Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 09:21 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,462,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Some of the XC60 did come up in our search. For some reason hubby doesn't like the 'crossover' look. He likes the old style boxish Explorer. *sigh* I keep telling him they just don't make them like that anymore. He thinks the crossovers will sit too low too. I think we're just going to have to find a big dealer with a lot of the different types we're looking at and spend a day driving them. I was really hoping to narrow it down to a single car so we could just go to one new dealer.

What does everyone think about a one or two year old used vehicle with low miles still under warranty? Originally I said new, period, end of discussion. But it looks like going a year or two old will save us more than I thought. I just don't want to risk the reliability or the warranty. The car will likely get maybe 5k miles a year put on it max.
If you have a Carmax nearby, they're the best place I know of to see a lot of different brands in one place. I don't necessarily recommend buying one from them because their prices are non-negotiable and tend to run a bit on the high side.

Buying a one or two year old used car with low miles and remaining warranty can be a very good deal. The biggest concern I have is whether that 'almost new' car is a former rental. There are varying points of view on buying a former rental, but I personally don't want one.

The other question, if it isn't a former rental, is why did the original owner trade it in so soon? I suggest checking the Carfax and AutoCheck reports and also asking the dealer why the car was traded in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 10:37 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,157,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
Consumer Reports Recommends the following

Small sport-utility vehicles
-Subaru Forester
-Toyota RAV4
-Subaru XV Crosstrek
-Mazda CX-5
-Honda CR-V

Midsized sport-utility vehicles
-Toyota Highlander
-Kia Sorento
-Nissan Murano

Wagons
-Subaru Outback

Luxury sport-utility vehicles
-Acura MDX

A lot of these vehicles are not SUVs, they are cross-overs and some are all wheel drive.

For instance the highlander is sitting on a Toyota Camry frame. It is just really a car.

Also most folks want a third row in a SUV if you are car-pooling or using if for vacation or trips. The above are good commuter cars.

Years ago I had a Jeep CJ7, I took it off road a few times, I had a permit. Not a single vehicle on the above list were trail rated. They did not have the clearance, the tire size, horsepower, skid plates, true four wheel drive. AWD is only four wheel drive in forward gear, it does not work in reverse, you cant rock your way out.

My wife has the GMC Acadia Denali right now. She loves it to death. But to me it is kinda a "mommy limo" great in snow to pick up kids, amazing comfort, drives like a nice car.

Tow a boat, go off road, OMG don't no way. It is not a work truck. The new GMC Acadia and its sister cars from Chevy and Buick are very nice. You can get some good lease deals. It is all new for 16 and they rarely change body styles so it will look new for a good 8-10 years.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:22 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
If you're looking for a reliable CPO crossover and want a luxurious cabin and a comfortable cabin, the Lexus RX 350 is very difficult to beat. The GX is on the 4Runner platform and the LX is on the Land Cruiser, and I prefer the LX over the GX, personally, since the LX is a better all around truck, but a bit much for your needs, though a CPO would be a great vehicle. However, the RX is efficient, and is extremely popular, and you have a hybrid option available if that's a concern. Lexus also has an excellent CPO program, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, myself, though I have never found a CPO LX available as I wanted it when I was looking for one. For a smaller crossover, the RX is compelling.

The MDX is good, and reliable with a very good AWD system available, but the shortcomings are that it is really an Acura wagon crossover, same as the RX, not a true truck-based SUV as you would get with the larger Lexus and Toyota offerings.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-29-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
A lot of these vehicles are not SUVs, they are cross-overs and some are all wheel drive.
Help me think of what 'true' SUVs still exist.

Jeep Grand Cherokee
Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon/Cadillac Escalade and their extended versions (Suburban,etc.)
Ford Expedition/Lincoln Navigator
Toyota Sequoia
Toyota 4-Runner
Lexus GX460
Toyota Land Cruiser
Lexus LX570
Dodge Durango
Nissan Armada
Land Rover LR4
Range Rover

What else?

The CUV (Crossover) has largely replaced the SUV and most people use the terms/acronyms interchangeably.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:41 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
Help me think of what 'true' SUVs still exist.

Jeep Grand Cherokee
Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon/Cadillac Escalade and their extended versions (Suburban,etc.)
Ford Expedition/Lincoln Navigator
Toyota Sequoia
Toyota 4-Runner
Lexus GX460
Toyota Land Cruiser
Lexus LX570
Dodge Durango
Nissan Armada
Land Rover LR4
Range Rover

What else?

The CUV (Crossover) has largely replaced the SUV and most people use the terms/acronyms interchangeably.
Mercedes Gelandewagen would be another to add to the list as would be the Nissan Armada and Infiniti QX80

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-29-2016, 07:02 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
Consumer Reports Recommends the following

Small sport-utility vehicles
-Subaru Forester
-Toyota RAV4
-Subaru XV Crosstrek
-Mazda CX-5
-Honda CR-V

Midsized sport-utility vehicles
-Toyota Highlander
-Kia Sorento
-Nissan Murano

Wagons
-Subaru Outback

Luxury sport-utility vehicles
-Acura MDX
I'm 6'2". I can't get in and out of my 5th gen Outback wearing a ski helmet without hitting the door frame. It's a lifted Legacy station wagon. Somebody with a broken back and neck might have an issue getting in and out of it so they'd have to try it. I have a 6-cylinder. I'd enthusiastically recommend it over pretty much anything anywhere near it's price point. I paid $34-ish thousand for a completely loaded one. The bare bones 4 cylinders are about $10K cheaper and are a great value.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:06 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
Stop nit-picking. The OP has a husband with a broken back. They care about getting in and out of the car. They're not looking for towing capacity, attaching a snow plow, or off-roading capability where body-on-frame matters.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:21 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
TrueDelta -- Real Car Owners Driving Real Car Information Check here.....you can sign up for free to get complete results.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Some of the XC60 did come up in our search. For some reason hubby doesn't like the 'crossover' look. He likes the old style boxish Explorer. *sigh* I keep telling him they just don't make them like that anymore. He thinks the crossovers will sit too low too. I think we're just going to have to find a big dealer with a lot of the different types we're looking at and spend a day driving them. I was really hoping to narrow it down to a single car so we could just go to one new dealer.

What does everyone think about a one or two year old used vehicle with low miles still under warranty? Originally I said new, period, end of discussion. But it looks like going a year or two old will save us more than I thought. I just don't want to risk the reliability or the warranty. The car will likely get maybe 5k miles a year put on it max.
When I bought my '12 Mazda CX-9, one of the reasons I chose it was because my grandmother (who was 92 then, passed away last May) could get in and out easier than any other car or SUV I tried. Actually, I should clarify that I was able to help her into the vehicle at first and eventually I was lifting her into the seat. It was just the right height that I could transition to/from wheelchair much easier than my little Mazda3 Hatchback that sits low to the ground.

Some of the SUVs I looked at had a big door jamb/seal to step over (3in or so) and it was very difficult. The more traditional SUVs were also significantly higher off the ground, which was a problem in my situation but your husband's height means he longer legs.

I still think you should keep the Acura MDX in mind. You won't find a more reliable vehicle and it also holds its value better than anything else in the class. It's gets top marks in all the safety/crash tests and it's very nice to drive as well.

If you get the MDX in Forest Mist Metallic (dark green) or White Diamond Pearl (pearl white), you can choose a rather unique interior color called Eucalyptus. Against the wood and aluminum trim on the dashboard, console and doors, it looks amazing. At least in my opinion.

There are very few boxy/blocky-looking SUVs these days. And almost all of the ones that are still around are MASSIVE. I would love to recommend the Jeep Grand Cherokee, I love them when I get one as a rental. But reliability isn't really in their repertoire.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:44 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
We recently bought a 2016 Ford Explorer 6cyl and it's very comfortable with a smooth ride. Wife has a handicap and I had installed Westin step rails which look great and make it easy for her to get and out of it. She loves the comfort and the lumbar seats. Have not had any problems with the vehicle so far.
Our last Explorer had 115,000 miles on it, never had a problem with it, Gave it to our daughter who loves it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive