Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 07:49 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Manufacturers don't care about wear and tear, that's their bread and butter .
As a mechanic and having replaced a lot of starter drive gear ring and pinion ,the wear and tear is significant including the starter winding and brushes, and that through normal use on rental equipment .
What am I saying ,
never mind ,, the repair industry could use a boost in the economy .it's a major project doing R&R on a ring gear, especially on front wheel drive vehicles.

How much, approximately, does it run to replace a ring gear on a flywheel nowadays? Are they pulling the engine to do this job, or only the transmission?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 10:16 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
This is a very popular move with people where I live. They are always in a $50k+ luxury car/suv that gets 14-18 mpg. I assume they think they are saving gas by turning the engine off for 30 seconds at a light. But doesn't starting the engine use more gas than idling for 30 seconds?
Some UK cars are made that way. VW has a 45 second timer I have heard.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:19 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Default What's up with people that shut off their engine at a red light?

I know, right? How dare they?!

One of our work cars (well, it's assigned to someone else, not me) is a hybrid? Is that what it is? Electric/gas? Strange but cool. It has a graphic of a tree limb on the dash and when you use more energy more leaves fall off.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:20 AM

16,668 posts, read 17,433,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Interesting. I guess I need to step up my car budget to get into this new technology

It's standard on my daughter's sub 1 Litre Fiat 500.

Pretty common over here.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:22 AM

16,668 posts, read 17,433,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Some UK cars are made that way. VW has a 45 second timer I have heard.

That's only under laboratory test conditions.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:30 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,925,052 times
On an older car rear wheel drive all you needed was to drop the transmission and replace the fly wheel or ring gear on the torque converter reinstall the transmission and good to go 2-6 hours depending on vehicle.
Modern cars with front wheel drive, I imagine you'd have to pull the engine and all taking a day or two. That's a finished job all hoses and other components correctly reinstalled .
You'd best call your local dealership and reference your own car for that information.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:50 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
...per car times 16 million cars sold every year...it adds up.
Not if it's shortening the life of other components...those cost energy to manufacture as well. If the components were designed for it, fine. But in a conventional auto, components are designed with different presumptions in mind.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:57 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
As for saving gas, I don't know if that short time saves gas. I've heard that turning a light off and on uses more electricity than keeping it on, but I read a so-called expert article that explained that's not true. Off is off. It's using no juice. It doesn't use enough much more to equal the saved amount from being totally off. Maybe it's the same with cars.
If all one is considering is the electricity being used to provide light, that's true. But the lifespans of both incandescent and CFLs are seriously shortened by high cycling, and the environmental costs of replacing them too early can outstrip the electricity saving--particularly with CFLs.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:03 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
My BMW does it, but only once the car is warmed up. If the engine is off for too long, then the heat or A/C doesn't beat or cool properly and it automatically turns back on. I can permanently disable the feature, but it's not that bothersome and appears somewhat effective. It's also disabled when the car is in "sport" mode.

Not sure if you ever experience this. If you park you car but turn engine off only and leave it in accessory. Your car may start back up after a while to prevent battery drain.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:08 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
If I saw someone shut there car of manually at a red light I think I'd have to flip them off.
The difference between turning engines off manually, and flipping them off, is not really all that much. Either way, it's a turn off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive