Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2016, 02:38 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
One problem I see is the massive use of electronics. The older cars one could part under the shade tree, and have at 'er. The newer ones need expensive and proprietary electronic diagnose equipment, and I just don't see hobbyists spending the dollars for that.

JMHO.
I think this is spot on. Over the weekend a friend asked me to use her truck, a late-model Dodge, to run an errand. It's a beautiful truck with lots of bells and whistles, but when I returned we compared it to my old beater 1990 Dodge and mutually decided that with all the electronic gadgetry that is bound to fail over time, it's highly unlikely that anyone will still be driving her truck 25 years from now despite the fact that improvements in drivetrain technology would probably allow the truck to pile up three times as many miles as the older model.

I love the style and ride of many of the older cars, but having driven several on a daily basis in my life I have to say that I don't miss spending several weekends a year cleaning and gapping the plugs, setting the dwell and timing, adjusting the carburetor, and performing a host of other maintenance tasks in order to keep my daily driver in top shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 02:42 PM

770 posts, read 931,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Open your eyes really BIG for this one!

This Chevy was hit by another car going 60 mph. 60 mph is not a "low-speed" accident. Not only did the driver of the Chevy survive, his injuries were nowhere near life-threatening. (Minor laceration on the forehead requiring four stitches, bruises on the right shin, left knee and finger of the left hand.)

You posted a picture of a car that was hit on the passenger side, that the car crumpled inward over TWO FEET and you think you're making some statement about how safe older cars are? If he had been hit on the driver's side, he would be dead... and a lot thinner.

If that accident happened today, the driver would have fared even better in a more modern car.

I can admire classic cars for what they are (I've had several over the years), but there's really no comparison between the safety of modern cars vs their 50's and 60's counterparts.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:49 PM

770 posts, read 931,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I think this is spot on. Over the weekend a friend asked me to use her truck, a late-model Dodge, to run an errand. It's a beautiful truck with lots of bells and whistles, but when I returned we compared it to my old beater 1990 Dodge and mutually decided that with all the electronic gadgetry that is bound to fail over time, it's highly unlikely that anyone will still be driving her truck 25 years from now despite the fact that improvements in drivetrain technology would probably allow the truck to pile up three times as many miles as the older model.
I disagree. If you think (and rightfully so) that there will be advancements in drivetrain technology, why do you not think there will be advancements in electronics?

There have already been advancements in electronics for cars over the past two decades.

For example, the ECU of a Lamborghini Diablo was cutting edge... in 1991. If it failed, it cost $10k from the dealer to replace it.

However, now you no longer have to worry about that, because you can buy a number of aftermarket ECU systems to run the car, and for a LOT cheaper. Electronics have also advanced, and they are constantly getting smaller, more powerful, and more efficient.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:43 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarMaDraMa View Post
Millennials don't like anything unless it's ugly (hipster/dirty 90s style grunge), loud (what the heck is EDM?), and communist-friendly. Kids today have an attitude that states, "if I can't have anything nice, NOBODY else can". This current generation of 20-something neo-nazis is ruining everything.
Well, that escalated quickly.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:55 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
I don't think millennials have interest in any cars, classic or modern. Recently saw a study how millennials don't need cars because of social media. They can just facebook their friends instead of visiting them.
Hmmm, works for so long...until you have an internship and school on different sites and the transit system sucks...

Old 03-29-2016, 06:13 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
You posted a picture of a car that was hit on the passenger side, that the car crumpled inward over TWO FEET and you think you're making some statement about how safe older cars are? If he had been hit on the driver's side, he would be dead... and a lot thinner.

If that accident happened today, the driver would have fared even better in a more modern car.

I can admire classic cars for what they are (I've had several over the years), but there's really no comparison between the safety of modern cars vs their 50's and 60's counterparts.
I was merely countering the claim that people died in low-speed crashes. Not true. Many back then survived moderate and even severe crashes.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:17 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,915,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I was merely countering the claim that people died in low-speed crashes. Not true. Many back then survived moderate and even severe crashes.
Exceptions do not make the rules. Statistically, vehicles are much safer now.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Exceptions do not make the rules. Statistically, vehicles are much safer now.
They are safer now but it's amazing how many times the "exceptions" happened!

According to some people, a classic car is unsafe over 15 or 20 mph!

Old 03-29-2016, 09:53 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
I don't know if this is any indicator, but it seems a lot of today's music videos feature older cars in them. I always wondered who is driving the use of them in the videos. I will say they are not well known cars the a 57 vette or old t-bird, but a lot of lesser know cars from the 60's and 70's.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I don't know if this is any indicator, but it seems a lot of today's music videos feature older cars in them. I always wondered who is driving the use of them in the videos. I will say they are not well known cars the a 57 vette or old t-bird, but a lot of lesser know cars from the 60's and 70's.
That is interesting but not surprising. In general, I think classic cars are much more fun to see in a video than modern cars.

Last edited by Fleet; 03-29-2016 at 11:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive