Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 07:37 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,157,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
So it's possible I may be driving from Orlando Florida to Las Vegas Nevada (2400 miles)

In my 2006 Nissan Altima SE-R which is currently at 148k miles and will most likely be 150k when I leave

The car has
-Brand New Motor Mounts
-Brand New CV axles
-Brand new engine wiring harness
-Brand new serpentine belt
-75% tread on all 4 tires

Car also runs on full synthetic oil only (which I have been using since I purchased the car three years ago at 98k)

Planning to change brake pads, oil and trans fluid before the trip, as well as a coolant flush

Other than brakes, oil, trans and coolant flush...car is in otherwise seemingly tip top shape....

Am I still crazy for planning to drive a 150k car 2400 miles?

My neighbor drove his car around the world as a stunt for Volvo. I think back when car only had two million miles. Today it has over three million miles.

orginal engine, tranny, paint job and never garaged. So I don't think you have to worry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 07:52 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
No you are not crazy. With the maintenance you've done and are planning to do, anything that may happen would be rare and unexpected. Have you driven any shorter trips? 4-5 hrs?

Drove my 1988 from TN to AZ. No hiccups.
Miles don't make the car, necessarily, just good upkeep and knowing its capabilities.

Make sure you have no tire leaks and no bubbles on the tires, air in your spare (no leaks), a second spare if you can, your tire tools are there, battery in good condition, jumper cables, 2 phone chargers, food, water. If you're going in the Summer, make sure your AC works because Nevada is a hot hot place. If winter, make sure heat works. Bring a blanket in case you do break down, you can stay warm.
And have protection.
I've taken my car from Orlando to Miami which is about a 4 Hour Drive, i've gone down there five times in the past year with no problems. I also drove my car up to the Florida Panhandle to the Destin area over the summer for a vacation and that was a 7 Hour Dr. each way and once again I had no problems

I plan on leaving in about a months time so it will still be winter when I go... My only real concern is the snow high up in the mountains on interstate 40 in Arizona, having lived in Florida most of my life I've only driven in the snow one time...and that one time was in Arizona on interstate 40 in Flagstaff

Old 01-14-2016, 07:54 AM

My only other real concern is that my car is lowered.... And I have forgotten what the roads are like in other cities...they're not too bad in Orlando or Las Vegas from what I remember about my first time living in Vegas...it's the 2000+ miles in between I'm worried about

image hosting gif

Old 01-14-2016, 09:54 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Good looking rig. I wouldn't have any reservations taking it cross country, unless its been known to give you mechanical problems.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:05 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
150,000 is not high mileage.
Yes it is. It's just not very high.

And, yes we drove a 1988 Plymouth Grand Voyager with about 158K miles across the country in 2002. The starter went bad during the trip, but that was an easy fix.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:09 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Just drive it there. Goodness, you live in the south and going to Vegas. Can't get much easier than that.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Good looking rig. I wouldn't have any reservations taking it cross country, unless its been known to give you mechanical problems.
Well all the new stuff that I installed on my car in this past year were mechanical problems that had gone bad

The motor mounts were actually installed because of an accident I was in, A guy in a Kia soul backed into me and then took off...

The wiring harness went out due to the bad motor mounts, and the one of the cv axles broke while I was cruising at 50mph...and that happened in a very rough part of town as well at 2 o'clock in the morning....luckily I was able to coast long enough that my car came to rest right at the entrance of Orlando police headquarters

Old 01-14-2016, 11:41 AM

1,784 posts, read 2,381,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Well all the new stuff that I installed on my car in this past year were mechanical problems that had gone bad

The motor mounts were actually installed because of an accident I was in, A guy in a Kia soul backed into me and then took off...

The wiring harness went out due to the bad motor mounts, and the one of the cv axles broke while I was cruising at 50mph...and that happened in a very rough part of town as well at 2 o'clock in the morning....luckily I was able to coast long enough that my car came to rest right at the entrance of Orlando police headquarters
Nice ride. I'm partial to black cars.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:34 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
I drove my 200K+ miles 2006 Jeep Liberty from

Denver to Spokane
Spokane to Seattle
Seattle to Portland
Portland to the ocean and back
Portland to San Francisco
San Francisco to Ridgecrest, CA (via Modesto and Fresno)
Ridgecrest, CA to Los Angeles
Los Angeles to Riverside (via Orange County)
Riverside back to Denver.

The total trip was 4K or so miles, and 13 total days. Meant to get an oil change in Portland, but wasn't able to get it done until Riverside. Summary of trip here: Epic west coast US family trip, how to do it most efficiently/least costly?

No problems whatsoever.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:47 PM

792 posts, read 2,323,445 times
This past fall I drove my 2007 Dodge Caravan with over 170k miles on it from Michigan to the Grand Canyon and back and then to Montreal and back. No problems. Gas mileage was not great (low 20s mpg) , but I saved on hotel fees by sleeping in the van.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive