Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 05:06 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
And I am guilty of "mild" tailgating. I guess it's my way of communicating to the tailgated that they need to stop holding up traffic and take the proper lane.
Define: Holding up traffic.

If I'm doing 10 over on a 2 lane highway and continuously passing others on the right lane, I could care less if you're behind me. I'm only going to move over to the right lane when there's enough space for me to do so without slowing down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 05:13 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,589,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I agree that there are dumb truckers.

Trucks that are speed governed have no business trying to pass a slower vehicle unless they can complete the pass and return to the right lane.

And I am guilty of "mild" tailgating. I guess it's my way of communicating to the tailgated that they need to stop holding up traffic and take the proper lane.
Slowing down 80,000 pounds because a car is going too slow in front of them is not ideal. It wears out the brakes and depending on the grade of the road will slow the truck down a lot because he has to downshift instead of passing and keeping consistent speed. It also helps with fuel economy not to downshift a lot.

The truck took the proper lane because he is working not just driving to the mall like you were

Old 03-20-2016, 05:17 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
If the truck driver has those spikes sticking out of his front lugs, I think you can cut them off and do whatever you want to them. If they are a-holes enough to have those things, they can stick it. Talk about ridiculous, selfish and dangerous. It I get hit by one of those someday, I will have a HUGE team of attorneys and won't even care if I get a dime, so long as they pay with everything they got.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:17 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
I own a trucking company and you would not believe what my drivers tolerate, it is amazing and we haul all hazardous materials, some that can kill you with one slight breath.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I own a trucking company and you would not believe what my drivers tolerate, it is amazing and we haul all hazardous materials, some that can kill you with one slight breath.
I believe it. Honestly i think a lot of it has to do with some peoples perception of truck drivers that they are uneducated/druggies/criminals etcc.. but little do they know people leave long careers in white collar industries to come into trucking. And lots of truck drivers make more in a year then a lot of people with college degrees. It's an insecurity to them and they try to take it out on the road by pulling reckless moves.

I can picture some of these people literally saying in the car "look at this f'in truck" and completely going ballistic in their seat and cutting off the truck. Just looking at the truck itself enrages these people.

Maybe all the truck drivers should quit and do something else and give them their wish of getting rid of trucks. Now they can grow all their own food and wipe their arses with leaves and build their homes out of logs with an axe they made from stones on the property....LOL Oh and say bye bye to the internet and every modern amenity and necessity that exists.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:28 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,129 times
I don't cut off trucks in the sense that they have to slam on the brakes because I've moved over, but if there's an opening to get in front of one of those things, I'll take it at the first opportunity.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:36 PM

[quote=LeagleEagleDFW;43426069]I don't cut off trucks in the sense that they have to slam on the brakes because I've moved over, but if there's an opening to get in front of one of those things, I'll take it at the first opportunity.[/quote]
You do realize some of those openings are not made just for you to put yourself in it right? There is a reason truckers leave that open space. Amazingly enough it is for the safety of those who place themselves in those openings as well as the truck drivers safety.
It is also people with your attitude who do cause a lot of issues, accidents and other safety related problems on the road with everyone, not just trucks.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:39 PM

I will admit what I do enjoy the most are those phone calls telling me that my driver was *in the way* when they are delivering gasoline to a customer. My response is *How do you think that gasoline gets in those tanks so you can put it in your vehicle?*. Once I explain that the line does not go directly to the station from the refinery and the gasoline tanks at the station don't magically refill themselves the phone call ends.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:41 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,129 times
[quote=CSD610;43426151]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I don't cut off trucks in the sense that they have to slam on the brakes because I've moved over, but if there's an opening to get in front of one of those things, I'll take it at the first opportunity.[/quote]
You do realize some of those openings are not made just for you to put yourself in it right? There is a reason truckers leave that open space. Amazingly enough it is for the safety of those who place themselves in those openings as well as the truck drivers safety.
It is also people with your attitude who do cause a lot of issues, accidents and other safety related problems on the road with everyone, not just trucks.
If trucks would get out of the way, people wouldn't have to get in front of them. But every single day, the vast majority of truckers I see are clogging the passing lanes, 2 or 3 abreast at stoplights, taking up entire stretches of roadways trying to maneuver....the list goes on. Zero sympathy from me. If I had my way, trucks would be 100% restricted from public roadways during peak traffic times.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:52 PM

[quote=LeagleEagleDFW;43426215]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

If trucks would get out of the way, people wouldn't have to get in front of them. But every single day, the vast majority of truckers I see are clogging the passing lanes, 2 or 3 abreast at stoplights, taking up entire stretches of roadways trying to maneuver....the list goes on. Zero sympathy from me. If I had my way, trucks would be 100% restricted from public roadways during peak traffic times.
And they are thinking the same thing about cars. Every truck you see driving on the road is guaranteed on the clock working and that can't be said for cars. A mass amount of cars on the road are just dilly dallying going shopping or to grandmas house or whatever and a lot of people are going to work too. But EVERY truck on the road is on the clock working.

Your idea of restricting trucks to certain hours will simply delay and slow the movement of goods and will never happen. It's a 24/7 economy that never sleeps for people exactly like you...the impatient ones that need stores open 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive