Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 02:47 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
....someone appears to be attempting to compensate for some short comings in their little life.

/end thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 02:57 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You can easily get an exhibition of speed ticket for that. It's a ticket for acceleration not actual speeding.
You can't get a speeding ticket unless someone has you on Radar/Lidar/pacing for exceeding the speed limit. Anything estimated will get tossed.

OP may be an aggressive driver but he was within his rights. Unfortunately for OP, over a long driving career aggressive behavior will eliminate one too many chances for accident avoidance and he'll get wrecked.

LiveLeak.com - Guy Slips and Fall to His Death off of High Rise (comments)

Old 04-08-2016, 03:38 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
You can't get a speeding ticket unless someone has you on Radar/Lidar/pacing for exceeding the speed limit. Anything estimated will get tossed.
You don't get it. He's not talking about a speeding ticket for going over the speed limit, he's talking about an "exhibition of speed" ticket, which is any sort of excessive acceleration.

That's a ticket here in TX too. If you floor it off the line, a cop can cite you for it, even if you never break the speed limit.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:01 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
General definition

Reckless driving legal definition of reckless driving

PA law (where the OP lives now)

3736. Reckless driving In the PA Vehicle Code Title 75

Pennsylvania Reckless Driving: Points, Drivers License and Criminal Issues | TrafficViolationLawFirms

Title 75 - PA General Assembly

That would be an "exhibition of speed" mentioned earlier.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:24 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
I don't think the OP was in the wrong at all. This. Time. The idiot trying to turn left is the one who caused all the problems. I agree that quick acceleration can be dangerous, but if that other guy waits his turn then nothing happens.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:10 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
Am I missing something? Didn't he state that the one turning left was in the opposing lane at another light, 800ft away. Almost 3 football fields. If the OP wasn't accelerating like a raging maniac the one making the left would have had plenty of time to do it if the lights turned at the same time. Sounds like all would have been fine if the OP accelerated like a normal human being. Of course that left turner would abort. Of course the other driver would swerve to avoid. And of course the 3rd driver (making a right) would have had to maneuver as well. You just don't accelerate like that at busy intersections when others are around. The OP was driving recklessly and is lucky he didn't, at minimum get a ticket. From his description the cop had every right to write him up. Speeding or not speeding that sounds like classic reckless driving to me!

Old 04-08-2016, 05:18 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,502,557 times
OP: So what you are saying is that you have been saying dumb things on CD for a while and finally got a proof today that occasionally you get lucky doing the same on the road and even cop can't do a damn thing about that. Is that the final message here?

Old 04-08-2016, 05:58 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
OP: So what you are saying is that you have been saying dumb things on CD for a while and finally got a proof today that occasionally you get lucky doing the same on the road and even cop can't do a damn thing about that. Is that the final message here?
The message is that my behavior behind the wheel is completely normal. Could be a role model for driver's ed to use. It is the other drivers that are the problem. If my behavior behind the wheel was bad, would a cop last summer let me go with a warning even though I was driving 20 miles over the speed limit? I told him I thought the posted speed limits were seasonal for the winter time because I've never seen anyone drive the posted limit on that particular stretch of road. When I was in a rush, no one did anything when I parked illegally and left a check written out to the city for the fine for parking illegally on the windshield either. My car and the payment to the city were still there.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:00 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarTheGrouch View Post
You can drive like an arsehat and still be within the law. That doesn't mean your not driving like an arsehat.
Agree.

And it also doesn't mean that you're not responsible for the accident.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:15 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Am I missing something? Didn't he state that the one turning left was in the opposing lane at another light, 800ft away. Almost 3 football fields. If the OP wasn't accelerating like a raging maniac the one making the left would have had plenty of time to do it if the lights turned at the same time. Sounds like all would have been fine if the OP accelerated like a normal human being. Of course that left turner would abort. Of course the other driver would swerve to avoid. And of course the 3rd driver (making a right) would have had to maneuver as well. You just don't accelerate like that at busy intersections when others are around. The OP was driving recklessly and is lucky he didn't, at minimum get a ticket. From his description the cop had every right to write him up. Speeding or not speeding that sounds like classic reckless driving to me!

You are correct, they weren't at the same intersection but 800 ft. (.15 mile) apart. And Mighty Pelican accelerated so fast from his light that the left turner 800 ft. down the road had to stop to avoid a collision. So that left turner was not at fault.

Having said that, 50 mph is roughly 73 feet/second. Something isn't mathing up.
Just got an alarm, this just switched on

A note:
Just because you don't get a ticket for something doesn't mean you're right. It means you didn't get a ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive