic, you are doing something wrong.
Several years ago, I used to do courier work for a company using my own car. I had a package that had to be taken from Seattle to some tumbleweed place in the middle of Oregon. Somewhere between Seattle and Tacoma, the traffic got really backed up to the point that we were crawling less than 5mph in a stop and go train. Because I had done this courier gig for awhile, I knew some side roads to take to bypass the freeway that would eventually get me back on to the freeway about 3 miles later.

I took the side roads, got near the point to get back on the freeway, took a right, went on the overpass and got to see the start of the traffic jam:

Four cars, one in each lane, were all going the exact same speed. Behind them? The three mile long traffic jam. In front of them? Absolutely nothing but clear road.

The two people on the right held no blame. The two idiots, who apparently had no clue how to check their fricken rear view mirror to see the mess they were causing, deserved to have their driving privilege taken away. I wish I had a car cam at the time to show people that left lane jerks who aren't passing ARE the problem for many of the issues on the road.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Driving exactly the speed limit can create congestion and incite road rage because 90% of drivers don't drive the speed limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoETMCosULQ

Not keeping up with traffic, creating a larger difference is speed is a much bigger hazard than the average "speeder".
OMG! That's exactly what it looked like from the front! Behind them though, in my scenario, the traffic was not still moving well, it was backed up, brake lights everywhere, and the further back you looked, the more condensed and slower they were forced to go.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:10 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Fail! It was a response to your invalid statement that EVERYONE drives the speed limit, except a handful of "lawless" outliers. Safe drivers, drive with the flow of traffic and stay to the right when going slower. The flow of traffic is often above the limit with the exception of high limit states. I put in multiple miles per day and thousands per year across multiple states. If I want to driveslower I stay to the right to allow proper flow of traffic, aka safe, proper driving. THE LEFT LANE IS FOR PASSING. It may be legal in some places to pass on the right, but proper protocol is passing in the lane designed for it, the LEFT! You show clear disrespect for this, and think it's your job to police fellow drivers.

To repeat the previous poster, stick to controlling your horses!
The statement that I made was accurate according to my observations of traffic since I have been engaging in these conversations, which made me more inclined to pay close attention to the speed of surrounding traffic. That it does not agree with what you want to believe, or your personal observations of your own area, does not make it invalid. That you THINK it does says a lot more about you than it does about my statement or me.

As for "proper protocol" (separate from the law), that is VERY regional, as is very obvious here where lots of traffic problems are caused by many many people moving here from a variety of different places and, rather than as would be appropriate and obvious learning Texas traffic laws and "protocol", insist on each keeping the ones from where they came from, leading to chaos on the roads.

My observations of fellow drivers (since I don't drive in the left lane on the roads) is no more an attempt to
"police fellow drivers" than is your comments on drivers who drive the speed limit in the left lane when you want them to get the hell out of your way so you can break the speed limit. If my comments are such an attempt, so are yours. If yours are not such an attempt, neither are mine. Sauce, goose, gander, like it or not.

Now, if you are one of those who tailgates anyone who isn't speeding in the left lane in an attempt to get them to speed up or move out of your way, then you ARE attempting to police fellow drivers.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
You keep posting this, and it is entirely incorrect. I've repeatedly posted the Texas Transportation Code which makes absolutely no reference to there being a sign requirement. Perhaps 25 years ago, the Code was different, but it's simply not the case now.
And I have repeatedly posted the Texas Transportation Code (current) which states the sign requirement. In conversations in which you were involved. I have also posted case law in those conversations (appellate court). I find it interesting that someone with a handle of LeagleEagleDFW finds it difficult to understand that ALL of the statutes matter, not just the parts that you prefer so that you can do whatever you wanna.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Test it out. Head up to Washington and try it out. Get the ticket and head to court. We'll eagerly await your report.

However, your understanding of "impeding the flow of traffic" is deficient. If someone behind you can't pass because you are illegally blocking the passing lane then you are impeding them. Speed has nothing to do with it.

Washington State? Here's what they have to say about speed limits - which are also part of the law, remember. REMEMBER??? You don't get to choose just one part of the law and say that that one must be obeyed because it's the law because you want to be able to break another part of the law yourself without being a hypocrite.

RCW 46.61.400

Basic rule and maximum limits.

(1) No person shall drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing. In every event speed shall be so controlled as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any person, vehicle or other conveyance on or entering the highway in compliance with legal requirements and the duty of all persons to use due care.
(2) Except when a special hazard exists that requires lower speed for compliance with subsection (1) of this section, the limits specified in this section or established as hereinafter authorized shall be maximum lawful speeds, and no person shall drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed in excess of such maximum limits.
(a) Twenty-five miles per hour on city and town streets;
(b) Fifty miles per hour on county roads;
(c) Sixty miles per hour on state highways.
The maximum speed limits set forth in this section may be altered as authorized in RCW 46.61.405, 46.61.410, and 46.61.415.
(3) The driver of every vehicle shall, consistent with the requirements of subsection (1) of this section, drive at an appropriate reduced speed when approaching and crossing an intersection or railway grade crossing, when approaching and going around a curve, when approaching a hill crest, when traveling upon any narrow or winding roadway, and when special hazard exists with respect to pedestrians or other traffic or by reason of weather or highway conditions.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I don't agree. Voicing out about wrongs is a good thing. Just shutting up and taking it never causes change.
Something we agree on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive