Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 07:53 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,705,413 times

Advertisements

I did a search and couldn't find anything on this, so I thought I would start a thread to help anyone who is thinking of beginning to do some basic maintenance /repairs on their cars at home. The information here will be VERY BASIC and in simple language so as to not confuse people who have never done this sort of thing before, or who have done very little of it. If you want to chime in and offer other suggestions, please do so. Some of the things I am going to suggest might seem odd to people who are professional mechanics or serious hobbyists, but this thread is aimed at the guy or girl who is not as familiar with this stuff as some of us.

First the basics:

1) Cars today can be held together with either METRIC or SAE (inch increment) sized bolts and nuts. Some cars have both types of fasteners on them, so you have to sometimes try fitting a couple of different sockets or wrenches on to know what one fits the tightest.

2) You can borrow some tools from places like Advance Auto or Autozone, you simply pay a deposit and when you return it you get your money back. I do this occasionally, even though I have a shop full of almost every tool that exists, because there are some tools you will only need once in your lifetime, and it doesn't make sense to own it.

3) Autozone and Advance Auto will also provide a free scan of your car if it is showing a warning light on the dash. It will narrow down what area is causing the code to be thrown and then you will know where to begin.

4) The internet is a HUGE resource for information. Whenever I have something going on with a car, and am not familiar with that area, I turn to the internet. You can also go on YouTube and find a video or two on every repair you are going to make. I use YouTube for everything I am doing , from fixing stuff to cooking dinner.

5) Know your limitations. I build cars, but sometimes I take my family car to a local shop because I am an old school hot rodder and things like fuel injection, computers, and sensors are over my head. On some repairs, you really can't do anything without very expensive diagnostic equipment, not something we at home generally have.

6) A Chlltons or similar shop manual for your specific car can be a great help, and are available at most auto parts stores. They are not nearly as good as the expensive shop manuals put out by GM, Ford, etc for their own cars, but for about $20 or so, they will get you through most jobs.

Tools to own:

You DO NOT NEED PROFESSIONAL GRADE TOOLS to do most home repairs. I have a lot of expensive SnapOn, MAC, MATCO, etc tools in my shop, but the average home tinkerer doesn't need those for the occasional jobs they will be doing. Sears sells some very nice tool sets that come in a plastic case, and they will do most anything you need to do. Other places are Lowes (their Kolbalt tools are actually not bad at all and reasonable) and even Harbor Freight.

Ok, let's talk about Harbor Freight. A lot of car nuts scoff at Harbor Freight and say they sell Chinese crap...........and I will admit SOME of their stuff is junk, but not ALL OF IT. You have to pick and choose. For example, I have a $ 300 Craftsman floor jack that failed after one year and Sears would not stand behind it. However, I have two Harbor Freight floor jacks that were under $100 each, and they work great and have lasted for years. For a lot of tools and a lot of hobbyists, HF is a great source for tools.

What kind of tools do I need?

A good, basic tools set will contain socket sets in 1/4 inch drive and 3/8 inch drive sizes, and will include a complete assortment of sockets in both metric and sae sizes. It will also have extensions to enable you to reach into tight spots, and a U joint to let the socket angle to reach into strange spots. Socket sets also come in 1/2 inch drive sizes, and larger, but, for most basic repairs, a 3/8 set will do the job.

It will also contain a complete set of metric and sae combination wrenches (open end on one side and box end on the other), a couple of sizes of flat bladed screw drivers and a couple of sizes of Phillips screw drivers.

Those would be the most basic needs. Beyond that, you should have a Cresent (adjustable wrench), a good pair of Vice Grip brand vice grips ( most knock offs suck) and some various pliers, like needle nose, and side cuts (to cut wiring and things like that). Also, a medium size ball peen hammer (don't use a claw hammer to work on a car, people will know you are a beginner ! ) Other nice tools to have would be a set of Allen wrenches (hex head),

Something I have come to love is the headlight I bought......it is one of those LED flashlights that has a strap to hold it on your head (like a sweat band) and you can aim it at the work you are doing without holding a light. The first time I saw my Son with his I laughed, until I tried it and it sure makes things a lot easier.

Safety:

This is a biggie, and something not to be taken lightly. If you are going to be doing ANY work under or near a jacked up car, you need to block the car up correctly. A set of heavy duty jack stands MUST be placed under the frame to make it safe enough to climb under there.......even to change the oil. I have a bunch of them, mostly from Harbor Freight, and they are fine, but I also keep the floor jack under the car at the same time just to be safe. MAKE SURE THE CAR IS ON A LEVEL, HARD SURFACE SO THE JACK STANDS DON'T KICK OUT OR FALL ! Put the car in park and also apply the emergency brake. Before you climb under, grab the car and try shaking it to make sure it is securely supported. Have someone else near by in case the worst should happen and you need help.

It is also a good idea to have a fire extinquisher nearby if you are doing a lot of jobs.........one has save me more than once !

Where to get started:

For the purposes of this discussion, we are assuming you know little or nothing at all about fixing your own car, so don't jump right in and do a brake job. Start small. Learn to check the fluid levels.....then maybe move up to changing your own oil. You can also do minor tune ups (cars today are pretty much limited to just changing spark plugs, and even those last a very long time now). Change burned out light bulbs, and do other repairs like that to give you more confidence to move onto other tasks.

Why even do this at all ?

Because it can be fun and very satisfying. There is something about dragging out your toolbox on a Saturday morning and the sense of accomplishment when it actually works when you are done. Is it for everyone ? Nope, and some people are just better off taking their car to a professional. But you just might learn something and save a few bucks along the way.

I hope some others join in with suggestions and questions about this subject.

Don

Last edited by don1945; 01-29-2016 at 08:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 09:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,016,805 times
For bigger jobs it helps to have a spacious garage.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:51 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,008,861 times
Some people can't even change a flat tire because they don't know where the jack is located or how to use it. Anyone that wants to start doing their own maintenance/repair should learn the basics of what makes a vehicle operate. Go to a book store or auto parts store to see if a vehicle specific book is available for what you own. If none available, search for the book on the web or the procedure you want to do. You will find that a pre 87ish car is easier to diagnose a problem and fix than something newer with a computer and complicated fuel injection system. If a newer car, you will need a code reader to diagnose engine problems. They cost less than $150 which you will get back doing your first repair.
Repairing/replacing things on a car is easy if you are mechanically inclined. If replacing an oil filter is a challenge, you've got some learning to do.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:59 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,431,575 times
Thanks Don! Great write up.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:56 PM

14 posts, read 19,812 times
Good post. The tool I love the most in my garage isn't even really a tool but a long steel pipe. I don't have air tools but you won't believe how many tight bolts & stuck lug nuts I've gotten off with that thing. By just slipping the pipe over a simple ratchet, you get a dramatic increase in torque. I think it was Archimedes who said something to the effect of, "Give me enough leverage and I can move the world."

Old 01-30-2016, 05:26 PM

13,574 posts, read 9,590,473 times
The principal barrier for beginner is psychological.

For some people, working on cars is dirty (literally and figuratively), lower-class. Note that for some reason the "nicer" suburban areas have plenty of Lowes and Home Depots, but the auto-parts stores tend to be in the second-rate areas. Why? Evidently, working on one's house is honorable and prestigious, while working on one's car is deemed (by some) to be neither.

For others, cars are overwhelming. What happens if the warranty is voided? What if the dealer insists on a specific repair, at a specific maintenance-cycle? What if a loosened bolt is dropped into some crevice, or down the oil-filler neck? What if a plastic connector busts, causing a short? What if, what if....

Don's point is well taken. Even basic auto mechanics is becoming a lost art, widely disregarded and held in contempt by the digital generation. Perhaps a more social approach is best? Join a local enthusiast club, go to a car-show, interact with the car-savvy...?

Old 01-30-2016, 05:47 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,705,413 times
I think there are a lot of reasons the "Saturday Driveway Mechanics" are dying out. First of all, cars today are way more complicated than in the past.......there are certain jobs I pass on. Secondly, a lot of communities frown on you working on your own car in your own garage or driveway. I lived in a very code enforced town at one time, and the cops were always at my door because my Sons and I were building them cars in our own garage. Neighbors love to turn in people for that kind of stuff any more.

I started this thread because I have seen posts on here from people who want to do some simple things but don't know where to begin. That is where we, who have experience, can at least give them the basics to start. And working with hand tools is a handy skill to have. My own two Sons grew up handing me wrenches when they were little, and now they are the ones I run to when I need help or advice.

Don

Old 01-30-2016, 06:10 PM

3,904 posts, read 5,127,316 times
Google and YouTube are your friends.

If you have any question, chances are you can get answers online. Google will lead you to vehicle forums, videos, even retailers selling the parts.

There are plenty of good YouTube channels about auto repair. Eric the Car Guy is my favorite. Scotty Kilmer, A1 Auto Parts and Chris Fix are other good advice channels.

Even if you decide to pay to get the repair done, you'll know what's involved and will know if the shop is trying to rip you off.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:53 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,008,861 times
Even if you are skittish about doing your own repairs, it's good to have a code reader. This way you know the exact problem and won't be charged hundreds of dollars for a part the engine doesn't need when it's only a $35 water temp sensor.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:51 PM

7,727 posts, read 6,284,090 times
Two of the handiest tools that I have are an inspection mirror which enables you to see around corners, and a magnet with an extension handle to pick up the tools and parts that you will drop.

I knew a man who was killed under a vehicle when the jack failed. Dead is permanent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive