Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 09:09 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
...change the playlist you are listening to? PULL OVER!
Really? Did you pull over the last time you changed the song on your ELECTRONIC radio?

Old 03-29-2016, 11:10 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,183,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Really? Did you pull over the last time you changed the song on your ELECTRONIC radio?
Your car radio is in your lap?

Old 03-30-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post

Sure I could put the XM receiver on my lap or hold it, but why would I? Sure I could put a smart phone on my lap or hold it, but why would I? Both are completely useless unless they are electrically connected to the vehicle, both are portable, both *can* be held, both manage and play music in similar fashions. Why is it such an outrage on this thread to use one over the other when in the context of the original post, they are being used for identical purposes?

Old 03-30-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Sure I could put the XM receiver on my lap or hold it, but why would I? Sure I could put a smart phone on my lap or hold it, but why would I? Both are completely useless unless they are electrically connected to the vehicle, both are portable, both *can* be held, both manage and play music in similar fashions. Why is it such an outrage on this thread to use one over the other when in the context of the original post, they are being used for identical purposes?
Looking at anything in your lap while driving is equally outrageous.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
But it is ok to look at climate controls? On some vehicles these are located at the bottom of the console and completely eliminates peripheral vision of the road. I don't think I have ever heard any of the self-righteous armchair police in this thread ever complain about that or likewise seen a thread on such a topic. How outrageous it is to adjust the heat!

What about smokers? Again, the ashtray is typically located at the bottom of consoles requiring sight to be completely removed from the road in order to ash or snuff out the cigarette.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:49 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Looking in the mirror takes your eyes off the road ahead and you should be looking in all your mirrors fairly often. Looking over your shoulder to change lanes takes your eyes off the road ahead. Why isn't that an outrage? Because you looked ahead first and made sure there was enough time to look away from the road ahead of you safely? Same with changing a song. It takes very little time and you can look ahead and to the sides first and make sure that there's enough time to do so, same as looking over your shoulder. Or same as looking down at center console mounted gauges:

We've gotten so adamant about demonizing phones that we have gone overboard in overreacting to things like changing a song.

"OMG! Glancing away from the road ahead for ANY reason and ANY amount of time is going to kill everyone!"

Knock it off, people.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:07 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But it is ok to look at climate controls? On some vehicles these are located at the bottom of the console and completely eliminates peripheral vision of the road. I don't think I have ever heard any of the self-righteous armchair police in this thread ever complain about that or likewise seen a thread on such a topic. How outrageous it is to adjust the heat!

What about smokers? Again, the ashtray is typically located at the bottom of consoles requiring sight to be completely removed from the road in order to ash or snuff out the cigarette.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Looking in the mirror takes your eyes off the road ahead and you should be looking in all your mirrors fairly often. Looking over your shoulder to change lanes takes your eyes off the road ahead. Why isn't that an outrage? Because you looked ahead first and made sure there was enough time to look away from the road ahead of you safely? Same with changing a song. It takes very little time and you can look ahead and to the sides first and make sure that there's enough time to do so, same as looking over your shoulder. Or same as looking down at center console mounted gauges:

We've gotten so adamant about demonizing phones that we have gone overboard in overreacting to things like changing a song.

"OMG! Glancing away from the road ahead for ANY reason and ANY amount of time is going to kill everyone!"

Knock it off, people.
Finally an outburst of common sense. I am going to rep all these posts. Normally I post my name with the rep but this post is public enough "thanks." These laws are essentially the spawn of political correctness run amok. Someone somewhere has no doubt died or been badly hurt in an accident relating to distraction while using a cell phone. All of the 12 year olds dressed up in adult bodies wanting to seem so mature and profound, sitting in the legislature, panic and decide that they have to "do something" about the "carnage." Thus are these laws passed.

Ditto reduction of speed limits from 40 to 35 when someone gets killed going 90 in that 40 zone. Happened in my town.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post

Knock it off, people.
The mirrors are located where you can glance at them in a split second while not taking your attention off the road. Gauges are still in front of you, not in your lap. None of these require you to turn your head completely away from the road in front of you and they require less cognitive time to process the information they provide. You might think it takes the same amount of time to look down at your phone and change a song. It doesn't.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:24 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
I think the only way you should be penalized for driving while using a cell phone is if you are obviously driving recklessly (swerving, not going the speed limit, etc...) and then by all means you should be pulled over and get a ticket. The fact is many people can drive while talking on a cell phone without any problems at all, and in my opinion some are able to do it better than many that aren't even on the phone at all. Everyone should not be penalized because of a few. Lets face it, if it was really about safety, cops themselves wouldn't talk on their phones and use their laptops while driving.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:01 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
So OP, did you contest the ticket or are you just pontificating?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive