Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 06:04 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,547,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
New Volvo!

For safety, the newer the better, IMO. Better brakes, suspension and safety features.

However, I don't like all of the technology either, am not so concerned about safety and am cheap, so it's

older cars for me.

What older cars do you think are built the strongest to survive in a crash? And by "old" I also include all the way up to the 1990s .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I do think about crash test ratings now when looking at vehicles, there are way too many people now looking at their phones while driving, and I've noticed them veering into my lane more than once. I had a 2004 Chevy Venture that was in perfect condition, but I sold it after watching the frontal crash test video of it, it did horribly.
It is scary to learn you vehicle is not safe. I really wish there were more crash test data on the cars from 2004 back. I honestly believe some of them would do okay in a crash test.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Yes!
Now, if I just had the money to buy one and set it up the way I want it.
THAT is an insurmountable problem!
Perhaps a long term project fixing it up slowly over time you could do it?

Old 01-29-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I could care less about crash ratings. They don't figure in my decision on which vehicle to buy.

Why don't you look at crash ratings? Is it because you do not believe the crash tests or do you think most cars are built safe enough when you add good driving skills?

Old 01-29-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I haven't done a thorough study of this, but their tests seem pretty transparent. In addition, every car manufacturer has an incentive in getting as high scores as possible for its vehicles, so if there were a hint of any dishonesty they would be all over it trying to discredit the tests.

I hope your right that nobody at IIHS could ever be dishonest with the crash test results, I wonder this though do the car manufacturers provide the cars themselves to be crash tested or does the IIHS choose them at random?

Old 01-29-2016, 07:28 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Perhaps a long term project fixing it up slowly over time you could do it?
At the present time, the money to buy the car isn't there, much less the money for the modifications.
I am 74 years old. I may not have time for a long term project!

Old 01-29-2016, 08:12 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
...the most important safety feature is the driver, even when it comes to avoiding the stupidity of other drivers. As a better driver, you can avoid other driver's doing stupid things, and mitigate the results of what is impossible to avoid. Been there, done that for 40 years of performance driving.

Basically, this is a long way of saying "buy a car you like, that you can afford, then be the best driver you can be, even if that means taking better lessons to unlearn years of poor habits."

For me, I couldn't care less about crash ratings...
Same here, I don't pay any attention to crash ratings. I drive with the thought in mind that everyone around me is a moron just a brainfart away from doing something exceedingly stupid. It often turns out that there is at least one idiot somewhere in the vicinity, but because I'm prepared for it I tend to be able to avoid their stupidity.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:28 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
How do you learn to drive that way and who teaches it?
There are plenty of performance/advanced driving schools, it's a lucrative business. Some schools are focused on racing techniques on the track, some are designed for executive protection professionals and others who might likely need pursuit and/or escape and evasion techniques on real-world streets.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:42 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,395 times
Quote:
How do you learn to drive that way and who teaches it?

Do you know how to pay attention to your surroundings? That's seriously 80% of it. The rest is leaning automotive physics by paying attention to how cars move out on the road, and performance driving schools to learn car control on your part.

For me, my dad (who was a driving instructor) instilled car control in me early on, as well as making sure I simply paid attention all around me to how cars were positioned and moving, and looking as I approached intersections for cars moving (or stopped) on either side. And then practicing that every time I drove. Then racing karts and moving on to racing cars.

For example, when approaching an intersection, cars stopped on either side will block cars that are already moving from coming in and hitting you from the side. if there are no cars sitting there, then looking for cars not slowing down from either side can let you know that someone is about to run the red/stop sign and you can act accordingly to speed up or slow down or swerve slightly to avoid.

When sitting stopped at a stop sign or light, already have an escape route planned so that if someone comes from behind you can avoid the rear end accident (and always pay attention to your mirrors when coming to a stop or sitting to make sure you see that happening before it becomes critical).

Learn how fast cars can change speed or direction so you can prepare for any idiocy around you. Judging speed and direction is a key facet of avoidance. Cars can't change sped or direction rapidly, so you usually have plenty of time to avoid either situation. Even head on collisions can be safely avoided by paying attention to cars coming at you and realizing that they can't change direction fast, so you have time to predict and avoid when they start to come over.

You can practice all of this while walking around a store or mall or the like by watching people walking and judging how fast and what direction they are going to avoid all of them as you are walking though them.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:54 AM

Was anyone else shocked to learn of the Takata airbag recall potentially involving more than 34 million US cars? The airbags actually explode metal parts into into their victims. And the recall list keeps growing, expanding to include more cars. Their earliest models date back to 2000 ! Let me get this straight it took them 16 years to figure out this was happening?! Does anyone else sense a cover up ?

And with the list growing you have to wonder if the models from the same car manufacturers that have not made it onto the list will be on there in the future meanwhile the cars are still unsafe. And how do you know with the cars that have been recalled if they can fix the airbag properly?Unlike most parts that are recalled you do not know if the airbag is functioning properly until you are in an accident.

Here is some recent information on the subject:
Massive Takata Airbag Recall: Everything You Need to Know

Here is a quote from the article:
"In July, NHTSA forced additional regional recalls in high-humidity areas including Florida, Hawaii, and the U.S. Virgin Islands to gather removed parts and send them to Takata for review."

I live in Florida what does that mean exactly recalls in "high humidity" areas and why? Glad to know I drive a Hyundai which is a manufacturer that is currently not on the list, but I should take this recall into consideration for which used car I may buy in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive