Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is Dumber?
Lifted Truck 9 20.45%
Lowered Car/Truck 35 79.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 04:18 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times

Advertisements

Some people like to play in the mud, so for them a significantly lifted truck (done correctly!) with tires in the 38 and above range are the way to go. My puny 35's with a 3" boost would leave my truck buried to the frame in that kind of mud. So there is a purpose other then looks.

In my previous life I had a "wanna be" mud truck. A 79 bronco with 4 susp, 3 body and 39.5" swampers. It was primered to boot so it had the look. And to further make it "right" I swapped in 4.56 gears and an old Lincoln 460 so it had the go. Problem was is that I lived in the suburbs and had no access to land so it was basically a pavement pounder. Though I did drive a lot on the beaches of NC so it was at least used, just not for what it was built as. Though with those big tires and low gears, I had absolutely no problem driving on the beach in 2WD, which I had to do occasionally when my rear drive shaft went out. Front wheel drive monster bronco!

Now, I'm ordering a 3" body lift to add to 3" already on my Ram to go up to 37's. Again, I'll be able to run aggressive treads for muddy corn fields during hunting season but can easily go out on the beach with the footprint I'd have. Great for both purposes. Besides,. I miss having a lifted truck as I think they look good. And yes, if I keep it clean and looking good the extra "visibility" could perhaps draw attention to my lettering advertising my boat detailing business!

One thing about modern trucks is that they have larger wheel wells so oversized tires can be added without muck, if any, of a lift. In the past, the Fords had the most room as 33's went stock easily and 35's went on with about 3 inches. Dodges needed a lift to put 33's now all they need is a bit of a boost and 35's clear no problem. The Ford super duties? There "old truck comparison" would probably be a 70's era "high boy"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 05:02 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Now the big giant trucks with 38 inch tires 8 inch lifts can't tow 5th wheels and goosenecks. They are simply show. They can bumper pull if you have the right drop hitch. But working out of a lifted truck is a pita. Unfortunately most of those "big" lift truck drivers tend to drive like complete boneheads.
Yep totally for show, like mine last Friday put on the show of pulling out a regular Dodge stuck in the mud, and a lifted Chevy with 33"'s stuck trying to pull out the Dodge.

Dodge was on it's pumpkins, the Chevy on it's right side axle, A arm, and side rail.

Now I will admit that with high lifts, dunnage, a dead man, winches, come alongs and several hours of back breaking labor we could have achieve the same result. But vehicles are supposed to be labor saving devices.

So yes my 38" booted V10 is totally for show, normally showing the people who think that 33" tires on some of the off road areas around where I live isn't sufficient.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:43 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Just wondering, which do you guys think is dumber. Personally I don't see a point to either option.
I think lowered is dumber. You get enough damage to a car's front end going in and out of some parking lots. Lowering means you're going to crush the front end in some places.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:30 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I think lowered is dumber. You get enough damage to a car's front end going in and out of some parking lots. Lowering means you're going to crush the front end in some places.

Not always true. As I've said, I've lived with severely lowered cars on a daily basis with no problems.

I wish people would talk from experience and not just out their asses.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:34 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Raising for extreme off roading makes sense to me. But you have to understand, you are making your vehicle unsafe. There are very few people who actually need a raised vehicle. Raising for looks or lowering makes no sense. If the car can be safely lowered and made to handle better, why did the teams of professional engineers not lower it in the design? If your answer is "Well the 35 engineers who worked together for 4 years to design my car just are not as smart as I am" Then there is no point in further discussion. Some people say, well they just do not think about it, or they do not care about improving performance. Or if you think they design just based on "average" aesthetic preferences, sorry, you have no idea what goes into car design.

Now beefing up an engine may be a somewhat different story. They have to meet MPG and emissions standards. They have to make the car quiet enough and they have to be concerned for safety. If none of these things matter to you compared to having more power, then it might be worthwhile. However messing with the suspension, without a professionally engineered modification designed specifically for your make and model is dangerous. I would never consider buying any used vehicle that has been raised or lowered.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Raising for extreme off roading makes sense to me. But you have to understand, you are making your vehicle unsafe. There are very few people who actually need a raised vehicle. Raising for looks or lowering makes no sense. If the car can be safely lowered and made to handle better, why did the teams of professional engineers not lower it in the design?

Because they are mass market compromises that have to appeal to the widest market possible and more uses than any single individual will use the car for. THAT'S why.

So I will modify the mass market compromise to make it suitable for my SPECIFIC use and desires. Not yours. Get it?

Old 05-27-2016, 05:44 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
However messing with the suspension, without a professionally engineered modification designed specifically for your make and model is dangerous. I would never consider buying any used vehicle that has been raised or lowered.
I like lifted trucks and agree with this. Now days, with the complex independent front suspensions, the aftermarket designers have come up with safe and well engineered suspensions that have been put through the tests with similar setups in off road racing. It is hard, on a modern vehicle, to backyard engineer a suspension and the commercially available ones are right pricey. Now, back in the 80's when live axles were still on practically every half ton and mini 4x4, there were a lot of "redneck" engineered lifts designed by alcohol, including oversized double stacked rear blocks, front blocks, etc. Those trucks were rolling death traps for somebody, but a well engineered aftermarket suspension system can be quite safe. Yes, they do affect handling, we all know that, don't we?

there is more then just springs in a lift as the higher the springs go (or lower as well) the whole geometry of the suspension changes and those other parts on down the line need to be changed as well. One of the reasons I prefer a mild suspension with a body lift. The mild suspension is a little easier on parts such as the drive line (not as hard of an angle on the shafts u-joints) and the body lift raises the wheel wells up a bit more but keeps the center of gravity down as the frame and drive train only go up with tires. But the kind of offroading I do does not necessitate an awful lot of clearance at mid frame. Flat land eastern MD, body lifts are fine!

Old 02-15-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrich View Post
Lowering a car or truck is way too Hispanic for my tastes.

Racist much?

Old 02-15-2017, 10:20 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Racist much?

"Hispanic" isn't a race. I think the word you're looking for is xenophobic.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:03 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrich View Post
Lowering a car or truck is way too Hispanic for my tastes.
Lifting a truck makes it much less road worthy and potentially deadly for a small car involved in a crash with said lifted truck. Lifted truck are not fun to drive on asphalt, they ride rough and wander.
If you drive a lifted truck on the streets then carry maximum insurance.
Wrong.

Lifting a truck (if done properly) makes it no less road worthy than a stock height vehicle. My truck is solid axle (front and rear) lifted on 35" tires and it does not ride rough nor wander. But the steering has been beefed up when the larger tires were put on to compensate. It has dual steering stabilizers, larger sway bars, a steering box brace, longer and better shocks, and rides just as well as my wife's stock height SUV.

This is all opinion and not one iota of it is based upon fact.

I've owned everything from a turbo 4 cylinder Toyota Tacoma (lowered 4/4) that handled like a sports car, a lowered Audi A4 that drove like it was on rails, to this 6k lb lifted truck. All of them have driven the exact same because the suspension was set up properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive