Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 07:51 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times

Advertisements

I drove a GFs Miata once for a while. Other vehicles towered over me and this is before the large SUV craze hit. Now I would feel like those humans running among the stampeding dinosaurs in the recent King Kong remake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 08:11 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
The Mazda MX5 Miata has been on Car Drivers top 10 list as long or as many times as the BMW 3-Series/M3, Honda Civic, Toyota Camry and Mazda 3 all are huge sales success in their segment with a major cult like following and lots of brand/Customer loyalty.

But I do see it odd naming a two seat convertible sports car as odd to be the world car of the year not in anyway to say the MX5 is bad car just an odd choice IMO

It would make perfect sense for it to be named world sports car of the year though.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:11 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,398,417 times
i owned a miata several years ago and i agree, it is an award winning car. pretty much bullet proof drive train and sold it for the same price i bought it for, three years later!

Old 03-28-2016, 03:26 PM

17,299 posts, read 12,228,591 times
They do have a separate World Performance Car award which was the Audi R8.

They basically judge on how well they achieve their design goal whatever that may be.
Quote:
You may also wonder how such a wide-ranging selection of models that happen to appear in a given year might fairly be compared. Among the 2015 finalists, for example, were the powerful Ford Mustang sports coupé and convertible at one end of the scale and the quirky Citroen C4 Cactus at the other. The answer is to judge each car on its fitness for purpose, across the same set of criteria. The Mustang is clearly meant to be fast, fun, affordable and stylish, this being its primary purpose, and it will be assessed with an emphasis on these qualities. But it will also be judged on real-world practicalities such as running costs, interior space and comfort, because without a decent slice of each of these qualities and more, the car will not be easy to live with.

For the Citroen, by contrast, the emphasis will be on space, practicality, comfort, convenience and low running costs. And because it’s unusually styled, careful attention will be paid to the issue of whether its design has compromised its usefulness.

The fitness for purpose principle enables a Ferrari to be scored using the same criteria as a Fiat 500.
The World view on car awards | The National

Old 03-30-2016, 09:40 PM

919 posts, read 839,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Worthless car for 98% of the population. I would like to know what was the criteria for the selection.
And any five seater car is worthless for like 80% of the world population, I guess

Old 03-30-2016, 10:28 PM

8,328 posts, read 6,419,063 times
I have seen lists of best places to retire and then they list a bunch of places where it's freezing cold. I hate to be cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive