Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 06:33 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
How do you choose the safest car ?

I have been studying the crash test ratings of mostly used cars and have become quite confused. First of all there is a shocking lack of crash test information and ratings on cars pre 2004 especially from the IIHS...
When my last car was purchased (before 2004), I read numerous articles, including some from Auto, Motor und Sport and Stiftungs Warentest (the second is like Consumer Reports), among others, because I knew they had safety data in them.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 01-27-2016 at 06:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 04:32 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
I do think about crash test ratings now when looking at vehicles, there are way too many people now looking at their phones while driving, and I've noticed them veering into my lane more than once. I had a 2004 Chevy Venture that was in perfect condition, but I sold it after watching the frontal crash test video of it, it did horribly.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:40 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,549,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The IIHS advises the automakers of their upcoming new tests usually with a few months notice. It is up to the automaker to make sure the car passes the test. Most of them simulate the tests on computers and have a very good idea of how the vehicle will do on that test.

Very often existing cars will be tested to the new standards because the automaker does not want to invest the money to upgrade a model that may be replaced soon. Or a design is so far along the automaker won't delay introduction and will upgrade the vehicle next year.

For instance the 2014 CRV was rated marginal for the small front overlap and the 2015 - basically the same vehicle - was rated good. Conversely, the Pilot had a poor score from 2012-2015 and the new 2016 model is rated as good.

Also keep in mind that the IIHS tests are not mandated. IIHS is a group owned by the insurance companies. They do independent tests to determine the safety of vehicles based on their parameters. Cars that do not pass their tests are charged higher rates.

Thank you for the information. I would love to get hold of whatever computer simulation software the auto manufacturers use to test their cars and use it to test the cars that do not have enough IIHS rating information.

It sounds like some of the auto manufacturers will sometimes deliberately, knowingly, produce a car that will not get a good crash test rating, for reasons of their own.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I do think about crash test ratings now when looking at vehicles, there are way too many people now looking at their phones while driving, and I've noticed them veering into my lane more than once. I had a 2004 Chevy Venture that was in perfect condition, but I sold it after watching the frontal crash test video of it, it did horribly.
I really believe that talking on the phone while driving should not be allowed .

Old 01-28-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
When my last car was purchased (before 2004), I read numerous articles, including some from Auto, Motor und Sport and Stiftungs Warentest (the second is like Consumer Reports), among others, because I knew they had safety data in them.
How do they get that data if the IIHS and the NHTSA do not test the car ? Do they crash test cars themselves? And isnt it true the the ratings from the IIHS are stricter than the NHTSA ? What about other countries testing the same car do you know if they have crash test results from older cars to look at?

Old 01-28-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Yeah, that sounds great.

I tell you what, go to YouTube and watch a few hours of Russian dashcam videos, then come back and tell me how easy it is to avoid accidents caused by others by using your good driving skills.

Skills combined with safe cars SOMETIMES saves your life.
Yes I guess we just all must do the best we can

Old 01-28-2016, 07:51 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Thank you for the information. I would love to get hold of whatever computer simulation software the auto manufacturers use to test their cars and use it to test the cars that do not have enough IIHS rating information.

It sounds like some of the auto manufacturers will sometimes deliberately, knowingly, produce a car that will not get a good crash test rating, for reasons of their own.
Well, it isn't that exactly. I worked in a Toyota store, and one year the Camry got a crash test rating that wasn't competitive with similar offerings. It was exactly the same as the previous four years, and the previous four years, the car had done very well. The difference was the test changed, and since Toyota was coming out with a brand new Camry in 10 months, they didn't bother to change it. It wasn't that the car became unsafe. The measuring stick changed.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post
My 1991 Jetta has been sitting for 2 years because of an electronic fuel injection problem, whereas my mechanically fuel injected 1985 Jetta runs perfect.

This is exactly the type of car issue I have been concerned about , that the electronic computerized parts will malfunction and cause all kinds of expensive hard to repair trouble.

I just wish it were possible to install front and side airbags on a 1980s vehicle . Then you would have a reliable and easy to repair car that is also safe in a crash.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Well, it isn't that exactly. I worked in a Toyota store, and one year the Camry got a crash test rating that wasn't competitive with similar offerings. It was exactly the same as the previous four years, and the previous four years, the car had done very well. The difference was the test changed, and since Toyota was coming out with a brand new Camry in 10 months, they didn't bother to change it. It wasn't that the car became unsafe. The measuring stick changed.

Yes I read the IIHS added another type of crash test around 2012 to study the effects of crashes on the front corner of a car.

The New Crash Test That Will Change Your Next Car

Old 01-28-2016, 08:18 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Yes!
Now, if I just had the money to buy one and set it up the way I want it.
THAT is an insurmountable problem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive