U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:38 AM

19,556 posts, read 11,821,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Yeah but lets face it, a Corvette ain't exactly an everyday car. An Evo is an: 'all the time' car, not just: 'when conditions are good' car.

And a used Evo could be had for 16k
Okay from a quick read, the EVO Lancer is uncomfortable for long trips and insurance premiums are high for thos eit is aimed at...

If you can buy a late model EVO for $16,000 that means new buyers take an incredible hit...half the value in a couple of years??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post

And Im curious, besides the Vette and Viper, what American "performance" car looks sleek and sexy?
I don't find many cars built here or elsewhere sleek or sexy,most are rathe runinspiring unless you get to ultra exotics(even regular exotics aren't that exciting anymore)

Also I do not consider the Viper sleek OR sexy,it is brutish and overwhelming.
But it was meant to look that way.
The C6 is I guess although I do not like the front end.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:47 AM

19,238 posts, read 50,162,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I don't find many cars built here or elsewhere sleek or sexy,most are rathe runinspiring unless you get to ultra exotics(even regular exotics aren't that exciting anymore)

Also I do not consider the Viper sleek OR sexy,it is brutish and overwhelming.
But it was meant to look that way.
The C6 is I guess although I do not like the front end.
Im glad you explained, because I cant think of a single American "performance" car that is sexy either. I like the Z06 and the 2002 Viper GTS, but theyre not really that good looking. I find several Japanese performance cars to be quite nice looking on the other hand.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:47 AM

36,168 posts, read 56,171,616 times
Quote:
Okay from a quick read, the EVO Lancer is uncomfortable for long trips and insurance premiums are high for thos eit is aimed at...

If you can buy a late model EVO for $16,000 that means new buyers take an incredible hit...half the value in a couple of years??
First, it's not "a couple of years." It's now almost six model years since the Evo first hit the market. Second, it's not necessarily "half" either. A stripper Evo could be had for just over 25 grand. If you think an Evo loses "half its value in a couple of years," then shop around for what a used 2006 Evo costs.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:54 AM

2,656 posts, read 3,584,357 times
Quote:

Uncomfortable for long trips...maybe. But a long trip in a 'Vette almost shouldn't be considered.

More than likely, what newer Evo buyers will pay for in insurance, they'll make up for by having daily commuter/rally-bred characteristics in one car, whereas, if you own a Corvette, chances are you have another car as your daily driver. The Evo is more an all-around car, a Corvette as almost strictly performance. It's a 2-seater for cryin' out loud

I don't know where you got 'half value in a couple of years' from being that the Evo debuted Stateside in '03.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
First, it's not "a couple of years." It's now almost six model years since the Evo first hit the market. Second, it's not necessarily "half" either. A stripper Evo could be had for just over 25 grand. If you think an Evo loses "half its value in a couple of years," then shop around for what a used 2006 Evo costs.
Sorry the only EVO I was using in comparisons was the 2006 model...

I don't really want to shop around,they are fugly little things...quick certainly but hideous.

And if the people who DO like them don't mind, good for them.

I found this website:http:
//www.modernracer.com/archives.html

And have been using the pros and cons list by the way.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Im glad you explained, because I cant think of a single American "performance" car that is sexy either. I like the Z06 and the 2002 Viper GTS, but theyre not really that good looking. I find several Japanese performance cars to be quite nice looking on the other hand.
I disliked the C5 Z06 due to the body style,I much prefer the 'regular' coupe and could even perhaps like the vert as well...

I am of an age when supercars LOOKED like supercars,today they just don't have the visual appeal.

Here is an old Japanese car I liked,the Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4....

Old 02-19-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Uncomfortable for long trips...maybe. But a long trip in a 'Vette almost shouldn't be considered.

More than likely, what newer Evo buyers will pay for in insurance, they'll make up for by having daily commuter/rally-bred characteristics in one car, whereas, if you own a Corvette, chances are you have another car as your daily driver. The Evo is more an all-around car, a Corvette as almost strictly performance. It's a 2-seater for cryin' out loud

I don't know where you got 'half value in a couple of years' from being that the Evo debuted Stateside in '03.
I couldn't say,but tires make a BIG difference to the comfort level.

Y'all must be spoiled or something....

My daily 'driver' in all weather conditions was a sportbike,try THAT when grocery shopping...

Old 02-19-2008, 12:10 PM

From the website I posted:
2006 Lancer EVO.

Base price : $34,199
Top speed : 156 mph(electronically limited)
0-60 mph : 4.4 sec.
0- mile : 12.9 sec @ 106.2 mph
60-0 braking distance : 110 ft
200 ft skidpad : 0.98 g

2006 GTO.

Base price : $32,495
Top speed : 175 mph(est.)
0-60 mph : 4.6 sec.(manual est.)
0- mile : 13.5 sec @ 106.0 mph(manual est.)
60-0 braking distance : 125 ft
200 ft skidpad : 0.85 g

Old 02-19-2008, 12:19 PM

19,238 posts, read 50,162,331 times
Quote:
Sorry the only EVO I was using in comparisons was the 2006 model...

I don't really want to shop around,they are fugly little things...quick certainly but hideous
I wouldnt call them "hideous" or "fugly" by any means.
http://www.carsplusplus.com/pictures...5790/photo.jpg

Now THESE are hideous/fugly!
http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdr...endezvous2.jpg

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/P.../LeftFront.jpg

And if you like the C5 Corvette so much, check out the FD RX-7, who the Corvette designers absolutely ripped off the front end from.

C5 Corvette:
http://www.autobytel.com/images/carPics/TestDrv/Lyons/ChevyCorvette/2003_Corvette_front1_700w.JPG (broken link)

Hmmm, I wonder what car the Vette designers studied real hard and long when they designed the C5?
http://www.racingbeat.com/gallery/RB%20FD.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive