Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 09:12 AM

181 posts, read 168,174 times

Advertisements

The Garage Queen thread got me thinking about this subject again. Thought I'd start a separate thread on this, rather than hijack.. Would like to hear rebuttals or why people justify living under the same roof line as their cars. The catalytic converter keeps working up to 30 minutes after you park your car. Fumes are being leaked into living areas, no matter how air tight you think you garage is & slowly poisoning you & your family. The situation is much worse if you have vehicles that require premium fuel.

Attached garages were brought about as part of 'smart growth' & the green agenda programs. These are masked ways of pushing Agenda 21. Forcing people, many city codes now require attached garages, to live under the same roof as your (horse) vehicle is terrible for your health.

I recently (am in the final weeks) built a new home & went round & round w/ a retired Ford engineer who designed my home, about my desire for a detached garage. His final volley was something like, frankly poor people live in houses w/ detached garages. My comeback was poor people live in the barn w/ their horses. Not sure why I had to convince him anyway. I was paying for it & going to live in the house, not the barn/garage.

Prior to this I kept my vehicles parked outside of the garage of homes that I owned w/ attached garages.

Last edited by Ben theredundat; 04-07-2016 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 09:24 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times
I have to agree with the Ford engineer that house with detached garage are perceived as cheaper & tends to be in poorer area. I would suggest have an attach garage maybe just 1 car and then have detached garage right behind it where you do all your parking but for resale value you have one attach garage.

Living in snow nation, I can tell you attach is highly valued to average people so we can warm up our car in our PJ

Old 04-07-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I have to agree with the Ford engineer that house with detached garage are perceived as cheaper & tends to be in poorer area. I would suggest have an attach garage maybe just 1 car and then have detached garage right behind it where you do all your parking but for resale value you have one attach garage.

Living in snow nation, I can tell you attach is highly valued to average people so we can warm up our car in our PJ
I agree that this is the perception as well. But it's misguided & sold to us by the people I referred to in the first part. The american people & many others have also been sold on the idea that fluoridated water is good for their teeth.

Be careful is all I can say.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:32 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
IMO, I'd go for an attached garage....just too convenient.....unloading groceries in the rain, running from the detached garage to the house would get real old fast

Old 04-07-2016, 09:36 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
OP, can you give any verification of what you have said?
Have any studies been done?
Where did you get the information?
I am curious, because we have lived in an "attached garage" house for over ten years, and have never noticed any of the symptoms you call out.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:40 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
In my town there is a limit to how much of a lot can be covered with nonpermeable surface, which includes any buildings OR paved surfaces. To have both a garage and a house with these constraints often requires that some or all of the house be built on top of the garage.

We have not had fumes leaking into the living areas. The house has a whole-house ventilation system, and I usually wait a few minutes after driving in before closing the garage door. There are also a few high windows that can be opened, if needed.

Our former home consisted of a house sited away from the garage, which also had a second floor with living space. In that garage, fumes could spread into the second floor, but that was because the builder had left openings in the staircase. As long as I closed the internal doors to the stairwell, the upstairs was fine, though.

2,013 posts, read 1,428,390 times
Since the cat converts the harmful molecules produced in the exhaust by an operating engine into other compounds, how can it possibly "work" when the car is shut off? I cannot find any information that supports your premise.

The cat converts harmful molecules to Nitrogen gas, Oxygen gas, Carbon Dioxide and water. None of these compounds are harmful in normal concentrations and already exist in atmosphere, so how would these "fumes" harm you?

4,510 posts, read 5,048,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben theredundat View Post
The Garage Queen thread got me thinking about this subject again. Thought I'd start a separate thread on this, rather than hijack.. Would like to hear rebuttals or why people justify living under the same roof line as their cars. The catalytic converter keeps working up to 30 minutes after you park your car. Fumes are being leaked into living areas, no matter how air tight you think you garage is & slowly poisoning you & your family. The situation is much worse if you have vehicles that require premium fuel.

Attached garages were brought about as part of 'smart growth' & the green agenda programs. These are masked ways of pushing Agenda 21. Forcing people, many city codes now require attached garages, to live under the same roof as your (horse) vehicle is terrible for your health.

I recently (am in the final weeks) built a new home & went round & round w/ a retired Ford engineer who designed my home, about my desire for a detached garage. His final volley was something like, frankly poor people live in houses w/ detached garages. My comeback was poor people live in the barn w/ their horses. Not sure why I had to convince him anyway. I was paying for it & going to live in the house, not the barn/garage.

Prior to this I kept my vehicles parked outside of the garage of homes that I owned w/ attached garages.

Talk about a 'belt & suspenders' guy, WOW ! All the problems you have with an attached garage are a million to one odds. You might want to get an outhouse too so that germs and bacteria from the toilet don't get you. You should probably park your car down the street just for safety's sake !

899 posts, read 1,014,821 times
Good thing I do not have cars with catalytic converters in my attached garage, then...poisoning people? Really? Relax...

Old 04-07-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
OP, can you give any verification of what you have said?
Have any studies been done?
Where did you get the information?
I am curious, because we have lived in an "attached garage" house for over ten years, and have never noticed any of the symptoms you call out.
Yes there is a link in my second post about Agenda 21. Also search DR Hulda Clark & her books. She talks about attached garages. Also research Benzene (a known carcinogen) & how it relates to premium fuel. Home Safe Home is another book I can recommend that addresses indoor air quality. Our "poor" ancestors had mostly detached garages before the (agenda 21) sales blitz began.

Last edited by Ben theredundat; 04-07-2016 at 09:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive