Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 10:44 PM

1,156 posts, read 939,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynnetman View Post
Do you think my fear is rational or do you think there is little to no chance of me being reported? And if someone did report me, when should I expect to receive my ticket in the mail and how much will the fine be? I live in New Jersey.
Literally any other bad thing you can think of, with the possible exception of a land shark knocking on your door, has a higher probability of occurring than the chance that you will receive a ticket in the mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 12:50 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,622,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
Literally any other bad thing you can think of, with the possible exception of a land shark knocking on your door, has a higher probability of occurring than the chance that you will receive a ticket in the mail.
Don't be so cavalier about those damned land sharks. I've seen them on TV, and they're scary as hell. Just when you think it's safe to answer your door...

Old 01-28-2016, 05:54 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times
This is one of my pet peeves..........people driving at dusk or even at night and forgetting to turn their headlights on. I see it all the time, not just on rare occasions. Do they not notice their dashboard is unlighted ?

My own car has lights that come on automatically at reduced light conditions, but even if it didn't, I would be smart enough to realize it was pretty dark and turn them on. Just this week I had to pull up next to a guy in traffic at about 9 pm, blow the horn, and tell the dummy to turn his lights on. He was totally oblivious to it.

Don

Old 01-28-2016, 06:56 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
auto-headlights - modern technology is great

Old 01-28-2016, 07:22 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
This is one of my pet peeves..........people driving at dusk or even at night and forgetting to turn their headlights on. I see it all the time, not just on rare occasions. Do they not notice their dashboard is unlighted ?

My own car has lights that come on automatically at reduced light conditions, but even if it didn't, I would be smart enough to realize it was pretty dark and turn them on. Just this week I had to pull up next to a guy in traffic at about 9 pm, blow the horn, and tell the dummy to turn his lights on. He was totally oblivious to it.

Don
But, you honk or flash your brights; you don't call the fuzz, no?

Old 01-28-2016, 07:50 AM

2,642 posts, read 1,371,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Your fear is irrational. Cops can't and don't write tickets based on the hearsay of another person.
If they did, can your imagine how inundated they would be with false traffic violation reports made by ex boyfriends and girlfriends, people going through divorces, feuding neighbors and coworkers, etc? They wouldn't be able to get anything else done!

Old 01-28-2016, 08:03 AM

34 posts, read 33,206 times
Quote:
I work a part time job as a cashier after school and on the weekends. The job is about 10 minutes from my house, and I worked a 4 hour shift tonight and drove about 5 minutes of the drive home with my headlights off. I did notice it was dark, but I didn't think much of it because it's a late January night, but at a light I looked down and realized my speedometer wasn't illuminated and quickly turned on the headlights. Luckily I was not pulled over, so there were probably no cops around, but I am worried that a driver either heading in the opposite direction as me or behind me noted my license plate number and turned me in to the police. Do you think my fear is rational or do you think there is little to no chance of me being reported? And if someone did report me, when should I expect to receive my ticket in the mail and how much will the fine be? I live in New Jersey.
Why worry about something you can do nothing about?

Old 01-28-2016, 08:23 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Would have to be a real $*&%^ to report you and yet they couldn't flash their lights to let you know? I'd guess not...

Old 01-28-2016, 08:39 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,620,722 times
Quote:
I work a part time job as a cashier after school and on the weekends. The job is about 10 minutes from my house, and I worked a 4 hour shift tonight and drove about 5 minutes of the drive home with my headlights off. I did notice it was dark, but I didn't think much of it because it's a late January night, but at a light I looked down and realized my speedometer wasn't illuminated and quickly turned on the headlights. Luckily I was not pulled over, so there were probably no cops around, but I am worried that a driver either heading in the opposite direction as me or behind me noted my license plate number and turned me in to the police. Do you think my fear is rational or do you think there is little to no chance of me being reported? And if someone did report me, when should I expect to receive my ticket in the mail and how much will the fine be? I live in New Jersey.
Exactly what year, make, and model of car do you drive that does not illuminate the speedometer as soon as the car is started?

Last edited by rugrats2001; 01-28-2016 at 09:01 AM..

Old 01-28-2016, 09:00 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,620,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Don't be so cavalier about those damned land sharks. I've seen them on TV, and they're scary as hell. Just when you think it's safe to answer your door...
"Candygram"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive