Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 11:38 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,813,797 times

Advertisements

I've been rear ended 3 times while stopped at traffic lights. Only got whiplash once, it was a pretty big truck that hit me.

I broadsided someone who ran a red light. Fortunately I had an off duty police officer behind me when it happened because the guy who ran the light claimed that his light was green and mine was red. I had a nasty case of whiplash from that one.

I had someone side swipe me when their lane was ending and they didn't bother to look before moving into my lane. I had another time that someone sideswiped me when they decided they didn't want to wait for the light in their lane anymore and turned into my lane when I was right next to them.

I spun out on black ice once on my way home from work late one night. I didn't hit anything, thankfully.

I got lucky one time recently when I was on the highway driving along at approximately 80 mph when a tractor trailer blew a tire and it came flying right at me. I ran over it and it did $2000 worth of damage to my car, but I didn't swerve when it happened because if I had, either I would have lost control or would have caused another driver to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 01:19 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
sine 1975 when i first got my license, i have been in two accidents, one my fault, one not.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:50 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,449,016 times
Two. Both of them with me driving. One of them was in Miami where I merged lanes in a sort of panic, totally my fault, I accidentally cut off an 18-wheeler which honked at me and I went to the right lane without checking mirrors and bumped against a car. The lady told me to pull over and I panicked. We pulled over to a gas station and she asked for my insurance. I told her it was my mom's car and I went to call her. She then said "You know what, I'm running late. Also, you're lucky this is a muscle car (there was like, no damage to hers really) just be careful next time, honey." She was really nice. When I gotta class that day I drove home in pouring rain with my eyes glued to the road and my hands firmly on the wheels. A life lesson.

Second one was recently, actually it was last Sunday here in Denton. I was driving my roommate to work, and it was at night and pouring rain. My contacts had torn and I was awaiting new boxes in the mail. I was wearing my other roommate/ex-boyfriend's glasses which work good for up close but not so great for afar. Combine the poor visibility, fogging windshield which would not defog because of the defroster not working AND the already slick roads, I ended up going straight on a left turning lane (not at a signal light, just the road) and hit the median head on. I hit the brakes before but they did not stop fast enough. I was the only one that could drive as my roommate does not have a licence, and my other roommate was working so I had to make due with glasses that aren't my exact prescription.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:04 PM

82 posts, read 116,331 times
Too many. I've been rear ended... hmm. 5 times. I've been t-boned once, side swiped twice, and have t-boned someone once (they ran a red light and I smashed into the side of them.)

Accidents that have been my "fault" there's just two, and both are dubious. One I spun out and hit an embankment as I turned a corner in the road, there was a dump truck that had spilled sand right on the road at that corner, I hit it and lost traction, didn't hit anyone, but caused me to run off the road. Another I was merging onto a highway at the same time someone was exiting, and they didn't see me at all, causing me to have to slam on my brakes while the wheel was slightly turned, it was wet and the back end came around, slid over a curb.

This doesn't even count the times I've been hit/run off the road when I used to have a sportbike.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:09 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,576,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comedyshortsgamer View Post
for me - (touch wood) 0
This question made me think.

The number is at least 8, probably more like 10. I had two crashes in the last 60 days after going without an accident for over 20 years.

Seems to have something to do with adapting driving style to a new area with different patterns.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:38 PM

604 posts, read 855,940 times
Twice. Both times my car was totalled and it was the other driver's fault.
First one came around a 35 mph blind curve at about 60 and hit me as I was turning left. Hit with enough force to break my front axle. It was my first brand new car and I had owned it for 6 months when it happened.
Second one was a girl in her mom's SUV, doing about 35 and not paying attention as the rest of us were stopped for a light. Crushed the back of my car and pushed me into the car in front of me. They had to take a pry bar to the door to get me out.
By some miracle I wasn't injured in either crash.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:09 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,309,730 times
When I was in fourth grade I was a back seat passenger in a car that was rear ended. That's all I can think of. That was about 35 years ago.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:43 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,081 times
I rear-ended one of my teachers on the way to school one morning, that's ONE.

I spun in the ice and went nose first into a cement retaining wall, that's TWO.

Three of us were out late at night racing around in the hills and we ended up in the trees upside-down, that's THREE.

I was following my boss in his car and slid off the road in the ice in light roll-over, that's FOUR.

An idiot in the oncoming lane turned left in front of me and I skidded into the side of his van with my 1969 Chevelle, that's FIVE.

I was parked in a Truck Stop parking stall (in a big rig) late at night sleeping and I awoke to the sound of thunder as a truck trying to back into the stall next to me put his trailer into the side of my cab, that's SIX.

I was parked in a Truck Stop parking stall on the end of the row when a trailer caught the nose of the truck and pulled it clean off of the frame, that's SEVEN.

I was distracted in thought when I plowed into the back of a car at an intersection, that's EIGHT.

These were all major damage accidents.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:43 PM

757 posts, read 1,328,084 times
I have been in 3.

1. A lady ran a stop sign and hit the side of our car and spun us around in the intersection. Nobody injured.

2. A man came out of a driveway and hit my car while I was driving past. Nobody injured.

3. I rolled my pick up truck on the freeway and was ejected from the vehicle. Nobody injured but me. I severed some tendons and had lacerations all over my legs and back. In the hospital for 3 days and on crutches and in wheelchair for several weeks after.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:58 PM

876 posts, read 812,518 times
I have been in two accidents about 25 years apart. In both, my cars were totaled, but neither one caused injuries requiring treatment. They accidents happened under nearly identical circumstances in which the oncoming vehicle made a left in turn front of me and I hit the right side of their cars at about 30-35 mph.

Even though the combined speed of the cars was much slower in the second collision (the other car was just accelerating from a stop), it felt like I hit a concrete pillar due to the angle the vehicles collided, there was no dispersal of energy.

My only injury was a slightly bruised forearm which happened when my hands were knocked from the steering wheel. I've heard that you shouldn't brace yourself like that because it can cause wrist, thumb, hand and arm injuries.

But it's an instinctual reaction and hard to NOT brace for it when you see an impending head on collision. What are you supposed to do? Is it a bad idea to grip the steering wheel and brace if you have time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive