Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 01:58 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,812 times

Advertisements

Agree with most points by DelightfulNYC. I typically keep my vehicles for ~10 years so durability and inexpensive maintenance and are very important; so are safety and comfort. I spent a good 6 months justifying another vehicle over a minivan but all answers led to a minivan. Sliding doors, huge cargo space for strollers/sports equipment/etc., legroom in third row for friends/in-laws, etc., ample room for carpools, etc. We test drove a bunch of minivans and concluded Sienna and Odyssey were the best options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 02:37 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
If you want a third row that is going to be comfortable AND have decent cargo space behind it, the only options are a full size SUV (Suburban, Expedition L, Sequoia, etc) or a minivan.

SUVs are going to have higher overhead costs, but are more durable and will last longer, their powertrains are pretty much bulletproof. They also are much more capable off-road and on rough roads and can tow more easily. They will also keep their resale value much better.

Minivans are cheaper overhead, but not as durable. The vast majority are 2WD only. They do not retain their value as well. Their transaxles are stressed as it is, regularly towing significant loads with one is not advised.

As for fuel economy, in the real world they will do about the same in the city, 14-16 mpg or so. On the highway, minvans will come out slightly ahead, but the difference will probably amount to $200-300 or so per year, so don't let that be a huge deciding factor.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:02 AM

741 posts, read 1,751,487 times
For more update and background, I have not purchased the 'family' vehicle yet. I already have a 18 year old sedan that we are currently using. While this sedan is comfortable/reliable, I am not using/do not want to use it for long trips.

My wife is insisting that we buy this new 'family' vehicle asap. This vehicle will also help my wife to travel (to work in the future, buy groceries, take children to day care etc.,) without depending on me. Also she is not in-favor of another sedan and if not 7 seater, she is insisting that we buy at least 5 seater that would hold 2 seat stroller, 2 suitcases and more space for the long trips (say once or twice a month).

Considering the tight financial situation, I am considering used vehicle as an option that is reliable for long trips, without causing maintenance headaches.

I am thinking to go with used Toyota or Honda or other maintenance friendly vehicle (in any of the categories: Minivan, Crossovers, SUVs, Wagons that have better cargo space).

I am also confused on if buying a new vehicle in the above criteria would be a good option by using the money to be spent for the used vehicle as down-payment for the new vehicle, with the rest to be covered by the monthly installments.

Please advise.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:41 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,452 times
It is not about the number of kids you have but the bulk of luggage/s you need when you take them for a long trip. I have a double stroller and that itself covered the entire cargo space

I have 2014 Buick Enclave and I have 4 kids, the youngest is 1 year old.

Why Enclave?
- I like that captain seats on the second row, there is an isle should one need to sit on the 3rd row. I hate flipping seat as I have to remove the car seat.
- It has the biggest cargo space compared to its competitor i.e. Pilot, Highlander, Pathfinder, Explorer.
- I like the technology that comes with it for enhanced safety, the lane departure warning, forward collision alert and blind spot detection etc...we all want to be safe.
- I like the fact that it is AWD since we were planning to drive long trips, with varying road conditions.
- I've driven many middle class cars and nothing beats the handling of Enclave. I feel like I'm just driving a sedan.

What I don't like?
- it is pricey.
- not so good mpg

If I were you OP, i would get that 7-seater car like Pathfinder, Explorer, Dodge Journey. Fold the 3rd row seat and you can put whatever you want. Those long trips? Like how frequent will you go for long trips? I sometimes regret buying that more expensive Enclave, I should just bought a cheaper one and just rent a car for occasional long trips.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:03 PM

125 posts, read 212,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
Considering the tight financial situation
Please advise.
Ok, how tight? This makes a HUGE difference to what anyone would advise. Also, what part of the country will you drive in? The most scared I've been as a passenger was in a Dodge Caravan in downtown Philly

Let me give you what I think so far:

Requirements: Two-seat stroller, (which to me also means at least two jet-fighter-ejection-seat baby seats) plus luggage.
Answer:
1 - Van. (I have four kids, I know of which I speak). If you buy the GM SUV's, or Ford or Mazda SUV like a CX (I owned one when surprise baby 4 came up) you will notice that they are egg-shaped. This egg shape is great for aero, but creates a problem in the shape of the doors. In tight parking spots (aren't they ALL?) your wife will not be able to get the door open well enough to get the seat, baby, diaper bag, and shopping into the vehicle. This is a fact. Sliding doors FIX this problem completely, plus the van is lower to the ground if your wife is petite. Not all women like doing crossfit-style exercises every time they leave the school/store/mall/work.
2 - Van. Do this for me...go to a CarMax-type place that has lots of vehicles. Ask to look at a few SUVs (with a 3rd row) and Vans. Measure (visual is ok) how much room is behind the 3rd row when it's not folded down. You will notice most SUVs, even big guys like Tahoe and Expedition, have NO room left when the 3rd row is up. This means the stroller goes on the roof on your monthly trips. Did it. This SUCKS. My van has carried a full-size fluffy new couch. Inside. Doors closed. The furniture guys didn't believe it and kept walking around it in circles.

Requirement: Maintenance-free and cost effective
Answer:
1 - Honda or Toyota. Quibble all you want, but especially if its your kids on the highway and your money, there's no question. Pilot and Highlander qualify here, but the resale is nuts, as no one wants the "stigma" of a van except those of us in the club. As the saying goes for price "hit 'em where they 'ain't". An SUV used will cost more than a van used due to demand. When I went from older SUV to new van, my car insurance DROPPED. You read that correctly.
2 - Mileage: Yes, gas is cheap now, but what if it doesn't stay there? The Odyssey has cylinder deactivation, and on the highway can occasionally get 27 mpg (I've done it, and had to use my phone calculator to verify it as I hardly believed it), no hybrid batteries or hypermiling or anything required. I don't believe a gas SUV of similar size could even touch that mileage. Also, it will do near 500 miles between fill ups. This rules late at night with sleeping kids.
3 - Bonus: They appear invisible to police. I got pulled over in the SUV more than once, in the van, never. 80 mph all day at 25 mpg and up. It eats time and distance better than about anything stuck to the ground.

Question: New or used?
Answer:
1 - For me, I leased new. They last forever, and a three year lease for us allowed cheap payments, leather (with kids you WANT spill-proof) and the DVD screen. GET the DVD screen.
2 - As far as resale, they keep lease residuals high, so the payments are smaller. If you truly love it, get a three year or four year note at the end of the lease. No, you don't want 7 years of payments on a Fiat, but these two will be bank-vault solid. Also, if you have to give it up in three years, you won't have to sell it privately.

Down-sides? The van isn't sexy. They are a touch hard to park, but the SUV isn't any better. Plus...camera out the back.

If you want, keep a beater Miata for when you NEED to drive in a fun way, but being sexy just got you kids, right? Get the van with leather. They're like ground-bound Lear jets. The Odyssey console and "magic seat" are removable, you can walk to the third row if you need to. Get the slush-proof mats and Cheerio cleanup is an easy shop-vac job. The doors slide open remotely, as well as the lift-gate. This is what you need.

As you probably guessed, I have a 2014 EX-L Odyssey, and it just works. I still miss my V6 muscle-Mazda CX-9, but I have to admit the van does the job better than any vehicle I've ever owned. Yes, I'm invisible to women, but I don't think an Escalade would even change that now anyway .

Old 08-31-2016, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllyam View Post
Ok, how tight? This makes a HUGE difference to what anyone would advise. Also, what part of the country will you drive in? The most scared I've been as a passenger was in a Dodge Caravan in downtown Philly

Upfront I am ok to shell out up to $15K and really do not want any additional monthly payments...

Most of the travel will be in South Eastern US [SC, NC, GA,FL, TN], with possible travel (say once in 2 months) up as north as to DC area

Old 08-31-2016, 04:36 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,257 times
I love my Nissan Quest van. It drives/rides like a limo. Expecting to buy the Odyssey......I test drove it after trying all of the other vans....and never looked back! I enjoy every mike driving it.

Mae

Old 08-31-2016, 06:57 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
Upfront I am ok to shell out up to $15K and really do not want any additional monthly payments...

Most of the travel will be in South Eastern US [SC, NC, GA,FL, TN], with possible travel (say once in 2 months) up as north as to DC area
Then I would buy a used Honda or Toyota minivan and be done with it. You can easily find a good one for $15k and, based on my many friend's experience, they will run forever if properly maintained.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:51 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Full sized van is the best option. Minivans are cramped and have little storage. They are little more than a reconfigured sedan. Especially newer ones that ar made to look more sleek and sporty (lower).

Even if you do not have more kids, you will be driving their friends along with your own.

Ever since we discovered full sized vans, I have not understood why anything else is even considered an option for families.

Oh and BTW, for long trips (or short) a full sized conversion van is far more comfortable than even the most expensive luxury cars. The seat height and space simply cannot be matched in a sedan or minivan no matter how much you spend.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Then I would buy a used Honda or Toyota minivan and be done with it. You can easily find a good one for $15k and, based on my many friend's experience, they will run forever if properly maintained.
I am hoping if I can get a Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey minivan or a reliable similar vehicle that is manufactured 2010 and after, with less than 75000 miles with power sliding doors and preferably leather, for $15K and below... However, I am having hard time finding it.
Closest I found so far is
Honda Odyssey EX-L 2007 model, 79000 miles, $12.5K from a private party
Honda Odyssey Touring 2010 model, 100,050 miles, $13K from a local dealer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive