Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 07:53 AM

15,397 posts, read 25,666,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Is your car equipped with daytime running lights?
Even if they are, they aren't good enough for night driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 07:56 AM

10,924 posts, read 21,895,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Even if they are, they aren't good enough for night driving.
Some are worse than nothing at all. Many cars use low intensity high beams for DRL's which can still blind oncoming traffic. Not to mention the rear of the car still isn't lit up.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:45 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,581,833 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9efgLHgsBmM

Old 01-27-2016, 08:59 AM

14 posts, read 19,836 times
Stop being so paranoid and move on with your life.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:12 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,166,502 times
Is this the type of society we live in where we fear getting into trouble for petty things like this? OP, no of course you will not receive any type of ticket, I am curious as to what gave you that inclination in the first place. I see your type on the road at least once a day when driving in the dark, I have no idea how you do not immediately realize your lights are not on. Very unobservant.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:14 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,080,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually they can as long as the other person is willing to make a citizens arrest and testify in open court, and accept the possibility of being sued for false arrest, or other such charge as a good attorney sees fit.
You can't make a citizen's arrest for an offense that is not arrestable.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:39 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,523,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynnetman View Post
I work a part time job as a cashier after school and on the weekends. The job is about 10 minutes from my house, and I worked a 4 hour shift tonight and drove about 5 minutes of the drive home with my headlights off. I did notice it was dark, but I didn't think much of it because it's a late January night, but at a light I looked down and realized my speedometer wasn't illuminated and quickly turned on the headlights. Luckily I was not pulled over, so there were probably no cops around, but I am worried that a driver either heading in the opposite direction as me or behind me noted my license plate number and turned me in to the police. Do you think my fear is rational or do you think there is little to no chance of me being reported? And if someone did report me, when should I expect to receive my ticket in the mail and how much will the fine be? I live in New Jersey.

How would they be able to read your license plate? No lights includes no license plate light. Plus, it was dark, so they probably didn't see you. I wouldn't worry. You got away with it. Rest easy. And get a car with headlights that turn on automatically when it's dark.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:42 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,417,883 times
OP, you're all worked up over nothing. Even if a cop actually saw you driving without lights and pulled you over, odds are 95% you would just get a warning, unless you have a criminal history or give the cop attitude. Certainly no average citizen cares enough to call in your license plate and even if they did the cops aren't going to give you a ticket for something they didn't see with their own eyes.

I have automatic lights on my car and love them. The only annoying thing with them is every time I get the car serviced, they always turn off the automatic lights and I always forget that until I end up driving in the dark again. Sometimes I've gone for several blocks before I realize the lights got turned off. I don't understand why the service people always do that. If they find the switch turned to auto, they should leave the switch turned to auto when they're done testing the lights.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:42 AM

49 posts, read 49,654 times
If anybody were to try to take action on that, you'd think they'd be flashing their lights at you or yelling at you instead of calling the cops. Why didn't anyone flash their lights at you? Really inconsiderate of them, in my opinion.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:48 AM

10,924 posts, read 21,895,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by existant View Post
If anybody were to try to take action on that, you'd think they'd be flashing their lights at you or yelling at you instead of calling the cops. Why didn't anyone flash their lights at you? Really inconsiderate of them, in my opinion.
Yup it's 100% every other driver on the roads fault that the OP didn't turn their headlights on

If a driver doesn't notice (in the dark no less) that they don't have their lights on, it's not likely they'll understand why oncoming traffic is flashing their lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive