Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 12:14 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid I worked in a gas station pumping gas. At the time the old folks asked for gas by the gallons as in I want 10 gallons versus say $3 worth. One fellow was very cantankerous and would argue about being a penny off. He would get out of the car and look real close at the pump dials and argue about a penny. He would often come in saying the gas was no good as his car was not running smooth and he wanted a free gallon. Finally the owner of the gas station took him aside and told him his business was no longer wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 12:16 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
When I was a kid I worked in a gas station pumping gas. At the time the old folks asked for gas by the gallons as in I want 10 gallons versus say $3 worth. One fellow was very cantankerous and would argue about being a penny off. He would get out of the car and look real close at the pump dials and argue about a penny. He would often come in saying the gas was no good as his car was not running smooth and he wanted a free gallon. Finally the owner of the gas station took him aside and told him his business was no longer wanted.

Oh yeah, I remember those guys. Ten gallons, $3.69.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:04 PM

275 posts, read 185,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
... cc cc

Also where do you think a MOM and POP station gets theirs from.. They buy from whomever they can which is a name brand refinery.... So while you might not like going there they basically have the same gas as other places...

So while sometimes you get worse mileage from your fillup it has basically nothing to do with the gas..More like how much of a mixture of brands is in the tanks...
Not really, Unbranded fas stations mainly buy the lowest gasoline grade, they dont buy the branded grade with all the nice additives. Usually they buy cheap gas which is lower quality even if it comes from an Exxon or Chevron refinery.
Cheaper gas can mess up your enginee in the long run, more sediments and sludge.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:13 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
I think it was 2010 when I filled up my old Jeep with a combination gas and diesel at a Maverik in Moab UT. The fuel truck driver had dumped diesel fuel into the underground tank. And what was really bad was this station didn't even sell diesel fuel; the one at the southern end of Moab did. However, Maverik paid for the repairs to clean and flush the system. They did that for about 70 + vehicles; including one guy who had a Porsche that had to be flat towed from Moab UT to Salt Lake City for repairs.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:19 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nam2015 View Post
Not really, Unbranded fas stations mainly buy the lowest gasoline grade, they dont buy the branded grade with all the nice additives. Usually they buy cheap gas which is lower quality even if it comes from an Exxon or Chevron refinery.
Cheaper gas can mess up your enginee in the long run, more sediments and sludge.
No..Having worked in the "gasoline" industry for a few years, the refineries, do not specifically "make" cheap gas...

They might not have the exact requirements of say like Shell, Chevron, etc but they do all have detergents, and suppressors in the gas...

Besides if you would have bothered to actually read my post, ALL of the stations buy from whomever they need to to fullfill their obligations... Whether it is "cheap" gas or not..

So with that in mind, you can buy from a Mom and pop station that has the same gas that the Shell station down the street has...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive