Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 04:19 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,280,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post
Are you the same CSG that's famous on YouTube? Just asking - yes, that's a serious question.

I've been in multiple Washington DC area traffic jams and consider them to be the worst, but they're still tolerable.
This guy has 30 posts, every one is a new thread, and he never responds back to anyone. Probably just fishing for info and opinions on different subjects for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 05:20 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookEditor View Post
It depends where you are and what time of day. There are parts that it is rarely awful...and others, bring a book.
I used to travel for business and after I retired I drove a semi all over the country. Of all the major metropolitan areas I have driven in, the worst has always been in Eastern seaboard cities. Boston, New York, and Washington DC, are far worse then LA. If the you have only driven in a few places the LA traffic could seem like the worst, it's not. In fact in those cities on the Eastern seaboard it's smarter to park outside the city and take the subway to the inner areas.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:34 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,669,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
This guy has 30 posts, every one is a new thread, and he never responds back to anyone. Probably just fishing for info and opinions on different subjects for some reason.
Interesting observation, but not true. He has two posts in the thread he started about Stupidest Ways you have been injured? (ankle, blood, hairline, tooth) Very odd name for a thread IMO.

Also, he just joined a month or so ago, FEb. 2016, so give him time...........

Old 03-27-2016, 06:41 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
I95 near DC on any given day. Nearly any part of 278 on any given day trying to get into Manhattan from Brooklyn or Queens.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:12 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalam321 View Post
I think I have you guys beat. This was in 2005, Hurricane Katrina which hit and destroyed Lousiana. I lived in Houston, TX. Then a few weeks later there was another Hurricane Rita that was coming towards the Houston area. Everyone evacuated because they were fearing and saw what happened with Katrina. We evacuated to Austin area, which is normally a 3 hours drive. It took us 18 hours. Yes, 18HOURS!!! We left around 7pm, and did not arrive to Austin till the following day around 1pm. It was horrible. Many people ran out of gas, or cars overheated, etc. Luckily we made it ok.
I was looking to see if anyone was going to post about the Rita fiasco. What a mess! There were a couple of dozen people that died in the evacuation when their bus caught fire. BTW--the hurricane didn't hit Houston after all.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:14 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
That had to have been awful! I had a similar situation once and ended up using one of my daughter's disposable diapers to pee in because I was so desperate and there was no place to even get out of the car at all. Luckily, we were in a van and my ex was driving!

Reminds me of this hilarious scene from the movie, "Two Weeks Notice."

https://youtu.be/I-n2ypO_aL4?t=2m9s

(That diaper worked great, BTW!)

LOL I wish I had a diaper at the time and about a dozen baby wipes too.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:18 AM

72 posts, read 70,970 times
I was visiting some friends in Philadelphia. I live in Queens, NYC. It took me five hours once just to get from the Lincoln Tunnel to Queens (about 15 miles)! I guess there was some special event going on or something. It was really bad. Going through Manhattan alone took almost 3 hours.

Yes, I could've gone through Staten Island or gone all the way up to the GWB, but I wasn't smart enough to check traffic conditions before I started heading towards the Lincoln Tunnel.

On an interesting side note, my really good friend who lives in Salt Lake City now said that she's only been in TWO traffic jams in her ENTIRE five year duration of living in Utah! That actually shocked me. Being in traffic is a normal thing throughout much of NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, D.C., even on Sundays.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:55 AM

72 posts, read 70,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I used to travel for business and after I retired I drove a semi all over the country. Of all the major metropolitan areas I have driven in, the worst has always been in Eastern seaboard cities. Boston, New York, and Washington DC, are far worse then LA. If the you have only driven in a few places the LA traffic could seem like the worst, it's not. In fact in those cities on the Eastern seaboard it's smarter to park outside the city and take the subway to the inner areas.
I only got to drive in LA for a week while visiting family in Glendale, but the traffic never seemed to be "bad"... it was just really heavy and slow at times even during rush hour. I felt like I was always cruising at 10 - 20 mph, which isn't really terrible because at least you're still moving!

On the east coast, the vehicle traffic volume is not as much as LA but the roads are in worse condition because the east coast was already densely populated when cars became available for normal middle class Americans. Since the roads are more twisty, narrow, and unorganized, I noticed that the driving style was much different here than in LA. Drivers on the east coast follow more closely, change lanes much more often, and are more prone to do "aggressive" things when compared to LA drivers.
In LA, it was very, very rare to see the same car change lanes more than once in a few minutes. The same can't be said for east coast cities.

And when cars follow closely and cut each other off, it easily creates massive traffic jams that makes cars stop for as long minutes at a time, something that I didn't experience in my one week of driving in LA. If I recall correctly, I think 6 PM on the 405 freeway that goes through the mountains was just 10 - 20 mph cruising and very minimal stop and go (yes, I know it's one week so I can't really judge that much)

Old 03-27-2016, 12:19 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Getting off the freeway coming home from work and being stuck on a side street for over two hours less than a mile from home. A nut case who lived in a nearby apartment complex had broken up with a girlfriend.

He took a patio chair and sat in it in the middle of the road with a gun pointed to his head and threatened suicide. Cops shut down all the side streets around the area while negotiators tried to talk him into giving up.

Finally a police sharpshooter shot the gun out of his hand. Cops rushed in and arrested the guy. He wound up uninjured and in a mental hospital.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:20 PM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Commuting from Calabasas (Los Angeles County) to La Crescenta, one rainy afternoon, during rush hour. One careless idiot in a Camaro rolled his car over on 118 freeway and blocked all of the lanes. 3.5 hours to get home. I was so worn out from being in the car that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive