Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 08:23 AM

4 posts, read 2,434 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm looking for a used car now. I found a 2007 Toyota Camry LE with 105k miles. I really like it, but the problem is that the engine looks pretty old with lots of rust and some white marks on the engine cover (please see the photo for details). I wanna ask if I should buy this car? Are these rusts serious and affecting the performance of the car?
Thanks,

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Rusts on car engine-01616_3l4ayog1nm_600x450.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 08:36 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times
I get rust, and I clean and dress my motor twice a year. Go under the motor, see if you can find any fluid leaks. Then check the top of the motor for leaks.

What is inside matters much more than whether or not previous owners kept a motor rust free.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:40 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Simple answer, no, it's not affecting how the engine runs. Cast iron and even steel gets a light rust coating on it pretty quick due to the heat of the engine and the moisture in the air (or even rain water splashing up on it. As the previous poster said, oil leaks are more worrisome than any superficial rust.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:59 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
It's heat shield, not engine. Replaceable item and why bother, actually? Also, should you look at the white streaks on the valve cover, they actually follow ridges on that shield. Wild guess is it's water from underneath tossed there by air streams flowing the heat shield shape.
I actually own an 07 Camry Hybrid and it's a stellar car. About the only caution for the year is water pumps, so find out if it was replaced. Also, look for pink crystals around the pump, pulley and up on the hood insulator right above the belt.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:26 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,208,084 times
Pass on it ... your mechanic will thank you.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:03 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Some corrosion is normal but when you see corrosion like you have around the strut mounts and other places that is usually a good indication the under carriage is going to be in bad shape. That is where you need to look, in addition pay particular attention to the bottoms of the doors and wheel wells.

I picked this up last year, it has 114K on it and for the Northeast it's in phenomenal shape.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:15 AM

Thank you so much for your information. I'll check the bottoms of the doors and wheel wells for rusts. Anyway, could you show me where the strut mounts are as I have very little knowledge of cars. FYI, I'm living in Midwest. Is there any special parts that I need to look at? Many thanks.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I get rust, and I clean and dress my motor twice a year. Go under the motor, see if you can find any fluid leaks. Then check the top of the motor for leaks.

What is inside matters much more than whether or not previous owners kept a motor rust free.
Thanks for your advice. I'll check fluid leaks.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:29 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times
The strut mountings you need to find are at the top, behind your wheels. They contain your shocks and springs, the spring is the metal coil. I just replaced my strut assemblies. You will not be able to view most of what you are trying to find w/o going underneath. Use a flashlight, and look above the springs where the housing meets the frame. Don't be concerned with parts being rusty, tie rod ends always rust. It's the frame above you don't want corroded.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:33 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bean0439 View Post
Anyway, could you show me where the strut mounts are as I have very little knowledge of cars.
The strut mounts are round and when looking at your picture are located in the two rear corners.

Quote:
I'll check the bottoms of the doors and wheel wells for rusts.
Look under the car too, it's going to have surface rust if it was used where they put salt on the road.What you are looking for is if it has gone beyond surface rust and substantially eaten into the metal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive