Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 11:50 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
The cop wasn't behind him at first. He had just turned on to the road and was headed towards him. McQuade Rd is only a few hundred yards from the Sinclair mentioned in the article. At that time of day, near twilight, deer are on the move between forested areas and the lake. Hitting a deer at that speed would almost surely result in a pretty bad wreck.
Funny you should mention that, because that was my first thought as well. 4 or 5 years ago I collisioned a deer on that very same road, heading south, just 3 or 4 miles north of the Sinclair. I was only doing 70 or so, and it just blew up the front end of my Subaru - not to mention the entire deer. There were deer fragments on the rear window of the Forester.

This is a bad time of year to be speeding up there, because the deer are hungry and just coming out of the woods to find something to eat. They like the areas beside the highway, because it's open and gets a lot of sun, which means the snow melts first. They browse on the exposed grasses and small plants as the snow melts and exposes it. They're not thinking about Camaros; they're hungry and desperate and make irrational choices regarding vehicle traffic. This guy's lucky he got stopped by a cop and not a deer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 12:17 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Highway 61 is pretty winding, and is on the edge of Lake Superior. One wrong move and that driver would have ended up in the lake - or pushing someone else into the lake. I had to drive 61 for work for a while and always found it maddening when tourists (from Minneapolis/St. Paul and the burbs for the most part) just hadta hadta drive that road too fast, making it dangerous for everyone. Slow down and enjoy the scenery and save the high speeds for the salt flats!!!

Old 04-14-2016, 04:37 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
The car should be destroyed for charity. Those events where you can select a baseball bat, sledgehammer, golf club, ax, or a variety of other toys and pay per swing.
He could have just gotten back from Germany, driving the Autobahn, where no ticket would have been issued.

Back in the mid-80's, I rented a car and spent 3 weeks driving around Great Britain, and I was shocked at the driving speeds over there on those motorways, at the time. I had a mid-sized Vauxhaul, and I never had a chance to get into that far left lane, doing 110MPH, as those English Rovers would go swishing by me at? God only knows how fast!

Shortly, after returning to the U.S., I got a speeding ticket!

Old 04-14-2016, 05:44 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
In AZ that is a felony, he would have been arrested on the spot and his vehicle impounded, his license confiscated, and spent the night in jail or until bailed out.
No, its a misdemeanor.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:07 AM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Highway 61 is pretty winding, and is on the edge of Lake Superior. One wrong move and that driver would have ended up in the lake - or pushing someone else into the lake. I had to drive 61 for work for a while and always found it maddening when tourists (from Minneapolis/St. Paul and the burbs for the most part) just hadta hadta drive that road too fast, making it dangerous for everyone. Slow down and enjoy the scenery and save the high speeds for the salt flats!!!
He was on the expressway part from Duluth to Two Harbors, 4 lane divided, not many turns and a mile inland from the lake.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:21 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
I wonder if anyone has tried to turn around and sue/blame the car manufacturer for making a car that goes much faster than any speed limit in the country!

Old 04-14-2016, 06:26 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Must have been going downhill. Stock American cars cannot go that fast.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:53 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,813,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Car & Driver measured a top speed of 172mph for the 2014 Z/28. Even a garden variety SS will go 165mph (governor limited).
Artificial speed limits can be removed by tuning the electronic control unit/powertrain control module, voiding any related warranties in the process.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:58 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
If the cop was using instant on radar, at that speed, it might be too late to do anything but pull over and wait. And if the cop is using pop technology, he would not know until the cop turned the unit on full time. With pop, it is too short of a signal for a detector to sense, but the cop gets a notice someone is speeding, so he turns it on full time, and nails the speeder.

If your doing 170 I would think that by the time he ever got going you would be long gone. Most cop cars only run 140-150ish. Of course it depends what they are driving. But even if they are driving a hemi charger it would take some time to get up to that speed to catch them.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:59 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Must have been going downhill. Stock American cars cannot go that fast.

What??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive