Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 03:12 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Ok, sure but neither is it your business to politely ask someone "How are you doing?" I bet you have asked that of someone before. God forbid we ask someone about their car, we might OFFEND them! *GASP* Better just stick to talking about the weather and other BS small talk topics.
WTF are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 04:42 PM

24 posts, read 43,089 times
I'm an avid car girl and I don't get the idea of garage queens either. I live in Manhattan so I never actually need my car, but I still have a 2005 Lotus Elise which I love. It's kept in a cramped garage in the basement of my apartment. I drive it when I get the chance because it's fun. It's usually dirty on the outside and there are stone chips on the hood. I also have a scrape on the right rear wheel from hitting the curb by accident. During the winter months, it has salt and grime all over it for weeks at a time. In the spring, it has pollen all over it, especially when I drive to the track. It gets detailed twice a year but that's it. The only thing I really care about is regular maintenance like oil changes and stuff.

I think garage queens are only acceptable if it's a true collector car that increases in value. Otherwise, most cars depreciate in value anyway so I don't see a point in keeping it in showroom condition all the time.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:23 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,546 times
My
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky109 View Post
I'm an avid car girl and I don't get the idea of garage queens either. I live in Manhattan so I never actually need my car, but I still have a 2005 Lotus Elise which I love. It's kept in a cramped garage in the basement of my apartment. I drive it when I get the chance because it's fun. It's usually dirty on the outside and there are stone chips on the hood. I also have a scrape on the right rear wheel from hitting the curb by accident. During the winter months, it has salt and grime all over it for weeks at a time. In the spring, it has pollen all over it, especially when I drive to the track. It gets detailed twice a year but that's it. The only thing I really care about is regular maintenance like oil changes and stuff.

I think garage queens are only acceptable if it's a true collector car that increases in value. Otherwise, most cars depreciate in value anyway so I don't see a point in keeping it in showroom condition all the time.
You and everyone in this thread are entitled to opinions on what is 'acceptable' providing they realize that it applies to them, their property, and personal values. No one else should care or 'judge' how you treat your property and life...providing you aren't harming others. Most people do, or believe, things that are not regarded as mainstream by many others. In this country that is perfectly OK as long as no one is harmed.

People should respect others' right to own cars (or houses, horses, electric toothbrushes, or hammers..and...well pretty well anything legal)...and respect their right use them as they choose.

Heck, be a champ and tell the guy you like his ride and how he cares for it. He would likely tell you all about it and why he does what he does.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:28 PM

6,451 posts, read 9,812,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I have a garage queen, a 1989 Lincoln LSC, a one of seven made- the 5.0 engine makes 305 HP vs the standard 225. The one owner car has 35,000 original miles. Ford has tried to buy it back but I like what I have. Mine has never seen the rain and yes, I wash it like I did today and let it idle in the drive to keep the battery up. I drive it about 200 miles a year. Why?. Like that sexy beautiful woman, it just gets more attractive and sexier every year. If it wasn't for us garage queen owners, you wouldn't have a clue what a real one looked like. So I guess you expect that if you own it, you just have to drive it into the ground so that there's none left to look at and enjoy. No thanks. When I take mine out, it usually draws a crowd. Every time I take it to the Ford dealership for inspection the entire shop is out looking at it. I guess it's something you'd have to experience to know what I'm talking about. Maybe one day you'll have a neat ride. FWIW, I also own a 65 Mustang fastback, 289 HIPO, T4, GT, rally pack, redline tires, tissue dispenser, wonder bar radio, Shelby headers, Shelby tower supports, Shelby 4 wheel disc brakes, all factory original and numbers matching. It's rated as Concours. It sits on a friend rotisserie garage that holds 8 cars. I haven't even seen it in 4-5 years although his son does start it once in a while and washes it for me.
I would never have thought a 1989 ford anything is collectible, no matter what engine or options it has lol

Old 04-04-2016, 05:40 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
WTF are you talking about?
Pretttty simple... It's none of your business knowing how a stranger is doing but the question "How are you doing?" is a socially accepted line of inquiry. OP has a simple question about his neighbor of 7 yrs car and instead of a simple answer or white lie, the guy has a broom stick up his ass lol. Can't say anything to people anymore without OFFENDING them.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:53 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
I would want to at least get it out of the garage and get the engine up to operating temperature. No miles extra and everything gets nice and warm. .

I've never owned a car I haven't driven much.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:39 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,687 times
My dad rarely drives his Acura NSX. While I agree with the OP's perspective it is certainly not my place to tell someone their business. I would not have said anything.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:46 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Since it's only a '68 Mustang (which is indeed a great car, IMO) it doesn't make sense to me not getting it out on the road just for the sheer pleasure of it.

I have a '70 Impala I bought in '03 that had only 27,000 original miles on it.

In '11 I updated the front/rear suspension and as money permitted had a GM crate ZZ4 small block, Richmond Gear Super-T10 four speed and 3:55 rear installed.

Weather permitting, I drive it to work, running errands, general driving around, etc. I love to drive it.

To each, their own.
Sounds like a nice car. I have thought and thought about this topic since I sold my last Vega. A lot of people have street rods or restored old cars, antique cars, race cars, that the drive only once in awhile. And thats fine, I just didn't want to keep my car to only drive occasionally. The trouble with mine it was too radical, near a drag only car. But it really bothered me to sell it because I had so much time and money in it and hardly enjoyed it. There was some enjoyment in it building it up.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:44 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
My dad rarely drives his Acura NSX. While I agree with the OP's perspective it is certainly not my place to tell someone their business. I would not have said anything.
What did I tell him?

Old 04-04-2016, 07:55 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I find this pretty hard to believe. The 5.0 made 225 hp, so what is different with your car for an extra 80 horses?
I find that whole post hard to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive