U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-27-2016, 10:44 PM
 
803 posts, read 471,223 times
Reputation: 2663

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynnetman View Post
Do you think my fear is rational or do you think there is little to no chance of me being reported? And if someone did report me, when should I expect to receive my ticket in the mail and how much will the fine be? I live in New Jersey.
Literally any other bad thing you can think of, with the possible exception of a land shark knocking on your door, has a higher probability of occurring than the chance that you will receive a ticket in the mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-28-2016, 12:50 AM
 
Location: Caverns measureless to man...
7,248 posts, read 4,691,927 times
Reputation: 16403
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
Literally any other bad thing you can think of, with the possible exception of a land shark knocking on your door, has a higher probability of occurring than the chance that you will receive a ticket in the mail.
Don't be so cavalier about those damned land sharks. I've seen them on TV, and they're scary as hell. Just when you think it's safe to answer your door...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2016, 05:54 AM
 
Location: Ft. Myers
17,661 posts, read 11,220,636 times
Reputation: 37732
This is one of my pet peeves..........people driving at dusk or even at night and forgetting to turn their headlights on. I see it all the time, not just on rare occasions. Do they not notice their dashboard is unlighted ?

My own car has lights that come on automatically at reduced light conditions, but even if it didn't, I would be smart enough to realize it was pretty dark and turn them on. Just this week I had to pull up next to a guy in traffic at about 9 pm, blow the horn, and tell the dummy to turn his lights on. He was totally oblivious to it.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2016, 06:56 AM
 
Location: Long Island
8,745 posts, read 12,219,306 times
Reputation: 5048
auto-headlights - modern technology is great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2016, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Raleigh
8,350 posts, read 6,200,449 times
Reputation: 11655
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
This is one of my pet peeves..........people driving at dusk or even at night and forgetting to turn their headlights on. I see it all the time, not just on rare occasions. Do they not notice their dashboard is unlighted ?

My own car has lights that come on automatically at reduced light conditions, but even if it didn't, I would be smart enough to realize it was pretty dark and turn them on. Just this week I had to pull up next to a guy in traffic at about 9 pm, blow the horn, and tell the dummy to turn his lights on. He was totally oblivious to it.

Don
But, you honk or flash your brights; you don't call the fuzz, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2016, 07:50 AM
 
1,830 posts, read 720,832 times
Reputation: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Your fear is irrational. Cops can't and don't write tickets based on the hearsay of another person.
If they did, can your imagine how inundated they would be with false traffic violation reports made by ex boyfriends and girlfriends, people going through divorces, feuding neighbors and coworkers, etc? They wouldn't be able to get anything else done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2016, 08:03 AM
 
34 posts, read 27,536 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynnetman View Post
I work a part time job as a cashier after school and on the weekends. The job is about 10 minutes from my house, and I worked a 4 hour shift tonight and drove about 5 minutes of the drive home with my headlights off. I did notice it was dark, but I didn't think much of it because it's a late January night, but at a light I looked down and realized my speedometer wasn't illuminated and quickly turned on the headlights. Luckily I was not pulled over, so there were probably no cops around, but I am worried that a driver either heading in the opposite direction as me or behind me noted my license plate number and turned me in to the police. Do you think my fear is rational or do you think there is little to no chance of me being reported? And if someone did report me, when should I expect to receive my ticket in the mail and how much will the fine be? I live in New Jersey.
Why worry about something you can do nothing about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2016, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Central IL
15,250 posts, read 8,572,788 times
Reputation: 35701
Would have to be a real $*&%^ to report you and yet they couldn't flash their lights to let you know? I'd guess not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2016, 08:39 AM
 
3,196 posts, read 1,820,974 times
Reputation: 8438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynnetman View Post
I work a part time job as a cashier after school and on the weekends. The job is about 10 minutes from my house, and I worked a 4 hour shift tonight and drove about 5 minutes of the drive home with my headlights off. I did notice it was dark, but I didn't think much of it because it's a late January night, but at a light I looked down and realized my speedometer wasn't illuminated and quickly turned on the headlights. Luckily I was not pulled over, so there were probably no cops around, but I am worried that a driver either heading in the opposite direction as me or behind me noted my license plate number and turned me in to the police. Do you think my fear is rational or do you think there is little to no chance of me being reported? And if someone did report me, when should I expect to receive my ticket in the mail and how much will the fine be? I live in New Jersey.
Exactly what year, make, and model of car do you drive that does not illuminate the speedometer as soon as the car is started?

Last edited by rugrats2001; 01-28-2016 at 09:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2016, 09:00 AM
 
3,196 posts, read 1,820,974 times
Reputation: 8438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Don't be so cavalier about those damned land sharks. I've seen them on TV, and they're scary as hell. Just when you think it's safe to answer your door...
"Candygram"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top