Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 11:29 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,285,742 times

Advertisements

This is why I listen to MP3s, and not on Pandora, but my own MP3s. No commercials, EVER. I even "rip" DVDs I buy so I can remove all the extras, because I INSIST on being able to skip right to the main selection IMMEDIATELY.

Radio stations have WAY WAY too many commercials. I'm sorry, I don't believe for a minute they need THAT many commercials to stay afloat. There's just no way. If it were up to me, (a) it would be illegal for DVDs to "lock out" fast-skipping the FBI warnings or previews etc, FF/REW would ALWAYS skip no matter what and (b) radio/TV stations would be limited on how many commercials they can have. I would say something like 3 commercials an hour (and 30 seconds in duration), that's it, if you can't stay afloat on that, bye bye. I'm absolutely serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 11:49 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,932,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
This is why I listen to MP3s, and not on Pandora, but my own MP3s. No commercials, EVER. I even "rip" DVDs I buy so I can remove all the extras, because I INSIST on being able to skip right to the main selection IMMEDIATELY.
I have Sirius in my car as well, but I often toggle between that, NPR, and the local stations near the top and middle of the hour to hear local traffic, weather, and what the crooks at the NJ Statehouse are up to these days Therefore I have to put up with a few carnival barkers trying to sell cars now and then...

Old 04-07-2016, 04:45 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,600,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

Radio stations have WAY WAY too many commercials. I'm sorry, I don't believe for a minute they need THAT many commercials to stay afloat. There's just no way. If it were up to me, (a) it would be illegal for DVDs to "lock out" fast-skipping the FBI warnings or previews etc, FF/REW would ALWAYS skip no matter what and (b) radio/TV stations would be limited on how many commercials they can have. I would say something like 3 commercials an hour (and 30 seconds in duration), that's it, if you can't stay afloat on that, bye bye. I'm absolutely serious.
Listen to NPR.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:17 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,932,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Listen to NPR.
LOL...NPR is sort of the other extreme. Instead of some obnoxious guy with tons of reverb added imploring you to "COME ON DOWN!!!" you have people whispering at you to buy Herman Miller Aeron Chairs, Angie's List, and the latest experimental album of ambient sounds produced by an obscure artist from a country you've never heard of and can't pronounce

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frChs4i4qWI

Old 04-07-2016, 06:24 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,285,742 times
[quote=Badfish740;43636065]LOL...NPR is sort of the other extreme. Instead of some obnoxious guy with tons of reverb added imploring you to "COME ON DOWN!!!" you have people whispering at you to buy Herman Miller Aeron Chairs, Angie's List, and the latest experimental album of ambient sounds produced by an obscure artist from a country you've never heard of and can't pronounce

I think I could take that better than the shouting. Regardless, I don't want to hear much of that either, 3 thirty-second commercials an hour should be PLENTY. Anything more than that is way too much.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:37 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,202,653 times
Never hear them anymore....
XM or one of my SD cards keeps the sound of screaming cars sales people in the vehicle next to me.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:01 PM

24,268 posts, read 25,762,958 times
We had to put up with Cal.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0HJALwCNbco

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QOsLdT4slsk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive