Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 09:39 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Toyota Avalon or Camry. Avalon is the twin of the Lexus ES. Can't go wrong with either car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Most new Toyota Camry SE are faster than your sports compacts. Even surprising many V8 cars on the highway.
All of the "midsize" sedans OP listed have some sporting element to them. A Camry, ES, or Avalon is about as far from sporting as you can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 10:15 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,676,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuralNet88 View Post
Trying to decide between 2 category of cars with a couple of vehicles in each class. In the midsize sedan class I can't choose between the accord, kia optima, ford fusion and volkswagen passat. I'm also considering a used g35 or g37. If I get a little bit more money in the jobs that I'm looking for currently, I'm considering buying a used bmw 328i, mercedes c300, audi a4, acura tlx or infiniti q50.

That's quite a few cars to consider but which cars do you guys think are the best ones in each class and why?
That's a variety... it's really a matter of personal preference. What is it that you want anyway?

Old 05-02-2016, 10:32 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,366,499 times
q50 from that list.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:25 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Most new Toyota Camry SE are faster than your sports compacts. Even surprising many V8 cars on the highway.
can you read?

Old 05-02-2016, 04:49 PM

423 posts, read 609,640 times
OP:

Can't say what is best. Best is different for everyone.

Here is my take. Entry level luxury cars (like BMW 3-series, MB C-class, Audi, Lexus) do drive very differently than mid-size sedans. More power than most needs. Quiet, smooth, stable ride. You can drive 80-90 mph easily and it feels like I'm only going 50 mph. In comparison, mid-size sedans are not like that. Once you get up to 60-70 mph, you hear wind noise and more vibration. Note that stable ride does not equal sporty.

Downside of BMW, MB, and Audi is the repair cost. Be ready to spend 3-5x more than Japanese cars for repairs and maintenance. Not only do services cost more, these cars are less reliable. I own MB C280. My brother owns BMW 330i. And I have friends that own Audi. I don't know anyone who own Lexus, but I hear Lexus is more reliable.

Also, if you are smart on shopping and buy a less desirable car/model, you can get a good deal. In 2006, I purchased new MB C280 for $28k, which was like >$4k below invoice. It was basically same price as Honda Accord or Toyota Camry with equivalent options. BMW 330i and Lexus IS 300 were going for $5k more, simply because they are in higher demand.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:41 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk88cal View Post
Be ready to spend 3-5x more than Japanese cars for repairs and maintenance. Not only do services cost more, these cars are less reliable. I own MB C280. My brother owns BMW 330i. And I have friends that own Audi. I don't know anyone who own Lexus, but I hear Lexus is more reliable. .
3-5X is a gross exaggeration. Parts are maybe 10-30% more. It seems more because many drivers brings it in to dealers. I work on both my euro and Japanese vehicles. I have friends who pushed their bmw 325 well over 150k on the odo with normal maintenance

Old 05-03-2016, 10:58 AM

423 posts, read 609,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
3-5X is a gross exaggeration. Parts are maybe 10-30% more. It seems more because many drivers brings it in to dealers. I work on both my euro and Japanese vehicles. I have friends who pushed their bmw 325 well over 150k on the odo with normal maintenance
For maintenance and repairs, I spent $7k in 10 years on MB C-class; $2.5k in 16 years on Honda. That comes out to $700 per year on MB; $150 per year on Honda. Yup, my MB cost is 4.5x than Honda.

Main issue is reliability. On Honda, in 16 years, I had 2 service issues. Bad oxygen sensors; idle air control valve clog. That's it. Everything else standard maintenance. Note that I didn't do the timing belt change.

On MB: tons of issues. I had 3 different automatic transmission issues that affected shifting; luckily these occurred when car was under warranty; and no transmission issues since. Windshied wiper fluid pump failed twice; power window failed on 2 different windows; fuel door actuator/lock failed; wheel alignment; etc; etc.

An example on parts. Let's use Fram engine air filter, which has much more reasonable prices than mfg OEM part prices. Engine air filter for Honda is $8. For MB, it cost $15 and I need 2 filters.

And my cost doesn't even include the BS 15k, 30k, etc service checks. I just do maintenance (actual replacement) per manufacturer recommended mileage.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:21 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
I'd look at the Acura and the Mercedes, but not the C-Class, the E-Class. It's a better vehicle, and more refined, with a greater long-term track record, though it is not as sporting as the competition, but does offer a sport model. There is a difference with Acura and Honda, where the Acura is quieter, better materials and increased plushness, though the Accord is a compelling car in its segment. I'd also consider an Acura TL or a TSX, as both were good vehicles, and will be priced more in line with the regular sedans you're considering. The Lexus IS is a nimble vehicle, but not exactly a sports car, but a good all around sedan with some sporting overtones in a compact size, and a nice cabin with many refinements. The 3-Series is one of the first sport sedans, and can be a good buy, especially if you buy a CPO, but I've had more issues with BMW than Mercedes, though the BMW is much more engaging to drive, and I would not dismiss one simply because it may be a tad more finicky.

The Genesis is a good vehicle, too, similar to the Mercedes in the blend of performance and comfort. The Avalon/ES are good cars, but very soft and plush, akin to a Buick-like ride, not in the least bit sporty, even if Toyota does try to claim the ES is a luxury sport sedan. I am not a fan of the A4, but the A6 is a better vehicle, I find, for the money, as it offers more space and tends to perform very well, and reliability is not bad for modern A6 vehicles. It really comes down to size, because the E-Class, Genesis, A6, and Accord are larger than the TLX, IS, TSX, 3-Series, C-Class, but I find the slightly larger sedans to be more versatile, personally, as I would pick a different car as a sporting vehicle, such as BMW M or Mercedes AMG, which I do not recommend as running costs will be much higher than the other vehicles you are considering.

I'd also take a look at the Volvo S60 as it offers a blend of performance and luxury features in a different sort of execution than the German and American vehicles that you are considering. Like Audi, it's a FWD vehicle, but handles well, and has the option of AWD, similar to Audi with the Quattro. The base engine offers decent performance but the turbo adds extra power when needed, without sacrificing economy.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-04-2016, 02:27 PM

97 posts, read 58,474 times
Narrowed it down to used Honda Accord EXL V6, Kia Optima SX Turbo, Ford Fusion Titanium, Acura TL, BMW 328i and Audi A4 Quattro. It really depends on what job I get and how much it pays(I'm starting out in IT and am looking at between 14-20 dollars an hour roughly). I'm also mostly just looking for opinions on what people themselves prefer and why.

Also what is the most gas mileage that I should get with a used car? All of the cars above will probably be used unless I get paid well enough to get a new one.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:52 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,231,152 times
Look on here. It varies depending on the year/model.

Find and Compare Cars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive