U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2008, 04:50 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,850,605 times

Advertisements

Ok, so yesterday I was coming out of the drugstore, and I saw this in the parking lot:

http://car-news.roadfly.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/2007-kia-amanti.jpg (broken link)

Now I thought for sure it was a new Benz; but thought it was weird that there was no emblem in the front. Then I saw the wheels....KIA?!?!?!?!

(Now I know that Hyundai & Kia are "affiliated" somehow...but I'm not sure in what way...)

Uh-oh, the Japanese better watch out!

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-20-2008 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: copyright issues transferring photo ...use link instead
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 05:24 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,825,558 times
The affiliation is this: Hyundai owns Kia outright. And that is one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen, precisely because it's not only such a blatant M-B ripoff but a cartoonish one at that. Asian carmakers have been borrowing design elements from American and (more recently) European designs since at least the end of WWII, but this one is such a farce that i can barely keep a straight face looking at it.

Fortunately they've managed to recruit some actual talent into their design studios since then. The forthcoming new Hyundai Genesis is a pretty sharp sedan even if they borrow (tastefully this time) from the Lexus IS and the Nissan Maxima. It also promises to be an asskicker of a car too, some 375HP. Kia is supposedly getting its own version too. The Genesis Coupe (probably replacing the Tiburon) looks even better.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The affiliation is this: Hyundai owns Kia outright. And that is one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen, precisely because it's not only such a blatant M-B ripoff but a cartoonish one at that.
Well I have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. I personally have a long list of cars that are "uglier" than this one -- including (but certainly not limited to) the Pontiac Aztec, the Ford Aspire, the Honda Element, that Toyota FJ Cruiser, hahaha, the PT Cruiser, the Scion XB/XD, the Smart car, etc. etc.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:30 AM

2,073 posts, read 4,851,581 times
LOL the Kia Amani or whatever that barge is called is soooo generic and tacky! I wouldn't even buy it if it was a "real" lux car.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love what Kia/Hyundai have been doing in the past 5-6 years, but this thing makes me laugh whenever I see it driving down the road. I guess I never thought of someone finding it impressive though, to each is own I guess.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post

Now, don't get me wrong, I love what Kia/Hyundai have been doing in the past 5-6 years, but this thing makes me laugh whenever I see it driving down the road. I guess I never thought of someone finding it impressive though, to each is own I guess.
Oh just to clarify...I would not say that I am impressed with the car in comparison to all automobiles in general. It's just that the last time I saw a Kia (where I distinctly said, "Oh that's a Kia"), they looked like P.O.S.s -- somewhere a step above Daewoos. All I'm saying is that they have moved up -- in comparison to where they were -- appearance-wise.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:16 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,886,806 times
Sorry, but my military background always makes me think of the abbreviation for "Killed in Action" (KIA) when I see the car with that name. Probably shouldn't but I do...

Old 02-08-2008, 10:56 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,254,939 times
UGH! When I first saw that thing on the road, "WTH!". The front end actually is trying to look like a Bentley. YEAH RIGHT!
Bentley Motors: Bentley Motors Website

They are UGLY. Besides, I REFUSE to buy ANYTHING from anyone that has to scream as loud as they can on their commercials. And that other one they have w/ the dude doing the striper-like dance, GROSS! NO THANK YOU!

Someone was telling us they were looking for a cheap knock-around car and went to visit the Kia dealership based on what their ad said to get this car for $6K. So he went and the car for $6K had NO AIR CONDITIONING (hello, we are IN Texas), manual transmission, no power windows or door locks. It was basically a shell of a car w/ a steering wheel. Don't go for trickery in advertising either.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:07 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,453,134 times
I bought a Kia Sorento in May and I LOVE it! I got a lot more car for my money than had I bought a 4 Runner or Pilot and it runs great! My husband didn't want to look at them b/c of the "old" stereotype but once he saw them, he loved them too! Not everyone wants to spend tons of money on a name to drive and Kia gives a very viable option for attractive vehicles at reasonable prices.

BTW, anyone who really believes they can buy a BRAND NEW vehicle in the year 2008 for $6000 is an idiot. If we all believed every ad we heard or saw, we'd think drinking certain sodas could make us look like a supermodel. Yeah right.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:10 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,699,111 times
I could never drive a KIA because I just can't get past the name.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:25 AM

10,425 posts, read 43,531,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I bought a Kia Sorento in May and I LOVE it! I got a lot more car for my money than had I bought a 4 Runner or Pilot and it runs great! My husband didn't want to look at them b/c of the "old" stereotype but once he saw them, he loved them too! Not everyone wants to spend tons of money on a name to drive and Kia gives a very viable option for attractive vehicles at reasonable prices.

BTW, anyone who really believes they can buy a BRAND NEW vehicle in the year 2008 for $6000 is an idiot. If we all believed every ad we heard or saw, we'd think drinking certain sodas could make us look like a supermodel. Yeah right.
You might be bragging how cheap that junk box is but like anything in life, you get what you pay for. I personally feel my life is too valuble to take chances driving that dangerous junk box.

Using your theory......those new Chinese junk boxes now for sale in most Walmarts for $2995.00 should be a good buy?

I would fear being next to one of those little death mobiles just as much as I would driving next to an 18 wheeler. The only difference is the 18 wheeler could kill me but if any unforseen incident happened in front of me and I hit one of those little tin can junk boxes then I would be responsible for a death.

But........as long as people see no problem supporting China by shopping Walmart then I dont see any reason why they shoiuld feel bad for buying Korean either.

Anyway...Girl I wish you safe travels. Be carefull with that thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive