Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 04:53 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times

Advertisements

The solution, get in the car and drive it quickly. The more friction you on the car the faster the car warms up and heater works better.

Remote start and burning "rich" is the most expensive way to heat the car and your mileage suffers. Hey gas is only $1.60 these days so it's not a big deal but wait til it goes back to $4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 05:44 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
My car heats up in one minute so I don't see what the problem is.
See? That's just wrong. I gotta drive 10 miles down the road before my car blows BARELY warm air. That's AFTER warming it up for 20 minutes!

OP, I am SO with you!

Old 01-24-2016, 06:04 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The solution, get in the car and drive it quickly. The more friction you on the car the faster the car warms up and heater works better.

Remote start and burning "rich" is the most expensive way to heat the car and your mileage suffers. Hey gas is only $1.60 these days so it's not a big deal but wait til it goes back to $4.
This is pretty much the worst advice ever.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:07 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
When we lived in NW Wyoming, we had block heaters. it was a heated pump inserted inline in the heater lines, and plugged into a power outlet. Circulates the coolant overnight, when you come out in the morning, unplug, hop in and start 'er up. Nice and toasty, and the windshield is all but clear of frost.

I assume they still make them. We tend to live where we don't need such things, anymore.

Now a 400 watt freeze plug heater is the norm. Or an oil pan heater. Those 750, 1000 and 1500 watt circulating heaters have gone the way of the dinosaur.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
See? That's just wrong. I gotta drive 10 miles down the road before my car blows BARELY warm air. That's AFTER warming it up for 20 minutes!

OP, I am SO with you!

You may want to have that checked out. Unless you have a diesel. No way a gas engine should take that long to warm up, even if it's below zero.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:35 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You may want to have that checked out. Unless you have a diesel. No way a gas engine should take that long to warm up, even if it's below zero.
Perhaps his thermostat valve is stuck open?

Old 01-24-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Perhaps his thermostat valve is stuck open?

Good possibility.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:14 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,321 times
Good question, OP. To those who suggest warm clothing: I live in Saskatoon, Canada. We get temperatures as low as 40 below zero. The moisture left behind in exhaled breath coats the windshield with frost crystals within minutes of turning off the vehicle. If you dress warm enough to be comfortable inside (including insulated pants - a cold seat can drain you of heat through your ass faster than the speed of light), you'll never be able to venture into any heated building.

My car's heating once broke down. The windows were all frosted over inside and my breath kept adding to it, so my only option was to roll down the windows to let the dry outside air take all the moisture away. It was -20 degrees F and I was comfortable driving at 40 mph. But, I was dressed like the Michelin Man.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:30 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Why can't we use modern battery technology for a dedicated instant heat system? Batteries are pushing 2 ton cars around and can power a house for a short time. Surely a smaller version could provide heat for 5 minutes.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:37 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Good question, OP. To those who suggest warm clothing: I live in Saskatoon, Canada. We get temperatures as low as 40 below zero. The moisture left behind in exhaled breath coats the windshield with frost crystals within minutes of turning off the vehicle. If you dress warm enough to be comfortable inside (including insulated pants - a cold seat can drain you of heat through your ass faster than the speed of light), you'll never be able to venture into any heated building.

My car's heating once broke down. The windows were all frosted over inside and my breath kept adding to it, so my only option was to roll down the windows to let the dry outside air take all the moisture away. It was -20 degrees F and I was comfortable driving at 40 mph. But, I was dressed like the Michelin Man.
Considering where you live, have you considered Aerogel jackets? They're expensive ($300 or more) but they are very thin and yet very warm. Early prototype clothing made with aerogel insulation was tested on high mountains and the results were too good. The climbers overheated and had to take the clothing off. Since then they've worked on making the clothing more easily able to breath while still providing good insulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive