Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 12:54 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
One thing to consider is that once you start applying some of these high gloss tire dressings to the tires, they will begin to turn brown over time.

I've found that what works for me is a tire dressing with a low VOC and a matte finish. Much cleaner look that doesn't sling off on paint and won't discolor the tire.
The Turtle Wax Endura shine I linked does not turn brown

It really is a different kind of product. Just read the long thread I linked on AutoGeek. Those guys are all about car detailing and many are very impressed with this product. And these are the type of people who hate anything off the shelf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 01:22 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
One thing to consider is that once you start applying some of these high gloss tire dressings to the tires, they will begin to turn brown over time.

I've found that what works for me is a tire dressing with a low VOC and a matte finish. Much cleaner look that doesn't sling off on paint and won't discolor the tire.
I think the discoloring isn't so much the tire shine, it is just the tire shine makes the tire a bit tacky to the touch which causes all the road dirt and grime to stick to the tire causing it to turn brown.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:26 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
There are actually a couple of reasons for the discoloration. Blooming is part of the reason tires turn brown while the other part of the equation is using a tacky dressing that holds dirt.

If you keep your tires clean and use a water based dressing that is low in silicone content the issue will be minimalized. A good water based dressing will add a layer of protection between the surface of the tire and the air it comes into contact with. It will also reduce the debris that sticks to the tire so the brown won't be nearly as much of an issue. The really shiny silicone based dressings do nothing to protect the tire and actually help accelerate the necessity to re-clean and redress the tires. And since it's sticky, you'll find it more difficult to remove the old dressing when it is time to reapply.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:27 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,141,570 times
I use to like putting on tire dressing, but after a few years I hated the shiny unnatural look. Now I just clean my tires and leave them alone.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:13 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
I used to use it as well but have changed to thinking it looks good on someone elses truck. It seems the majority of it gets flung up the sides of the truck and really looks like arse! I had it looking good too as I had the new tires all shined up and got the black restore for all the black plastic trim then I went to the store and the tire shine was splattered all over the truck. That night it rained a tad and all the black restore on all the plastic ran down the sides. Good thing for a fresh wax job but never again will I use any of that crap!. Fine for show if its being pushed off a trailer but the real world? forget it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive